Crytek Shows Its Warface

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Crytek Shows Its Warface

A upcoming game from Crytek will see the studio that brought us the processor-torturing Crysis dip its toe into the world of free-to-play gaming.

The Seoul branch of Crytek has unveiled its entry for "Silliest Game Name 2010" award, with a new title bearing the hard-to-say-without-cracking-a-smile moniker, Warface.

Built using the CryEngine 3, Warface is a free-to-play near-future multiplayer military shooter aimed at the Asian market and supported by micropayments. The game is said to be the alpha stages right now, and will feature both co-op and PvP gameplay. In a press release, Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli said that his company always strived to provide the best possible gameplay experience. He added that the reason that Crytek had opened an office in South Korea in the first place was so that it could make games tailored to the tastes of that part of the world.

Warface is something of a departure for Crysis, which has never made a F2P online shooter before. It'll likely be playable wherever you are - with a pretty significant language barrier of course - but I must admit the screen shots make it look a little generic. It's still early days though, so this might be one to watch.

Source: VG247

holy crap those graphics are nice for a F2P game! Can't wait to try this.

You call that a Warface? Show me your real Warface!
But yeah, it looks pretty generic.

OT: If this game could be anything like the ill-fated WarRock, then I might give it a look. For the most part, if it's free, and made by Crytek of all companies, than it has to be worth at least a try.

Hell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Warface is a free-to-play near-future multiplayer military shooter

Wow! I'm so super serially excited for this!

Wish someone would take the Cry Engine and do a King Kong game, where you run around a pretty island while fighting 5 story tall monsters. Hell, something other than militaristic shooters, pleeease.

Whinetek employee 1: hey, brown shooters are selling pretty good.
Whinetek employee 2: hey, micropayment games are making profit.
Whinetek employee 3: hey, asians play games too.
Cevat: MAKE A BROWN FREEMIUM SHOOTER FOR ASIANS!

If I can't understand what they're saing in game then I'm not going to play it. And no, I won't learn another language.

free-to-play gaming.

Seoul branch of Crytek

Of course.

I'm intrigued. I'm gonna be looking out for news of this game.

Wow. I can't see it doing to well if it comes to the US. Free to play games are generally played because people are looking to save money, and usually the fact that their computer is pretty underpowered factors in. Ironically, there are people who still drop enough money on these so called "free to play" games that they could've just saved their money and bought themselves a new computer and a few games.

I don't see this doing too well, unless the computers most people have take a leap forward, or significant changes are made to the CryEngine.

AHHHHHHH! That's a war face!

"An upcoming game"

"Warface is something of a departure for Crytek"

archvile93:
If I can't understand what they're saing in game then I'm not going to play it. And no, I won't learn another language.

Through the magic of different servers I'd say you're going to be alright.

OT: Meh.

"Free-to-play" means "pay-a-hell-of-a-lot-more-than-you-would-but-the-payments-are-so-small-you-don't-notice-it-as-much-play".

Asehujiko:

I don't really get the "games are too brown" argument. Would you really prefer your games in neon green and orange?

Free to play...

...if your computer can run the bloody thing. This is Crytek after all.

Hey Crytek! where's my Time Splitters?

ender214:

Asehujiko:

I don't really get the "games are too brown" argument. Would you really prefer your games in neon green and orange?

I wasn't arguing that, I was pointing out that this game is an amalgamation of everything that's had a good run this year, which is generally a recipe for disaster or at least an underwhelming game.

Issue with this? 80% of the people who play Free to play games can't run something on the crytek engine.

EA thought hey if Dice can do it why can't Crytek do it

tryx3:
Issue with this? 80% of the people who play Free to play games can't run something on the crytek engine.

I think its closer to 68.167%

Its still not Timesplitters =[

*yawns*

Generic is the operative word here. About the only interesting thing is the game's name.

I like how this gets described as "generic" from one screenshot, whereas everyone regards Call of Duty as a masterpiece despite the fact that every iteration is exactly the same.

Sounds terrible, then again, Crytek has never made a single game that I've enjoyed.

Asehujiko:

You've satisfied my comedy quota for today, good sir.

Hmmm...

Will it be a Counter-Strike or a Modern Warfare?

Only time will tell...

I will mod this game, reskinning it entirely with naked people, and call it O-face

I can just imagine Lady GaGa singing the game's theme tune right now...

Generic, generic, generic, generic... generic.

Plus, the name is kind of stupid.....

and generic. That and it's not Timesplitters 4.

Damn I had read it as Warfare, but warface....c'mon, that's just going to lead to a lot of tongue-in-cheek screaming.

Misterpinky:
Generic, generic, generic, generic... generic.

Plus, the name is kind of stupid.....

and generic. That and it's not Timesplitters 4.

That's a hell of a claim considering a)it's in alpha and b) you haven't played the game.

Mazty:
Damn I had read it as Warfare, but warface....c'mon, that's just going to lead to a lot of tongue-in-cheek screaming.

"Do you think I'm cute, Private Pyle? Do you think I'm funny?"

I guess Crytek finally got sick of everyone pirating their games and decided to give them away for free anyway.

I still say it's not as funny as the name of another Korean F2P online shooter.

Gunz: The Duel

I miss that game. I think it still exists, but its Seoul-ly in Korean now.

Sorry.

ill be playing the Free battlefield game its coming up sooner and to be honest looks more fun.

Z of the Na'vi:

OT: If this game could be anything like the ill-fated WarRock, then I might give it a look. For the most part, if it's free, and made by Crytek of all companies, than it has to be worth at least a try.

Hell, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Saved, thank you :p

My fellow Koreans up South have unveiled a new game! I will hopefully try this!

Lord_Panzer:
AHHHHHHH! That's a war face!

Another awesome joke!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook