Steve Carell Quits The Office, Takes Post Office Job

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Steve Carell Quits The Office, Takes Post Office Job

Steve Carell is leaving The Office, but he isn't leaving NBC, the network on which it airs: He's writing and producing a sitcom there.

The National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) will lose Steve Carell from The Office this year. They won't shake him entirely, though, as they've just purchased a sitcom that Carell is both writing and executive producing. Carell has spent most of his career in front of the camera, but has written for The Office and The Dana Carvey Show, as well as for the film The 40 Year Old Virgin.

The show, which is operating under the tentative title The Post-Graduate Project, is a single-camera comedy based upon one of Carell's early jobs. Deadline describes the project "as a sweet and nostalgic take on the period of Carell's early life as a mail carrier and centers on a small-town post office frequented by a quirky but tight-knit group of local twentysomethings."

On The Office, Carell plays Regional Manager Michael Scott, a character based upon David Brent from the original British series. For this role, Carell was nominated for multiple Emmys, and was the recipient of a Golden Globe. Upon his departure, he will have been on The Office for seven years.

Source: Deadline

That's fine with me. His characters stopped being funny after a few seasons, the new blood kept it going. Still, this is one example of the American version of a show surpassing the UK original. In my opinion, at least.

I love The Office. Been known for some time that this will be his last season. I hope the show sticks around and continues being funny though. Carell kind of makes that show what it is.

Well I look forward to seeing how his new show pans out, but I'll definitely miss Michael Scott. NBC's Thursday night line-up (Community, The Office, 30 Rock, Outsourced) is the only thing I can bear watching on basic cable TV.

It happens to the best of them. Although I can't imagine what they're going to do with the show when they lose Carell. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us all.

I'm suddenly curious how Carrell would fare on Whose Line is it Anyways if it was still on.

So he's going from The Office to... The Post Office. I hope this doesn't fall in the vein of CSI's, Law & Order's or Grey's Anatomy's lines of similar-feeling spinoffs.

You can't have the office without Carell, think I'll stop watching it

I read they were trying to get Tim Allen to replace his character as the new boss. Could work. Allen is a Sitcom legend with Home Improvement and he is pretty damned funny as well as a good actor. I only say he is a good actor because of that movie Red Belt. He was pretty awesome in it. Was very surprised.

This makes me sad, but now I'm curious about his new show. I hope its good.

Now I'll watch some reruns of The Office to make me fell better.

We all knew it was coming. This is a sad day for me. I hope Dwight and Andy can carry the show after he leaves. Farewell Micheal Scott. I will miss you.

I've never really gotten into The Offic, but I really want to. I just don't know where to start. It's a shame Carell is leaving, I always found him a good actor in general.

Hopefully everything works out. I'm a big fan of the office, and it would be a shame to see it go bad.

Jumplion:
I've never really gotten into The Offic, but I really want to. I just don't know where to start. It's a shame Carell is leaving, I always found him a good actor in general.

Start with season one and go from there. Season 1 is pretty cheap now I think.

I actually hope that the office ends when he leaves. Not because I don't like, it BECAUSE I love it. I don't want it to jump the shark like so many other sitcoms when the writers run out of stuff to do.

The show will certainly be a lot different, but it could use a bit of a jump start to keep it from becoming too stale. And based on the other NBC comedies (Community and 30 Rock) this new show could be good.

I always liked Carell. Never liked The American Office. Loved the British one.

Meh, maybe this is a good thing that hes doing something different for a change.

Onyx Oblivion:
That's fine with me. His characters stopped being funny after a few seasons, the new blood kept it going. Still, this is one example of the American version of a show surpassing the UK original. In my opinion, at least.

I agree that the US version has surpassed the OK version, but I'm surprised that you have yet to be the target of some serious rage for saying that.

However, I still find Carell to be hilarious. For me, him, Jim, and Dwight are the heart of the show, and I'm sad to see him go. But as long as we hold on to Jim and Dwight, I think Ill be okay.

Nooooooo! Ah, hopefully Jim, Dwight and Andy can keep the show going. Oops, I forgot about Creed, gotta love that guy.

What the fuck am I reading? What the FUCKING HELL am I reading!? The Office is done. It'll last a few more episodes before it gets pulled. What the hell is Carell thinking. That's one of the most popular damn shows on TV, and in three weeks it'll be gone with no buildup, no conclusion, just gone.

UK sitcoms don't seem to last as long as the US's... which is a good thing sometimes because some US comedies are long past their prime.

Meh I never found him funny...

5 bucks says his new character, he plays as 'the idoit'. Cause thats been his whole career.

...........yeah Ricky Gervais is still better.

I imagine that its going to be a bit awkward whenever he has to walk past The Office studio. "Hey guys, sorry I abandoned you to make my own show and make lots of money. I hope you understand." It will probably go something like that. On a more serious note it sounds like his new show will be based on his experiences working in a post office. I would much rather see a show based on his experiences working on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Xzi:
Well I look forward to seeing how his new show pans out, but I'll definitely miss Michael Scott. NBC's Thursday night line-up (Community, The Office, 30 Rock, Outsourced) is the only thing I can bear watching on basic cable TV.

What about House on Fox?

OT: Michael was a great character and while he has been... a bit awkward in this season, he will be missed. It's going to be really hard to to follow his footsteps. But I will say he is one reason why the American version is better. Him and Dwight.

NOOOOO!! Micheal, No! Don't do it!

Anarchemitis:
I'm suddenly curious how Carrell would fare on Whose Line is it Anyways if it was still on.

Well Michael Schott is good at improv(see The Office episodes from season 2-christmas episode)

OT: Sad that Carell is leaving The Office but I will watch his other show and hope he's not just writing it.

Anarchemitis:

As far as improv goes WLIIA is an extremely scripted show. That said, I am pretty sure he would do great at any improv. So long as he doesn't do it like his Michael Scott character and just point a gun at everyone in every scene.

Heh, Post Office <==> post-Office, I get it. :)

I'm indifferent to what happens with The Office; I stopped watching it earlier this year. Ever since the season leading up to Jim and Pam's wedding, only like half the episodes have been funny, so I ended up favoring catching up on the consistently hilarious Community in my limited Hulu-watching time.

Meh,
worst comedian ever...
well besides jim carey and robin williams
definitely top 3

It began as a mistake.

It was Christmas season and I learned from the drunk up on the hill, who did the trick every Christmas, that they would hire damned near anybody, and so I went and the next thing I knew I had this leather sack on my back and was hiking around at my leisure. What a job, I thought. Soft! They only gave you a block or two and if you managed to finish, the regular carrier would give you another block to carry, or maybe you'd go back in and the soup would give you another, but you just took your time and shoved those Xmas cards in the slots.

I think it was my second day as a Christmas temp that this big woman came out and walked around with me as I delivered letters. What I mean by big was that her ass was big and her tits were big and that she was big in all the right places. She seemed a bit crazy, but I kept looking at her body and I didn't care.

She talked and talked and talked. Then it came out. Her husband was an officer on an island far away and she got lonely, you know, and lived in this little house in back all by herself.

"What little house?" I asked.

She wrote the address on a piece of paper.

"I'm lonely too," I said, "I'll come by and we'll talk tonight."

I was shacked but the shackjob was gone half the time, off somewhere and I was lonely alright. I was lonely for that big ass standing beside me.

"All right," she said, "see you tonight."

She was a good one all right, she was a good lay but like all lays after the third or fourth night I began to lose interest and didn't go back.

But I couldn't help thinking, god, all these mailmen is drop in their letters and get laid. This is the job for me, oh yes yes yes.

Carell as Henry Chinaski, I don't see it... Oh he's not adapting Post Office? Oh that could work I guess...

Really they should just end the show with his departure. It'll never be as good as it was. Actually it hasn't been as good as it was for the last 3 seasons.

And EVERYTHING of value was lost.

Charli:
Meh I never found him funny...

I never found this show funny. But The post office?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.