I, Robot, Dark City Director Secures Rights to Disabled Superhero Story

I, Robot, Dark City Director Secures Rights to Disabled Superhero Story

It's Watchmen meets District 9 in Alex Proyas' new project, where a group of disabled people are accidentally given superpowers.

Proyas, the Australian director whose work includes The Crow, I, Robot and Dark City, has paid an unspecified six-figure sum for the rights to Daniel H. Wilson's upcoming book AMP, a techno-thriller filled with political allegory that will "explore and expand" what it means to be human.

Wilson's as-yet unfinished novel is set in a future where cyber-engineering designed to help disabled people gives some of them superpowers instead. The plan is to hire a screenwriter who will redraft the novel pages into script form, much in the same way as the script for Robopocalypse - another one of Wilson's books, which starts filming in early 2012 - was put together.

Proyas won the rights to AMP at an auction, which apparently also included Paramount and Working Title, the studio behind movies like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Wilson went with Proyas' offer because he was impressed at Proyas' plan to keep the budget low and use his own production company. Currently, Proyas is only confirmed as the movie's producer, but it's thought that he will probably direct it as well.

Superhero movies are all the rage at the moment - there is at least seven coming out in the next two years, including Green Lantern, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers - but it's pretty unlikely that any of them will be using the idea of superhuman powers in quite the same way as AMP. Much of Proyas' previous work has focused around dark settings and people with unusual abilities, and it will be interesting to see what he does when actual, full-on superpowers are on the cards.

The book version of AMP should hit shelves in either late 2011 or early 2012, with the movie version coming some time after that.

Source: Deadline

jeretik:
Terrible.

Reported.

OT: I think this idea is VERY original!

jeretik:
Terrible.

Care to elaborate on that point at all?

Sounds interesting (both the book and the to-be-adapted movie). Probably will check them out since I need to get more into books and movies in general.

interesting...

buying the movie rights to a book, before its even done, and before you have any idea of how good its actually going to be? That's either a very optimistic producer, or a VERY good (as in, Tolkien/G. R. R. Martin good) writer...

I'll have to go check out some of his books :P

so that makes, what, 2 "disabled" superheroes in history? (well, this one that IS disabled, and Daredevil, which is sort of blind =P)

surely makes up for Mr I-can-do-fucking-everything-and-I'm-freakishly-overpowered-because-I'm-an-alien-man

that being said, I didn't heard about that book, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Logan

I'll be looking forward to the movie

teh_Canape:
so that makes, what, 2 "disabled" superheroes in history? (well, this one that IS disabled, and Daredevil, which is sort of blind =P)

surely makes up for Mr I-can-do-fucking-everything-and-I'm-freakishly-overpowered-because-I'm-an-alien-man

that being said, I never read the book, thanks for bringing it to my attention, Logan

I'll be looking forward to the movie

How about Professor X from X-Men :3

Dexiro:
How about Professor X from X-Men :3

true, but I didn't forgot about him, I just don't count him as a hero, since he isn't as straight up as DareDevil, for example, as far as I remember, Professor X doesn't go by himself, but rather provides background help to the ones that do go =P

I'm all for political correctness and all, but this? Too far maybe?
That said, the idea of

Logan Westbrook:
Watchmen meets District 9

does intrigue me.

I am intrigued

Dark City is awesome enough for me to go see any movie from him.

Logan Westbrook:
Daniel H. Wilson's upcoming book AMP, a techno-thriller filled with political allegory

Oh dear.

Nine times out of ten "Pollitical Allegory" as a bulletpoint means "Beware of flying anvils."

But it won't matter anyway because if it's the same director as I, robot the chances of the film even resembling the book are slim indeed.

Grey Carter:

Logan Westbrook:
Daniel H. Wilson's upcoming book AMP, a techno-thriller filled with political allegory

Oh dear.

Nine times out of ten "Pollitical Allegory" as a bulletpoint means "Beware of flying anvils."

But it won't matter anyway because if it's the same director as I, robot the chance of the film even resembling the book is slim indeed.

Actually the differences have very little to do with Proyas. Blame the scriptwriters who retrofitted an unrelated script with the I, Robot name and idea.

I'd still be interested if he's used as director on this piece, but I'd want to see a trailer before I made up my mind about whether or not to check this one out further. Proyas is a solid director, but his work is a little hit and miss with me. I honestly wasn't that impressed until I saw Dark City (which I have no clue how that got under my radar for so long).

Logan Westbrook:

Grey Carter:

Logan Westbrook:

Oh dear.

But it won't matter anyway because if it's the same director as I, robot the chance of the film even resembling the book is slim indeed.

Actually the differences have very little to do with Proyas. Blame the scriptwriters who retrofitted an unrelated script with the I, Robot name and idea.

The fact he sat in the directors chair while Will Smith tried to sell me sneakers, instead of hurling himself upon the cameras makes him a collaborator and therefore guilty.

But yes, that is a fair point.

Dark City is one of my favourite movies, if it can be anywhere near as awesome then i'm happy.

I am kind of sick of superheros though...

Hmm... I might actually want to watch this.

I'll see how it turns out in the ratings and what the plot is.

Quiet Stranger:

jeretik:
Terrible.

Reported.

OT: I think this idea is VERY original!

Logan Westbrook:

jeretik:
Terrible.

Care to elaborate on that point at all?

It's terrible that superheroes are so popular in USA. It's terrible that we don't get enough of meaningful and genuinely fun films because they don't pay off because superhero films are so popular. It's terrible that The Escapist writes and talks so much about superheroes. It's terrible that superhero universes are often combined in a crossover mess. Most superheroes are quite terrible. Games about superheroes are also terrible. Most of the films about superheroes are terrible (for example, the last few Batman films).
The idea to make superhero disabled people film is both pathetic and terrible. Pathetic because it will be pretentiously symbolic and terrible because it will be about emo superheroes. It's just terrible, just like the kids who watch that shit. I could go on like this forever, but I'm not going to waste my energy on a lost cause.

For a second there I thought this was gonna be a thread about Unbreakable.

Damn, that was a fine movie.

Jezzascmezza:
I'm all for political correctness and all, but this? Too far maybe?

That statement doesn't even make sense. How, exactly, would this be politically correct? They're not taking an existing storyline and shoving in disabled characters to appear 'inclusive,' the premise is 'disabled people get superpowers,' and it's likely going to explore that in some way. Do you think Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, Daredevil, and Avatar (amongst other examples), which all use a similar premise, are paragons of policial correctness? Well, maybe Avatar is, but besides that.

isnt dare devil essentially a disabled superhero

Sincere outlaw:
Dark City is awesome enough for me to go see any movie from him.

This man speaks the truth

Dark City was the Matrix just twenty million times better

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or