Leslie Nielsen Dies

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Leslie Nielsen Dies

Comedy legend Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in the Naked Gun and Airplane! franchises, has passed away.

Believe it or not, for decades Leslie Nielsen was best known as a fairly straight-up dramatic actor, appearing in dozens of television shows and films. But everything changed in 1980 when he boarded a jetliner for Airplane! and struck comedy gold by playing it straight in an absurd, insane disaster movie spoof. Amazingly, it was his first comedy role after more than 30 years in the business, but it established the kind of role Nielsen would ultimately become famous for.

Two years later came Police Squad!, a brilliant but doomed television series that baffled audiences and network executives alike and was canceled after only four episodes had aired. The gags flew fast and furious, to the point that many viewers had trouble keeping up; Tony Thomopoulos, then the president of ABC Entertainment, famously said, "Police Squad! was canceled because the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it."

Nielsen would continue to appear in dramatic roles in various television series and made-for-TV movies but his reprisal of Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant, Police Squad in the 1988 film The Naked Gun cemented his fame as a comedy star. Two more Naked Gun films followed, along with flicks like Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Spy Hard, Men With Brooms and a couple of Scary Movies. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1988 and was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2002.

Nielsen was born in Regina, Saskatchewan and made his home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The circumstances surrounding his death remain unclear; he was originally reported to have been killed by left-wing insurgents from Paraguay, although other accounts claim he threw himself on a grenade to save the battalion or was perhaps traded to the Cubs for Reggie Jackson. It's also possible that he died of complications from pneumonia. He was 84.

Leslie Nielsen was amazing, I was so sad to hear of his death :(

Damn shame. He was in some of the funniest films ever.

Another flare in this ever darkening world goes out. We will miss him.

And suddenly, the world is a lot less funnier than before...

There's nothing funny about this. I'm going to miss him.

R.I.P

RIP Leslie Nielsen, I guess that mean the "old" comedy spoof had left with him as well (unless I forgeting someone who is still alive).

RIP Leslie, you will be missed.

Shirley you can't be serious!!!

I mean that in the most respectful way possible. The man was awesome.

God effing dammit.
I'm going to miss him.

Roger, Roger.

'Tis a sad day.

It's a very sad for the world now that he is gone. He was a big part of my childhood and I will always remember him dearly. Rest in peace, Detective Lieutenant.

Surely I'll miss you.

Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captain Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No. I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

Ah...so good. I must watch Airplane! today in honor. What a brilliant comedian.

RIP Leslie, you'll be missed!

Thank you for all the laughs, Frank Drebin. Have a good one up there.

R.I.P. friend, you will be missed...

This is a sad day for comedy all over the globe.
Rest in peace Leslie, may your humour satisfy whatever gods you've ended up with.
Knowing your work, it should be sheogorath.
With sorrow and all possible respect
-Simen

His dramatic roles were actually very good. Forbidden Planet is one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. Surely, he will be missed. I picked a bad week to stop taking opiates.

*salutes* Fare thee well.

First off, it's fitting that Andy, the resident Canuck, did the article for this.

Secondly, the first sarcastic thought that ran though my head when I heard he died in Florida was, "A Canadian in Florida this time of year? That's unheard of."

Damn - I loved Airplane and Naked Gun, but I HAVE to watch Police Squad now... I've never seen it before and that clip is hilarious! I hope it's on Netflix.

Why do I always hear about these things on a Monday? :(

What?!

That sucks. He made me laugh like crazy in my younger years when I watched his movies. Goddamnit. Cant people like him get a "Get out of death" freecard?

He died in hospital, thats a big building with lots of patients but that not important right now

RIP

Thank you, Leslie.

Holy shit. It's not often that pay much attention when celebrities die, but Leslie Nielsen will be sorely missed... ever since I first saw The Naked Gun at age 8, Leslie Nielsen and his catalogue of deadpan comic genius has been making me LOL most of my life.

Requiescat In Pace

Damn it! That is so not cool, Death, pick someone that deserves it!

He was a funny man, and a delightful actor. This is disappointing news indeed...

Another dead hero. Rest in Peace.

I'm very sad about this. My heart goes out to Nielsen's family and friends :(

So many legendary people from the entertainment industry have been so cruelly stolen from us recently; Paul Grey, Ronnie James Dio, Farah Fawcett...this is one of the saddest though, because Nielsen was SUCH an awesome guy.

R.I.P

I said Leslie Nielsen died to a friend, he said "Surely he can't be dead."
I knew the tribute setup, so I said, "he is dead, and don't call him Shirley."

In all seriousness, he was a great man, and will sorely be missed.

LESLIE?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;o;

Well, this is definitely the worst news I'm going to hear all week. R.I.P, Mr Nielsen, you shall be missed.

Oh god...I can feel a part of my childhood dieing. One of favourite actors, who Ive adored since I first saw him. RIP Leslie, and RIP Classic spoofs
D':

=(

Sums up my reactions. He was brilliant. Airplane is excellent, and would not be half the movie it is were it not for Nielsen. *sighs*

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here