Online Congestion Crippling Single Player Mode in Gran Turismo 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Online Congestion Crippling Single Player Mode in Gran Turismo 5

Sony is restricting access to certain online features in Gran Turismo 5 while it tries to get everyone's cars back up to speed.

A smooth ride in Gran Turismo 5 may involve the switching off of routers or the yanking of Ethernet cables, as Sony has warned that anyone playing the game with their PS3 hooked up to the internet might be in for a less-than-perfect experience.

GT5 is currently experiencing "extreme online traffic congestion." This isn't that an unusual for a highly anticipated, high-profile game so soon after its launch, but because the game accesses the servers on menus and in various screen displays in GT Mode, it's slowing down the single player game as well. In order to help alleviate the problem, Sony has prevented the viewing of user logs, and in some cases, prevented changes to user profiles or friends lists. While it works towards a more long-term solution, Sony is recommending that people disconnect their PS3s from the internet and play in offline mode.

Sony and Polyphony Digital clearly underestimated how much of a workout the GT5 servers would get, but hopefully the situation can be resolved quickly. It's a shame it's intruding on the single player game as well, but there is at least a solution for that problem - as rough and ready as it may be.

Online gaming might seem commonplace, but in reality it's still new ground for a lot of game makers, who have likely barely thought about online elements in single player games before. This doesn't excuse the problems that GT5 players are experiencing, but you can at least understand why they're happening. It seems pretty likely that we'll see this problem a few more times from various titles, as developers and publishers fine tune how they weave online elements into their games, but with any luck, the problems will be few and far between.

Source: Kotaku

Man, am I glad I don't like racing games.

el_kabong:

These were my exact thoughts, literally exactly what I was going to type...It's uncanny.

el_kabong:

Man, am I glad I don't like the PS3!

*pets his Xbox that has never had a game mess up quite as monumentally as GT5 before*

Sony never ceases to find ways to be underwhelming. Why have menu screens loading through servers in single player? What then does that do to those actually playing MP? Gamer 1 "Man, this is lagging!!" Gamer 2 "Yeah, there must be alot of people playing single player." Gamer 1 "WTF?"

imgunagitusucka:
Why have menu screens loading through servers in single player?

To get players used to it then they can make a few adjustments and BAM! 'always online' DRM comes to consoles.

Massive, unadulterated and inexcusable fail.

This should never happen. Ever. its pure idiocy on the developers bahalf. Imagine if this happened with Halo Reach or Black Ops????

Im outraged and i dont even own a PS3.

Wait, you mean consoles connect to the Internet?

/still plays GT4 on the old PS2

Clearly the solution was to add more Nissan Skylines to the game.

Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection>Disable.

Am I the only one who knows that feature exists? Seriously, no need to yank your shit out.

Unless you want to.

You know you want to.

DO ET.

So let's recap:

The game was delayed.

The game was scaled down.

The single-player is actively crippled by the multiplayer when the multiplayer is not in use.

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

So....... it's a game from 2005? It's only 'new' to developers who have not released a game in the last 5 years or so or released a game on rhe PC in the last 15 years. You would think in FIVE YEARS they would iron out a problem as simple as "Having the game online AT ALL fucking breaks it". I have not seen problems of this kind and this basic in online implementation since the early days of XBL/ PS2 online.

To sum up the whole GT 5 saga i would have to say; "Herp Derp! 1000 carz!"

Cyan.:

This should never happen. Ever. its pure idiocy on the developers bahalf. Imagine if this happened with Halo Reach or Black Ops????

You are outraged about that? It's not like the game is totally broken, and like it actually erases everything on the disk. It's merely slowed down. They are working on the problem.

I'm pretty sure that if such a thing had happened for Halo or Black Ops, the developers would have acknowledged the problem and would have fixed it as well. Gamers would have complained, but they would have played it anyway afterward.

Hell, people are actually playing Fallout: New Vegas, that's just saying!

Please take note, I'm not attacking you. I'm simply a bit surprised by the magnitude of your reaction.

Maybe if they tracked a little less information about each customer they would have some bandwidth to work with.

LegendaryGamer0:
Settings>Network Settings>Internet Connection>Disable.

Am I the only one who knows that feature exists? Seriously, no need to yank your shit out.

Unless you want to.

You know you want to.

DO ET.

LOL. Sure, GT5 has flaws that need to be fixed, but the internet disconnection should be pretty simple.

A lot of people are overreacting to this.

Grass grows, sun shines, bird flies, and DRM Useless Online Features bother people.

RhombusHatesYou:

imgunagitusucka:
Why have menu screens loading through servers in single player?

To get players used to it then they can make a few adjustments and BAM! 'always online' DRM comes to consoles.

I'd laugh... but it's so true that it's just... depressing

Scrumpmonkey:

This is bound to be the best thing I read on the internet today.

I feel bad though for any long time fans of the series, I know a few, who had to wait for the game, then got the game, now cant properly play the game...

Oh god, you could cut the fanboyism and over-reactiosn with a freaking chainsaw here.

Megacherv:
Oh god, you could cut the fanboyism and over-reactiosn with a freaking chainsaw here.

My thoughts exactly. It's a pretty big launch, people, games have problems at launch, no matter how long they have been in development.

They'll fix it and it'll be perfectly fine.

Megacherv:

Seriously, I played the game last night with NO problems and I am connected to the internet. This article makes no sense to me. Neither are half of the idiots here just claiming they're glad to hate all over the game.

A LOT of games have online functionality into their single player game. This includes several EA games as they always include their EA server functionality. Hot Pursuit has the Autolog, which can "slow down the single player experience" by taking forever to load screens and races all the time as well.

I've been a massive GT fan right from the start. But my PS3 owning friend got GT5 yesterday... We played it... I was massively underwhelmed. In 5 years nothings changed much at all. Graphics a bit better. More cars and tracks etc, but really it's just a repaint of GT4. Although granted the track maker is pretty cool and they get kudos for having the Top Gear track.

EDIT: It also managed to bend the profile I was using so that only the sticks and shoulder buttons worked. That meant I could steer, accelerate, brake and use my high beams and wipers. No handbrake, no reverse!

imgunagitusucka:
Sony never ceases to find ways to be underwhelming. Why have menu screens loading through servers in single player? What then does that do to those actually playing MP? Gamer 1 "Man, this is lagging!!" Gamer 2 "Yeah, there must be alot of people playing single player." Gamer 1 "WTF?"

To be fair, GT5 is far from the only game to do this. It's just the only game high profile enough to have both this kind of server load and this kind of attention on it.

Really, they suck. They messed up with this supposed Launch title whilst so many good racing games passed them by. GT5 lost it.

Jesus Phish:

Scrumpmonkey:

This is bound to be the best thing I read on the internet today.

I feel bad though for any long time fans of the series, I know a few, who had to wait for the game, then got the game, now cant properly play the game...

I dunno, the internet is a BIG place.

I just wish people wouldn't get so hyped up about games like this. Racing has moved on a LOT since GT4 and simulation seems to be taking a back seat to more gameplay orientated models ala Codemasters great showing or the GRID like driving assists in Forza 3. Personally, i never really 'got' the whole "OMG-SO-MANY-CARZ!!!" thing with GT5, i don't care how many cars it has just so long as a) it works correctly and b) it plays really well.

GT5 has become almost intertwined with the PS3 at large from it's early graphical boasting to it's loooooong wait for it to be delivered it's become almost a metaphore for everything the PS3 misshandeled. Personally on a grpahical level i do think MANY people overhyped it a LOT, it has some pretty noticeable screen-tearing and aliasing issues but i guess only time will tell how much of this can be fixed in pataches, a laughable statement for a game that has taken almost 6 years to squeeze out.

I know a few people are about about "Oh the fanboyism!!!!" but when i game takes over 5 years and the excuse is "We are making it perfect" and when it comes out is despirately needs patching there is a little irony there to say the least. To say the most it's quite a large fail.

Megacherv:

My thoughts exactly. Ive never seen such over-reaction about a game on the PS3, which by the looks of it, is a console/game they dont even fucking own!
Disabling the internet connection is simple. Its under network settings...BAM! short-term solution until patched

Now, at least the game doesnt have a rewind function, a decades worth of loading screens AND a badly designed menu like the 360s fabled Forza Motorspurt series.
The loading pissed me off:
Press Start- Loading
Main Menu- Select Race- Loading
Select Track- Loading
Select Car- Loading
Start Race- Loading
Flyby of track- Loading (THAT is the main one that pissed me off...the track is already fucking loaded!!!)
Race

Gah! GT5 is my next fullprice purchase and the online thing doesnt piss me off at all but it obviously seems to piss the Xbox crowd off

Nothing against the game in itself, but for the online stuff to impact on single player mode is retarded. Granted they may have online issues but even then everyone knew this would be the biggest selling game on the PS3 so that shouldn't be an issue but it happens and will be sorted. But it should not effect the single player game at all. That makes no sense to me and you shouldn't have to disconnect your console from the internet to fix it as it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

But hopefully they will fix it soon enough.

Megacherv:

To be fair with a lot of them, this is supposed to be a game from the Gods, people complain about hype in most other games and they get torn apart for stupid flaws like this

OT: huh, how weird

JordanMillward_1:

el_kabong:

Man, am I glad I don't like the PS3!

*pets his Xbox that has never had a game mess up quite as monumentally as GT5 before*

It's not the PS3 itself, it's the servers. THis is what happens when a game is promised to be done in 2 years and be a launch title, but only end up coming out in 5 years. Having 1,031 cars to choose from online must be a bit of an unanticipated strain too...

So for all those who want Duke Nukem Forever, if there is an online mode: You probably won't be able to play for a solid month online

Wow. MASSIVE amounts of Fail here. This is inexcusable. What the hell is wrong with just refreshing the server list when you click the button to join an online multiplayer game? Why does everyone feel the need to add a list of servers (that constantly needs to refresh its data on all servers in it) to game menus?

Cyan.:

Agreed. This is most definitely the biggest gaming fuckup in a long time (or at the very least, since new vegas came out, hoard of bugs and all).

gee they took their time making gt5 ,you would think they would of thought of this earlier ... besides forza 3 was good and gt5 should of been a ps3 launch title

I almost bought this game yesterday, I'm glad I didn't. I will wait till Sony pulls their heads out of their.... you know.

Way to overreact guys...shit like this happens with every big launch whether it be on the 360 or PS3.

Amethyst Wind:
So let's recap:

The game was delayed.

The game was scaled down.

The single-player is actively crippled by the multiplayer when the multiplayer is not in use.

*Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

Don't forget that it was poorly developed and thus may experience framerate drops when things are getting busy on the screen.

The sad part is that Sony will still promote this pathetic excuse for a game as one of the things only Playstation can do. No Sony, every platform can have a game that's monumentally fucked up like this. They just generally try not to.

soapyshooter:
Way to overreact guys...shit like this happens with every big launch whether it be on the 360 or PS3.

No it doesn't. Did you read the article? One would expect to have problems in multiplayer on launch because of high traffic, but if you actually read the article here instead of just blindly jumping to the game's defense, you would see that the server strain is also breaking the SINGLE PLAYER. You have to disconnect from the internet just to play alone. That is poor design and it is pathetic.

I just find it funny that they no doubt spent all of this time making the game look pretty but when it actually came to playing it they made a big whoops.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here