CliffyB: Gears of War Announcement at Spike VGAs Will Surprise People

CliffyB: Gears of War Announcement at Spike VGAs Will Surprise People

The Gears of War announcement will also be "awesome," says Epic Games' design director.

Epic's CliffyB, more properly known as Cliff Bleszinski, has teased an upcoming announcement about the Gears of War series in a short promo video for the Spike Videogame Awards taking place on December 11th.

The video is a mix of real-life Bleszinski, cinematic cutscene and gameplay footage. Bleszinksi introduces himself, and then a voice-over pipes up, warning people not to miss the Gears of War announcement that will have "everyone talking," at the Spike VGAs. Bleszinski echoes the sentiment, saying that what Epic has to show will be "awesome," and not what people are expecting.

Obviously Bleszinski doesn't give any clues about what the announcement could be, but it could have something to do with the rumor that surfaced a couple of weeks ago about the Gears of War series was coming to Kinect. At the time, Bleszinski Tweeted that Gears of War 3 wouldn't have Kinect support, but he never specifies that the announcement would be Gears 3, instead saying just "Gears of War." It's not the most compelling evidence admittedly, but it's safe to say that it would qualify as something that people wouldn't expect, and would get them talking.

The announcement of a Kinect Gears at the Spike VGAs would also fit pretty well with Microsoft's marketing strategy for the device. When it wanted to get casual gamers and families buying Kinect, it got it on shows like Oprah and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Now, if it's trying to get core gamers to buy Kinect, taking advantage of an award show that a lot of them will be watching would be par for the course.

Of course, this is all just speculation. Bleszinski might never specify that he's talking about Gears of War 3, but the cinematic that proceeds the gameplay footage in the video is part of the reveal trailer for the game that was shown back in April. It's just as likely - and in fact would be a far simpler explanation - that there's some nifty new gameplay mechanic that Epic will be showing off, and these rumors of a Kinect Gears of War will be exposed as unfounded and ultimately false.

Source: CVG

Kinect.. and a shooter? It just doesn't seem like it would work in my head. Maybe i'm just too simple :(

Hopefully it'll be just some random mechanic that's 'all new' like.. quicktime events or something.

I hope it is something to do with Kinect. First because it would have the potential to shut those up who have nothing better to do than complain that there is no hardcore gaming on Kinect (or who, more often, seem to complain that there are somehow no games at all). Second because I'm interested in seeing how Kinect could be used by a developer very experienced in making core titles... for better or worse.

So, a surprise? It can't be Kincet compatibility then because people have pretty much been guessing that for an eternity now.

"awesome," and not what people are expecting.

"Epic has teamed up with THQ and Double Fine to present... Costume Quest for the PC! (Also, Gears 2 PC)"

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

"remember us, Cliffy? we haven't forgotten you, we miss you"

who am I kidding, I will buy the new Gears anyways, even if I don't have a 360, they are just that awesome T-T

They replaced the main character with a small pony armed with the power of freindship, I know it.

Does anyone else find it kind of annoying when companies announce an announcement?

"Hey guys, we have something to tell you! We want you to know that on December 11 we are going to tell you something! Oh wow! How awesome is that!?"

Ugh.

Perhaps he'll announce he's going to stop being an insufferable twat and design his games properly. I live in hope (not hype).

NO NO NO GOD DAMN IT, NO! ENOUGH WITH THE GOD DAMN TEASERS!!!

Ugh! Well, I wonder what this "surprise" will be. Given that we all know 3 is on its way, and it was rumored that the series could utilize Kinect... not much really seems like it'd be surprising.

teh_Canape:

"remember us, Cliffy? we haven't forgotten you, we miss you"

who am I kidding, I will buy the new Gears anyways, even if I don't have a 360, they are just that awesome T-T

Oh my. I think I've played that game, a long, long, looong time ago.

Anyway, the short snip we got to see from the gameplay looked smoother than Gears 2, which is a good thing. Walking around in both Gears 1 and 2 felt a bit slow, although I guess that would make sense because of the giant power armour you're wearing.

Oh well, I hope it's Gears of War 3. I've always liked the franchise.

Chapper:

Implies you know nothing of:

D_987:

Chapper:

Implies you know nothing of:

Ah yes, I should have elaborated.

I hope it's Gears 3 they're going to show. I'd like more info :)

And no, I hadn't seen that one, thanks.

The series is finished and there won't be anymore games? that would be pleasant surprise.

Hurry up, I want to see what this "surprise" will be. I'm guessing Gears for PS3?

Gears 3 will utilize the new Unreal Engine 4?

Nah. They just updated 3, didn't they?

"The show is no longer perpetuating racist stereotypes".

Oh wait. :(

He said a while ago he wanted to add RPG elements.
Hopefully its this, and not some kinect bullshit.

Taking cover while using the Kinect.
Should I run towards the TV, turn my back towards it while running and then slam into it? O_O
If this comes with a Kinect compability, I sure hope there also is a disKinected function.
See what I did there? DisKinected?

In Gears 3 you'll have TWO chainsaws on your gun *gasp*

Seriously, I don't except much from a man who thinks deciding whether to kill an enemy with a shotgun or with a melee attack is emergent gameplay.

StriderShinryu:
I hope it is something to do with Kinect. First because it would have the potential to shut those up who have nothing better to do than complain that there is no hardcore gaming on Kinect (or who, more often, seem to complain that there are somehow no games at all). Second because I'm interested in seeing how Kinect could be used by a developer very experienced in making core titles... for better or worse.

I would also like that it was Kinect related for the same reasons, Epic knows how to make games and knows what works and doesnt work, if they made a game with Kinect it would probably work well and become a good example for what Kinect is capable of.

They did this for the Iphone for gods sake

Logan Westbrook:
Bleszinski echoes the sentiment, saying that what Epic has to show will be "awesome," and not what people are expecting.

a compelling storyline

Screw Kinect and Gears. This is definitly NOT a game that should have any Kinect compability yet because the technology is 'new' and would only 'cause shovelware to be shait out.

Either way, I hope it's Gears 3 related. I am an Epic fan and still play Gears 2 from the release date. Bring it on, CliffyB!

It is ironic that gears of war is produced by a company called Epic.

The only thing I want to hear is that Microsoft decided to stop being stupid and moved Gears of War 3 back to is original release date. "Oh, we have no great titles coming out next Christmas, so we're moving Gears 3 back so we do have a good title." BULL!

"The next Gears might actually be good!"

Hmmm... I doubt it. Maybe he's going to make an RTS? Doubt that too. God knows.

hot coffee?

anyone?

The humans and Locust put aside their difference, sit down and have a cup of tea, everything goes back to normal and we all go and play Guitar Hero 21 and a half: Kotick edition.

Surprised?

I finally thought of just one way Cliffy could get me to buy a Gears of War game... have our old pal Jazz be a secret reskin of the scruffy, testosterone-fueled hooting gorilla that is the real protagonist.

Alternatively, he could be announcing that a new, unique game will show up instead of this promised third chapter, but let's not get our hopes up.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here