Trash-Talking Sony Engineer Blasts Kinect Lightsaber Game

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Trash-Talking Sony Engineer Blasts Kinect Lightsaber Game

There's no way Kinect can do lightsabers, says one of the chief architects behind the PlayStation Move, unless Microsoft starts busting out sticks.

Move engineer Anton Mikhailov thinks that the Force is most definitely not with Kinect. Based on an E3 trailer showing a tiny snippet of a motion controlled Star Wars game on the 360, he's convinced there's nothing that Kinect could do with a lightsaber that Move couldn't do better.

Mikhailov said that Kinect wouldn't be able to track a player's hands and wrists accurately enough to make a lightsaber game really work. The best way around this, he said, was to give the sensor an actual object to track, like a stick. He didn't think that Microsoft would actually do that though, as it rather put a damper on its claims that you didn't need anything else to play a Kinect game other than your own limbs. He didn't know if Sony had a Star Wars game lined up for Move, but that if it did, it would be "damn better than Kinect could ever do."

If there's anyone - bar Microsoft employees - who have a really good idea of what Kinect is and isn't capable of, it's Mikhailov. One of things that he helped investigate for Sony before it settled on its glowing ball on a stick was a 3D camera similar to the tech that Kinect uses.

He's likely correct that Move would be the best fit for a lightsaber combat game, but it doesn't automatically follow that the Kinect game will be bad. He's bound to be a little biased towards Move, he helped invent it after all, but even so, for him to dismiss the game based on so little information is ridiculous. I think Master Yoda summed up Mikhailov's screed best when he said, "Much anger there is in him. Too much pride in his powers."

Source: Eurogamer

He's totally right. Tool based gameplay is not what kinect excels at.

Well it's a Star Wars game, so it's most likely a Lucas Arts game, which means it's most likely going to suck no matter what controller it uses.

Hell if I was Microsoft I'd probably try to stop them from making it, because they're bound to make Kinect look bad.

For your quote of Master Yoda, I salute you!

He sounds a little TOO cocky, but we'll have to see how it works...

Even if it's true, that's still a bad move by Mr Sony man. *tuts*

There's a guy named Anton Mikhailov working for Sony? Cool.

Anyways - eh, I'm not for console wars, but, yeah, he's right. Not that having something substituting for a lightsaber in your hand is particularly necessary, but, it's welcome. Also, have you seen that game's trailer, Logan? He can judge it however he wants now, in my opinion.

The fact that a Star Wars game failed to interest me speaks volumes about its quality.

And I personally think that holding something in your hand is half the fun of pretending to hold a lightsaber.
Come on, I'm waiting for the jokes...

Well I would think any lightsabre game would be a problem. How would you actively fight with no beam-to-beam resistance?

mjc0961:
Well it's a Star Wars game, so it's most likely a Lucas Arts game, which means it's most likely going to suck no matter what controller it uses.

Hell if I was Microsoft I'd probably try to stop them from making it, because they're bound to make Kinect look bad.

Kiinect looks good?

Why is it news-worthy when someone from one company bashes the other? It happens so often and it's not in the least objective.

He's probably right though.

Oh surprise surprise someone from a different company thinks a competitors product is worse

:o

The shock

Ah George Lucas will you ever stop milking the Star Wars franchise?

On topic: it makes sense that the Move controller would track better than Kinect due to the presence of a controller.

Off topic (again) I FUCKING HATE MOTION CONTROLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always said it. In technical terms yes Move is a more accurately technology, but in terms on retardedness both micosoft on sony are equal

Move might be better at the lightsaber part, but I would guess that Kinect could be better at the force powers part. Though, as others have said, the chance of the game actually being good no matter what system it's on is fairly minimal.

Both the Wii motion plus and the Move will both be better for a lightsaber since you have something to physically HOLD.

The best Kinect will be able to do is force you to hold your arms like you are HOLDING something. While it could track the persons body while you attempt to jump like a Jedi (and break your hip), you will still have trouble trying to hold a lightsaber without a lightsaber.

Ok, so the Move has lightsaber games. The Kinect has... every other game? Its hard to tell, big firm PR speakers tend to have trouble speaking around their own feet.

A lightsaber peripheral would be fun, I envision many broken vases in my future. I will need to buy some vases first.

Couldn't the kinect user just hold something, then? A stick perhaps? Maybe a Playstation Move Controller, or a Wiimote. It's not like either of those have any real uses.

Well judging by the trailer, which made the game look like an on-rails lightsaber game. I don't know how they'tr going to incorparate moving from one side of the screen to the other without interference. Especially with force powers being in the mix. The game itself doesn't even look all that good to begin with.

Plus the guy is an engineer, so he knows what he's talking about. He's not some PR guy.

Makes total sense, you don't need a computer engineer to tell you why Move would work better for it (Hell, and I'm an Xbox fanboy)

How well Kinect can do lightsabers is questionable, but Move could definitely do it better. I mean it already looks like a stubby lightsaber as it is :p

Move would be more logicial but still, Dance Central is epic on the Kinect, j/s.

Microsoft- "Ha, we have this weird camera thing that tracks your movement and is actually kind of innovative and cool!"
Sony- "Ha, we ripped off the Wii and put a lolipop glowy thing on the end! We win!"

Honestly, I don't like motion controls much, but this is just stupid.

Hey Anton, both Kinect and Move suck equally hard. Stop bullshitting us.

Strong words. Let's see if he keeps them.

As for Kinect with lightsabers, wouldn't having a stick to simulate the saber defeat the purpose of Kinect? Kinect by itself is an interesting piece of technology, but if you add a peripheral to it it's basically just the Move! This is the main reason why I'm skeptical of Kinect, it's that, while on it's own it's a good piece of tech, it cannot function on it's own anyway. Some games utilize Kinect to the fullest (Dance Central), but to get a true, full fledge experience, you're going to need a controller no matter what which basically makes Kinect an expensive webcam.

But that's enough of my ranting, we'll see what comes from Move and Kinect...

We'll see...

Here you are, Kinect lightsaber, with a stick. Remember that this is amateur work using freeware drivers.

Well, he's right. Big deal.

Ren3004:
The fact that a Star Wars game failed to interest me speaks volumes about its quality.

And I personally think that holding something in your hand is half the fun of pretending to hold a lightsaber.
Come on, I'm waiting for the jokes...

Already tried it much to my fiancees amusement
I also made it pretend to be that worm from Empire

The penis is a rather dextrous, er, tool

Technically he's more or less right but realistically neither can really pull off a true lightsaber game because of a shared inherant flaw: the gamer. When it comes to martial prowess the fictional Jedi with a lightsabre is basically on par or beyond the level of a kung-fu master, able to rapidly deflect multitudes of blaster fire with a sword. Most gamers unfortunately if they try the same thing will be on par with Star Wars kid. Unless the gameplay is heavily assisted, but by that point you may as well be using a regular controller.

The problem with you being the controller concept is that unfortunately many of the actions our video game avatars perform with the push of a button is beyond human capability. Even things within realistic limits will likely require a certain amount of inherant or trained skill to play effectively. In this case a more modest medieval style sword fighting game can work if the game takes it slow to get the gamer into the basic movements.

Ah! But there in lies the problem. While the Lightsaber itself would be better fit for move....

The force powers would be better set for kinect! FORCE PUSH HUUU!! *moves both arms forward*

And think! Arking your hands above your head like a sith lord could shoot lightining!

I dont care if i cant wave an overused peice of fan service around! i wanna force choke people!

A Ps3 person dissing an Xbox...

... I'm sorry but I fail to see the news here

Dana22:
Here you are, Kinect lightsaber, with a stick. Remember that this is amateur work using freeware drivers.

That's what he's getting at, the kinect's "thing" is the lack of peripherals. And that's no ordinary stick, it has special sensors on it.
However I would like point out using the Force in a kinect game would be far superior to the move.

Jumplion:

As for Kinect with lightsabers, wouldn't having a stick to simulate the saber defeat the purpose of Kinect?

Not in the slightest. If you are controlling movement, force powers, etc with your body then holding some kind of small prop (it doesn't have to be the full length of the lighsaber after all) doesn't render everything else irrelevant. What Kinect does is remove the necessity to hold something, but when doing so adds to the experience (using something as a lightsaber is not the same as holding a controller by a long shot) then it's not exactly a betrayal of the idea behind Kinect to use it.

kouriichi:
I dont care if i cant wave an overused peice of fan service around! i wanna force choke people!

Don't we all...

RandV80:
Technically he's more or less right but realistically neither can really pull off a true lightsaber game because of a shared inherant flaw: the gamer. When it comes to martial prowess the fictional Jedi with a lightsabre is basically on par or beyond the level of a kung-fu master, able to rapidly deflect multitudes of blaster fire with a sword. Most gamers unfortunately if they try the same thing will be on par with Star Wars kid. Unless the gameplay is heavily assisted, but by that point you may as well be using a regular controller.

The problem with you being the controller concept is that unfortunately many of the actions our video game avatars perform with the push of a button is beyond human capability. Even things within realistic limits will likely require a certain amount of inherant or trained skill to play effectively. In this case a more modest medieval style sword fighting game can work if the game takes it slow to get the gamer into the basic movements.

I agree in the sense that the player will hardly be able to do flips through the air when jumping, but considering that people are able to follow visual direction well enough to use Dance Central or Your Shape, it shouldn't exactly be difficult to teach the player to execute a few lightsaber moves. Heck, I learned an entire sword fight for a semi-professional (not paid but it was with a highly reputable Shakespeare company) theatrical performance in the space of a weekend. Most of that time was taken up with safety training because we were using real swords.

Dana22:

That's what came into my head too. Just grab yourself a stick from the yard. Like we did as kids!

Mako SOLDIER:

Jumplion:

As for Kinect with lightsabers, wouldn't having a stick to simulate the saber defeat the purpose of Kinect?

Not in the slightest. If you are controlling movement, force powers, etc with your body then holding some kind of small prop (it doesn't have to be the full length of the lighsaber after all) doesn't render everything else irrelevant. What Kinect does is remove the necessity to hold something, but when doing so adds to the experience (using something as a lightsaber is not the same as holding a controller by a long shot) then it's not exactly a betrayal of the idea behind Kinect to use it.

From what Microsoft have been hyping up with the Kinect, they seem to be taking the opposite approach in that Kinect is a "completely new platform!" or something like that.

I have no problem with Kinect being used as an add-on or an enhancement to games, but I don't think Microsoft are taking that approach.

And what you described is essentially the Move. I mean, it's already got the camera and the wiimote thingamajig, it's pretty much the median between the Wii and Kinect.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here