Capcom: No New Darkstalkers or Capcom Vs. SNK For a While

Capcom: No New Darkstalkers or Capcom Vs. SNK For a While

Capcom's got a ton of fighting titles in the works, but neither Darkstalkers nor Capcom vs. SNK are getting a new game anytime soon.

It's been a while since the Darkstalkers and Capcom vs. SNK franchises received new titles, much to the disappointment of these series' fans. These fans should be relieved to know that Capcom hasn't abandoned either series, but it's going to be quite a while before fans get to play a new game.

According to Christian Svensson, Capcom's US VP, in a forum post, the games are on the company's mind, but they're not an immediate priority. "Right now we're focused on Street Fighter X Tekken, SSFIV: 3D Edition, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and maybe something else somewhere ... That's more than enough fighting products for an audience to digest in the near term without overly cannibalising each other ... It takes years to make a game (that's multiple years), even an HD Remix, so while we may get to them some day, that day is still likely to be a ways off."

Of course, back in September, Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono admitted that making a new Darkstalkers game was his "ultimate dream," but it wouldn't happen without fans making a lot of noise about it. The last official Darkstalkers game was Darkstalkers Chronicle for the PSP, though at least two characters (Felicia and Morrigan) are scheduled to appear in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

Source: Eurogamer

Sure, why make a game that people actually want?

Hold on...have you been talking to Kotick?

Please let them be working on a Power Stone 3...

SSFIV: 3D Edition and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition? Really? How many times is Capcom going to re-release the same Street Fighter games and just extend the titles? I realize that they're trying to milk Street Fighter as much as possible, but it's just getting more and more ridiculous. Especially since they're putting these "enhanced" editions over actual new games.

B B hood better make it into MVC3 or there will be hell to pay!

dammit, I want my darkstalkers

Can't say the DarkStalkers news hurts me much as I never got into that series.. but I LOVED the CvS games so hearing a new one of those isn't exactly right around the corner is sad indeed.

Nedoras:
SSFIV: 3D Edition and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition? Really? How many times is Capcom going to re-release the same Street Fighter games and just extend the titles? I realize that they're trying to milk Street Fighter as much as possible, but it's just getting more and more ridiculous. Especially since they're putting these "enhanced" editions over actual new games.

To be fair, the HD remix of Super Turbo with online play did a lot to revitalize the Super Turbo scene and I'd imagine they believe the 3rd Strike re-release may do the same thing there. Also, SF43D is less a new edition of an old game and more a fairly simple port.

Not that I don't agree about wanting them to actually make new games, I just see those as a little different.

I loved the theme, style and characters of Dark Stalkers, but I found the fighting rather... Bleh.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Sure, why make a game that people actually want?

Hold on...have you been talking to Kotick?

Darkstalkers isn't THAT popular. And a lot of people weren't keen on CapVSSNK either due to the balancing issues.

SFIV only sold well due to the nostalgia factor and some serious promotion investment.

Aww...That is to bad. But i can wait. Atleast as MvsC3 is released on time.

Darn. I was looking forward to a new Darkstalkers game for a long time now, but it seems that the Street Fighter trough is still full.

I'd Much rather play a DarkStalkers gamer right now anyway.

Nedoras:

Forever, if they can afford it. This is the same cycle from the early '90s: numerous revisions of the flagship title, followed by numerous imitators, followed by a few unique games, followed by a decline.

Even if Capcom (or another studio under Capcom contract: Dimps) delivers a new Darkstalkers game other players would request a new Rival Schools game, then a new Tech Romancer game, but Capcom doesn't have the resources to develop so many games at one time anymore. Until the time when new fighting games are released, I'll be in Third Strike practice until the online edition comes out, then play something else when no one wants to play Third Strike.

*Continues to wait for another Darkstalkers.*

There always my copy of the Darkstalkers collection.

Well good news they will be likely making a new Darkstalkers which I can't wait for of course being my favorite fighting game series. Though a little disheartening to hear that it will be a while I've been waiting what 10 years now whats another 4-5 right Capcom?

I've been boycotting Capcom since early to mid '09 and the only thing that can get me to break it is a new Rival Schools game. Powerstone is great, Darkstalkers is great but come on Capcom; listen to the people who care and not just grab something because nostalgia has clouded their judgement.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here