Korean Ex-Defense Minister Says Crisis "Isn't StarCraft"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Korean Ex-Defense Minister Says Crisis "Isn't StarCraft"

When discussing the last week's crisis on the Korean peninsula, the former South Korean Defense Minister chose a rather interesting metaphor to illustrate the gravity of the situation.

Last Tuesday, tensions on the already-tense Korean peninsula reached a near boiling point when North Korea shelled an island on the South Korean side of things, killing two soldiers and two civilians. 13 minutes later, South Korea reportedly fired multiple test shots in response, though claimed that none of them actually fell in North Korean territory.

When a Korean politician asked then-Defense Minister Kim Tae-young - who later resigned over the handling of the conflict - why the South Korean response had been delayed by 13 minutes and had been (relatively) restrained, Kim gave an answer that might sound odd to non-gamers: "This isn't StarCraft."

The remarks were hardly a joke designed to defuse tension - Kim was indeed making a point. In StarCraft, letting an attack go unanswered for 13 minutes is a game-ending mistake. If you don't counterattack swiftly, your base will be overrun with swarming Zerg or marauding Terrans. In real life, though, a forceful retaliation on the part of Kim might have ignited a real-world bloodbath in which thousands could have lost their lives. This wasn't a game; this was a very real situation.

If it sounds strange to hear such a prominent figure compare a deadly real-life scenario to a videogame, consider StarCraft's prominence in Korea as a sport. Is it really so odd to imagine the US President or UK Prime Minister (or leader of your country of choice) answering a question with "this isn't football/baseball/basketball/etc.?" It may still be an odd comparison, but it's not quite so far-fetched.

(Via Kotaku)

Clearly what they need to do is Nydus Worm the shit out of N Korea.

Definately an interesting comparison. I'd like to see how this pans out. I like thet South Korea didn't lose their cool over things though, and showed restraint

Xzi:

That would make for a very interesting movie.

BIOBALL WITH CARRIER AND TANK SUPPORT!!!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

South Korean national Starcraft champs should be brought in for military tactical advising.

Pretty good analogy too. It's true that rushing into decisions in this situation would be foolhardy, these are people's lives not bots.

Edit:

Shale_Dirk:

South Korean national Starcraft champs should be brought in for military tactical advising.

.. Did you read the article? The minister is saying that although it seems like common wisdom to anyone who has played an RTS to counter attack hard; in real life this is not the case. There is diplomacy and the fact that your army is made up of real people to consider.
Starcraft players are impressive but it is a very different skill set to actual military tactics.

Xzi:

What about a thor drop onto the highground?

To get back on topic though I really would like to see Obama make a Halo refrence.

Press: What is the government doing about the lack of jobs and the current economic failure?

Obama: This isn't Sim City.

Given it's almost sporting like prominence, maybe "isn't StarCraft" is just the Korean equivalent of the British idiom "isn't Cricket" and the Ex-Defence minister meant the North Korean attack was a bit unfair and un-sporting.

Anyway, it may not be StarCraft, but lets hope it doesn't turn into Homefront.

Rushview:
Press: What is the government doing about the lack of jobs and the current economic failure?

That put a much needed smile on my face.

Shale_Dirk:

This (wo)man deserves a promotion.

Thank god that this man is correct in his statement.

Could you imagine war being like this?

Video games have made international politics. Awesome.

Rushview:

Oooooo

Seriously though, it's amazing that George Bush drives into this hole and people are complaining more about how Obama is getting us out of it too slowly.

How about the fact that it's getting better? That's lost on most people.

Xzi:

Well obviously.

Seriously though, I love this quote just because of how perfectly it fits South Korean stereotypes, it's hilarious.

Rushview:

Republicans: You can't cut back on funding! You will regret this!

So this is Command and Conquer? O.o

Politicans who use gaming in their speech are +1 in my book. Seriously. Go South. North is totally crumbling slowly.

I read that as "Says Crysis "Isn't Starcraft"" and honestly it made far more sense.

On the other hand, if it WAS Starcraft, North Korea would be in huge trouble.

North Korea have Banelings...

Gxas:

Imagine hearing that in the Pentagon's war room.

I read that as 'Korean Ex-Defense Minister Says Crysis "Isn't StarCraft"'. What the heck.
Time to go to bed I guess.

It's moar liek Crysis, amirite!?
Some people aren't taking this seriously enough...

And the comparison is quite good. Besides, it draws a valid parallel between a hypothetical videogame scenario and a real life threat. In its essence it's the same thing, except there are no retries in real life.

...Or are there?

EDIT: Christ, I got ninja'd while writing the post.

I love it.

A US politician would say "This isn't a VIDEO GAME", as in "This isn't your stupid low-life kiddie play, you moronic nerd fuck. Now get back to your sad basement to your Box Station Cube and let adults handle this."

Yeah, I'm actually happy that a politician has referenced a game in the sense "This is something else" and not "This is not your stupid game". We gamers have freakin' low standards.

North Korean Defense Minister: "What are those structures going up in the DMZ? Are those...pylons?"

TaboriHK:
On the other hand, if it WAS Starcraft, North Korea would be in huge trouble.

Naaah, they Zerg rush.

They should just move their war into a three-round based StarCraft tournament. And to compensate for North Korean people's lack of internet skills a hunger contest too. Gotta be fair to both sides.

"Jack Thompson: SEE, TOLDYA VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL, IT'S THAT STARCRAFT GAME THAT STARTED WORLD WAR 3 AND THE KOREA CONFLICT"

sorry, it just had to be said =P

also, I get the feeling that folk is gonna be one of us ^-^

inb4 some mediagroups huddle around the 'vidyagames cause wars' campfire.

danpascooch:

Rushview:

Oooooo

Seriously though, it's amazing that George Bush drives into this hole and people are complaining more about how Obama is getting us out of it too slowly.

How about the fact that it's getting better? That's lost on most people.

Getting out slowly? How about digging deeper? That's lost on some people.

Shale_Dirk:

OK whats the build order to deal with the 4-6 million dead in Seoul from the NKs opening chemical artillery barge. The short range missiles will start to fall on major South Korean ports, again armed with chemical weapons, thats another 2 million dead. 20 - 30 seconds later the missiles start falling on Japan, another 2 million gone. 40 minutes later the long range missiles start landing on the west coast, this time with 20-30 kiloton nukes. Seattle, LA, San Francisco and San Diego are hit. They are only small nukes thats only 500000 dead each, so only another 2 million gone. The war is only 1 hour old and 12 are million dead. It really isn't Star Craft.

Doctor: I'm sorry Mrs. Thompson, your husband died during the operation.
This isn't Trauma Center.

Reporter: Mr. Mourinho, why did you lose 0-5 to Barcelona today??
M: This isn't Fifa 11.

R: Mr. Dylan? Why do you thik you've been booed off the stage now that your group uses electronic instuments?
D: This isn't Rock Band.

Man I could do this all day...

That actually makes sense

And now we all know what he's been doing in his spare time ;)

But yeah, decent analogy. And I imagine unlike the UK, everyone in Korea actually 'got' that.

"Football isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that."

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here