Rumor: Watchmen's Matthew Goode to Play CGI-ed Superman

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Watchmen's Matthew Goode to Play CGI-ed Superman

The Superman reboot is rumored to star Watchmen's Ozymandias as the Man of Steel, wearing a CGI suit.

Director Zack Snyder (Watchmen, Sucker Punch) is directing the newest film in the Superman franchise, and may very well cast Matthew Goode in the titular role. Goode played Adrian Veidt, also known as Ozymandias, in 2009's Watchmen, and Snyder, like Superman producer Christopher Nolan, often casts favored actors in multiple projects. MovieNewz is reporting that now "Snyder wants Goode to play mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent and has plans to rely heavily on CGI for The Man of Steel."

In addition to casting and costuming rumors, the buzz is this film will focus on a young Clark Kent, and his transition to Superman. What's Playing quotes "a character breakdown issued to casting agencies, "a document apparently indicating not only will the film focus on Kent, but "the plot involves Clark getting involved in some sort of battle between two tribes in West Africa."

Computer-generated superhero suits are not on the horizon so much as already here; Ryan Reynolds will don the digital duds in The Green Lantern, due out June 17 of next year. Snyder's Superman is looking at a release date sometime in 2012.

Source: MovieNewz, What's Playing, via io9

I'm a little apprehensive with the heavy CGI in Superman, but it's really difficult to try to say otherwise about him, considering I know so little of the Mythos already.

But I'm not worried about Matthew Goode. I liked his performance of Ozymandias, and of the few performances I have seen with him, he's done little to make me dislike him. I'd say as long as [Zack] Snyder and [Christopher] Nolan are associated with the new Superman, I'm in.

Weird. I heard the guy who played Flash in Spiderman was going to be the next Superman. Not sure where I got that.

I don't know. Goode is an alright actor, but to play the man of steel? He doesn't have the physique or the crazy square jawline.

Oh good lord.. him as as a cg Supes and a new take on Smallville as the plot.. along with Zod (yet again..).

This movie is dead before it has even started.

I want his fucking hair.

OT: Welp, wasen't planning on seeing this anyway. CGI'ed Superman? Don't they realize that our tech isn't good enough yet to completely convince? Have they not seen the hilarious trailers for The Green Lantern?

Some things just can't yet be done with CGI. One is faces, the other is superhero suits.

At least it's not Billy Crudup; it'd be two hours of Superman with his dick hanging out.

He looks like he has the body for The Riddler. I can see why they are CGIing his super suit. He will need broader shoulders than that.

I swear some of these new CGI technologies are coming straight out of Idoru.

Is there some rule in Hollywood that says you have to sabotage a Superman film before you even start filming it? Bullets bounce of his chest, but stupid ideas seem to stick.

Commander Breetai:
At least it's not Billy Crudup; it'd be two hours of Superman with his dick hanging out.

Funniest thing I've read all day...and I've been depressed today. Thank you for that.

There better not be a CGI suit. It makes sense for the Green Lantern, because it needs to be able to mold to do all types of crazy crap, but Superman's suit is completely ordinary, and has no business being CGI.

P.S. Thanks

Am I the only one thinking, "Who needs actors when there's CGI?"

This.... could... work...

Clark Kent is an average nobody, but Supes is a larger than life character: You'll never find a real life actor who'll be able to fill out the Superman costume in all the right places. Every live-action Superman costume to date has looked like a pair of pajamas, and if they need to use CGI in order to make the Man of Steel look like the MAN of STEEL, then I'm willing to give them a shot.

Look's like instead of a blue CGI dork, Zack is giving us a blue CGI bulge this time ;)

This whole idea is worse than giant spiders.

Matthew Goode I might actually be able to buy, but dear God not with the blond hair.
I am a bit lost on the CGI suit idea, Superman's suit and cape is a physical thing unlike GL's.
The Hollywood Costume industry aren't going to be big fans of this, either.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
"Snyder wants Goode to play mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent

What?

and has plans to rely heavily on CGI for The Man of Steel."

WHAT?

"the plot involves Clark getting involved in some sort of battle between two tribes in West Africa."

what.

All Superman needs to inspire awe is an awesome actor in blue tights.
And you don't even need the tights:
Alright, Youtube has failed me. Superman: The Movie, 1978. Clark is in Lois' penthouse while she's in the other room getting ready. He decides to tell her who he really is. He takes off the glasses... and he's Superman. He may be wearing Clark's monkey suit, but with a simple shift in his bearing, he is the Last Son of Krypton.
Hell, the man managed to say "truth, justice, and the American way" without a hint of either irony or cheese.
Sure, fly him around with CG if you must. But the suit? Come on. I was forced to watch The Expendables today, and let me tell you, CGI is not that advanced.
Don't even get me started on the African tribe business.

shogunblade:
I'd say as long as [Zack] Snyder and [Christopher] Nolan are associated with the new Superman, I'm in.

Snyder and Nolan have made some really great movies in the past, and are very very good at keeping to the existing lore.
If anyone can make a good re-creation that will satisfy most of the die-hard fans, they can.

Lazarus Long:
I was forced to watch The Expendables today, and let me tell you, CGI is not that advanced.

What do you mean?
All those stunts were totally done by the actual actors!
LOLOLOLOLOL, ok, I can't even type that with a straight face xD

Torrasque:

shogunblade:
I'd say as long as [Zack] Snyder and [Christopher] Nolan are associated with the new Superman, I'm in.

Snyder and Nolan have made some really great movies in the past, and are very very good at keeping to the existing lore.
If anyone can make a good re-creation that will satisfy most of the die-hard fans, they can.

Not with a plot and gimmicks like the above they won't... Anyway.. who are you to speak for 'most'? :o

Fumbleumble:
This whole idea is worse than giant spiders.

I see what you did there...

But, why have a CGI costume? The reason they're using that in Green Lantern is because it's supposed to look like something created by the energy of the ring. Superman's costume isn't like that, it's just a normal costume!

Fumbleumble:

Torrasque:

shogunblade:

Not with a plot and gimmicks like the above they won't... Anyway.. who are you to speak for 'most'? :o

lol, I know well enough that there are three types of fans for anything:
Casual fans: They like it, but don't get really immersed in the details. Most WoW players are like this, and will say "who is Grom Hellscream?"
Dedicated fans: They love it, get immersed in the lore, and actively learn all they can about the thing. These guys go to conventions and think about getting [insert franchise here] tattoos, artwork, collectables, etc.
Hardcore fans: That franchise is their life. They collect alot of the collectables, know just about everything there is to know about that franchise, and wish they lived in their franchises' world every waking moment. For example, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms

Hardcore fans will nitpick the details wrong with LOTR movies, get angry when Elektra's outfit isn't as scandalous as it was in the comic book, and get annoyed when a quote from the comic book is off by a few letters.

Most movies based on books (so, most movies) don't get every single detail bang on, but Snyder and Nolan have a pretty good history of doing as such. I speak for 'most' because for some things, I am a kinda-hardcore fan, and get annoyed when little/big details are missed/fucked up.

EDIT: Which is why I think the LOTR movies are pathetic compared to the books.

Fumbleumble:
Oh good lord.. him as as a cg Supes and a new take on Smallville as the plot.. along with Zod (yet again..).

Sounds more like Birthright adaptation then a smallville redo, but sure.

Torrasque:

Fumbleumble:

Torrasque:

Casual fans: They like it, but don't get really immersed in the details. Most WoW players are like this, and will say "who is Grom Hellscream?"
Dedicated fans: They love it, get immersed in the lore, and actively learn all they can about the thing. These guys go to conventions and think about getting [insert franchise here] tattoos, artwork, collectables, etc.
Hardcore fans: That franchise is their life. They collect alot of the collectables, know just about everything there is to know about that franchise, and wish they lived in their franchises' world every waking moment. For example, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyMB19q7ms

Hardcore fans will nitpick the details wrong with LOTR movies, get angry when Elektra's outfit isn't as scandalous as it was in the comic book, and get annoyed when a quote from the comic book is off by a few letters.

Most movies based on books (so, most movies) don't get every single detail bang on, but Snyder and Nolan have a pretty good history of doing as such. I speak for 'most' because for some things, I am a kinda-hardcore fan, and get annoyed when little/big details are missed/fucked up.

Ok.. so we both know what hardcore means... now tell me.. in the above description, what exactly do you think is going to be the big draw?

Elijin:

Fumbleumble:

If you think it's going to be that worthwhile I fear you'll have a long fall :/

Fumbleumble:

Torrasque:

Fumbleumble:

Ok.. so we both know what hardcore means... now tell me.. in the above description, what exactly do you think is going to be the big draw?

Most hardcore fans will probably dislike the use of CGI, and delving into Superman's past, but CGI is used in most superhero movies already.

I'm saying that Snyder will do a pretty satisfying job with the storyline, and potentially make the fans not hate the use of CGI.

Torrasque:

Fumbleumble:

Torrasque:

Most hardcore fans will probably dislike the use of CGI, and delving into Superman's past, but CGI is used in most superhero movies already.

I'm saying that Snyder will do a pretty satisfying job with the storyline, and potentially make the fans not hate the use of CGI.

Really?.. That's where we differ.. I don't think Snyder has done anything in the past that would have prepared him for such a character as Supes, and I fear than Nolan is the wrong way to go also.. You can't just slap Supes in 'dark and gritty' and expect it to work the same way as Batman fits it like a glove, and from everything I've read WB want a dark and gritty Supes :/ (dumbasses)..

So what we'd actually get is a dark and gritty script, shot by an action director and all the while watching nothing but the joins in the cgi suit, and expecting them to get the character right... I mean WTF!?!!?

If they don't get it right this time they'll have officially murdered the franchise for years to come.

But TBH.. the suit HAS to be real.. that's one of the most funs parts.. the awsome iconic costume.. you can mess with the bats' depending on how you want to play it... but you can't mess with the Supersuit.. I still say a HUGE reason why SR was so much fail was because the suit looked dumb, and I wasn't the only one to think that.

But anyway.. Goodes face is all the wrong shape for him to be a convincing Supes.. I still say leave it 5 years and get Weliing to do it... he's the absolute image of Supes and with a couple more years he could be the build too (or not too far off it).. and the extra age might allow him some time to mature.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
"the plot involves Clark getting involved in some sort of battle between two tribes in West Africa."

And people wonder why I have no faith in Hollywood...

Everything in mentioned in this thread as possibilities for the new Superman movie sound terrible. The polt involving two tribes in West Africa sounds dumb, the CGi suit concpet sounds dumb. Goodes as Supes is no tso dumb as it is a miscast, he just doesn't strike me as looking like or portraying Clark/Superman.

I´m gonna quote Shia Labouef (pick any one of his movies) on this one:

No, no. Nonononononononono!

I like Joe Manganiello, who was supposed to play Superman from what I heard, only because he grew up down the road from me. Matthew Goode, though, is a GOOD choice. Puntastic!

dt61:
I like Joe Manganiello, who was supposed to play Superman from what I heard, only because he grew up down the road from me. Matthew Goode, though, is a GOOD choice. Puntastic!

A skinny blond bloke with a round face and no jaw.... how is he a good choice? (or was it all joke?)

DiMono:

Elizabeth Grunewald:

]

Everyone keeps blaming the story on hollywood....from what they're saying, they're adapting Birthright by the looks of it. This is an origin tale they recently redid. It exists before superman decided to be superman, and is just clark kent the jouralist. It was more about him deciding to find a way to use his powers to help people, with the tribal conflict being a backdrop, since he is a journalist covering poverty/warzone material. Its actually pretty interesting as far as origins go. Obviously it will have to divert from the comic a bit based on what they've said since his outfit doesnt even really feature in Birthright.

As to Fumbleumble - Im not really concerned either way, I just find it odd that people are chalking this up to 'Hollywood makes crap up to sell shit while butchering the core idea'

/Shrug

Elijin:

DiMono:

Elizabeth Grunewald:

If you think it's going to be that worthwhile I fear you'll have a long fall :/[/quote]

Everyone keeps blaming the story on hollywood....from what they're saying, they're adapting Birthright by the looks of it. This is an origin tale they recently redid. It exists before superman decided to be superman, and is just clark kent the jouralist. It was more about him deciding to find a way to use his powers to help people, with the tribal conflict being a backdrop, since he is a journalist covering poverty/warzone material. Its actually pretty interesting as far as origins go. Obviously it will have to divert from the comic a bit based on what they've said since his outfit doesnt even really feature in Birthright.

Fumbleumble:

Elijin:
[quote="Fumbleumble" post="7.246949.9058253"]Oh good lord.. him as as a cg Supes and a new take on Smallville as the plot.. along with Zod (yet again..).

Im not really concerned either way, I just find it odd that people are chalking this up to 'Hollywood makes crap up to sell shit while butchering the core idea'

/Shrug

It doesn't matter what the 'core' will be.. you just KNOW they'll butcher it anyway. Hollywood has NEVER stuck enough to source for anything to be recognisable.

Anyway, as for 'African tribes'.. wasn't it the Mexican Jungle he was in in Birthright?

Fumbleumble:

dt61:

A skinny blond bloke with a round face and no jaw.... how is he a good choice? (or was it all joke?)

I mean he's a pretty good actor. How many times have you seen actors beef up and dye their hair for parts? All the time. Also I was dying to make the pun.

It was some tribal conflict with one tribe being the oppressed and the other the oppressee's and then there was some killing and some intimidation and so forth. The usual. But Africa, definately.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here