Empire Strikes Back Director Dies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Empire Strikes Back Director Dies

Director Ivan Kershner has died at age 87.

Director Irvin Kershner has died at age 87, following a lengthy illness. Kershner is best known for his direction of 1980's The Empire Strikes Back, and rightly so, but that was by no means his sole contribution to the world of cinema.

Kershner was a World War II veteran who began his cinematic career by teaching film at the University of Southern California. From there he segued into television director and stills photographer before settling into film. His early films include A Fine Madness (starring Sean Connery), The Return Of A Man Called Horse (starring Richard Harris), and, in 1978, Eyes of Laura Mars, a film that made George Lucas sit up and take notice. Lucas called upon Kershner to direct the second film in his original Star Wars trilogy. Empire's obituary raves "Kershner's no-frills storytelling style, coupled with a strong script and an imaginative visual pallet, gave Empire a gravitas that marked it out as an instant classic."

Likely finding Empire a tough act to top, Kershner only directed two more films. He oversaw Sean Connery's last appearance as James Bond in Never Say Never Again and helmed another sequel in RoboCop 2. He'll always be best remembered for The Empire Strikes Back, though, and the indelible mark it left on film and culture at large.

Source: Empire

Leslie Nielsen, of "Naked Gun" fame also died today. Man, what a sad day for hollywood.

Somewhat appropriate.....http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

:(

Irvin Kershner really can't get enough credit for what he did to Empire, he's the main reason it turned out so good.

May he rest in peace.

Losing Irvin Kershner and Leslie Nielson in a single day is a fucking damn shame! R.I.P.

At least now he won't get to see his movie butchered and made into 3D. Had he died after that would be like dying after getting kicked in the nuts.

Who's going to be the third? Celebs always die in 3s right?

someone out there is picking out hollywood's best

why not Michael Bay? or Uwe Boll for that matter?

on an actual serious note, that shit's just sad, rest it peace, bro, may the force be with you

Today is not a good day to be a Hollywood legend.

Timotei:
At least now he won't get to see his movie butchered and made into 3D. Had he died after that would be like dying after getting kicked in the nuts.

so now its kicking a corpse in the nuts...

OT: while I personally am not a huge fan of the films, I can understand their significance, and nontheless the fact that this man died is quite sad, though I am in no place to realy say I morn him more then I morn any death....
nevertheless, R.I.P

Littaly:
:(

Irvin Kershner really can't get enough credit for what he did to Empire, he's the main reason it turned out so good.

George Lucas isn't as horrible as people claim, get over it.

Rest in peace good sir, you left your mark on cinema, and we're all the better for it.

Ivan Kershner AND Leslie Nielsen!?

Today sucks.

Rest in peace and may the Force be with you Kersh

Irvin Kershner had many long battles with Lucas over how dark Empire needed to be.

For that alone, he is worthy of a great place.

Tell me George, did you ever remember him?

Unfortunate.

And now George Lucas is working tirelessly to ruin his opus.

First Leslie Nielsen and now him?

It is dark days indeed...

R.I.P.

May the Force be with you, Irvin. I cannot thank you enough for directing my favorite movie of all time. It was your direction that made it what it was...

The director of one of the greatest films of my childhood dies on the same day as one of my favuorite hollywood comedians. All of the greats we grew up with a dropping like flies at the moment. Pretty soon, the world of "quality entertainment" will be a thing of the past. Oh how I weep for future generations, unable to experience greatness like this.

This hapened last year, too. Heath Ledger and Scarlette Johansan, then they threw in Billy Mays for the next 15 minutes only!

Probably choked on his own vomit when someone showed him game-play from the Force Unleashed 2.
*sigh* At least he didn't have to see his film re-released in phony 3D.

You will always be remembered Irvin Kershner so long as Star Wars fans and James Bond fans are around to remember you. Empire is your legacy and I will not forget it. Thank you.

This is a sad day... RIP Irvin. We will mourn your loss. May the Force be with you.

Death just needs to GTFO.

Seriously, Leslie Nielson and Kershner in one day? You can't take all of the talent from us, but he's doing a damn good job at trying.

Not a great day today. First I read about Leslie Nielson's death and now this. :(

May he rest in peace.

Why are all the awesome people dying? Leslie Nielson, now this...

*sigh*

I just hope that the talent of this new century can match or surpass these guys. Otherwise Cinema is going to suck for awhile.

I don't even want to know who will be next. Please don't be Mel Brooks!

He's a blue jedi ghost turning kids franchises into masterpiece epic in heaven now.

My god, Randy Quaid was right! The Star Whackers do exist!

King Toasty:
This hapened last year, too. Heath Ledger and Scarlette Johansan, then they threw in Billy Mays for the next 15 minutes only!

Err... wut?

Scarlett is alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlett_Johansson

OT : Damn... Seriously, if one more of these brilliants goes out tonight, I'm considering using my Satanic D&D powers to try and rez 'em, no matter the danger!

Farewell Good friend. you will be missed.

The force will be with him. Always.

Randomly stuck on the audio commentary to Empire ages ago and was surprised to hear this spritely, slightly mischievous sounding, ole pro explaining how Vader was able to tear Han's blaster pistol out of his hand using the Force, or as Irvin explained through using some rope and cutting away to show Vader while Irvin actually threw the gun into Prowse's hand.

See, George? It probably cost a whole dollar for the rope. And not a green screen in site :P

There goes an old pro who was comfortable handling a movie that had so much riding on it.
Engaging commentary to say that least, and I believe he actually listened to Ford's complaints about Han originally saying "I love you, too" to Leia.

He told Harrison to try something different and voila! Movie history :D

May the Force be with you, Irvin Kershner.

Not to be ignorant, but i'm slightly scared to see who days with them. Hollywood kills in threes.

But yeah, its a shame he's passed away. He made (arguably) the best sequel that topped the original in some crowds. And he had to live through the crap prequels.

EDIT

Double posted, apologies.... why doesn't The Escapist have a delete post function...

Irvin Kershner was an excellent director. He was the person that made The Empire Strikes Back such an excellent film.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here