Man Creates Working Star Trek Door

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Man Creates Working Star Trek Door

A man built a door in his house that opens just like the doors of the U.S.S. Enterprise, complete with that *woosh* sound.

The doors of the U.S.S. Enterprise appear to open automatically and send a jet of air that results in a *shh shh* sound. Of course, each time a door opened on the set of any Star Trek show or movie, a crewman needed to open the door manually and the signature sound effect was added later. An enterprising (heh) DIY engineer from Miami accomplished the task that Scottie couldn't by installing a door in his house that not only slides open like a real Star Trek door, but the compressed air that it uses exhausts out of a vent and provides that awesome real sound. Mark posted pictures and described how he created the door to his bedroom on his blog, but you have to watch the video to see it work.

"I always wanted a piece of Star Trek and the Disney Monorail in my house, and one thing they have in common is that they both have automatic sliding doors," Mark wrote. "It would be the perfect, most geek-ified entryway for my bedroom. Only one problem: I was still in school and still lived at home with my mother in New Orleans. I had tried to convince her for years that installing a Star Trek Door would be a good idea, but it never happened. It wasn't until we were renovating our house after Hurricane Katrina that she finally caved in. There wouldn't be a better time to do it."

I salute you Mark, not only for the technical chops that it took to make this door work, but also for making the sound a huge part of how it functioned.

Source: UI Productions

Thats pretty cool. :D

It wooshes!!

He needs a motion sensor for it, but cool none the less.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - Chuck has those already...

I was hoping for a bigger and more metal-y door. But this is still pretty cool.

Daemascus:

...I smell another use for Kinect!

Daemascus:

i was hoping it would have one. would have been ultra-awesome if it did but as it is, it's regular awesome. i want one!

Awesome. Now I want to make one. Stupid dorm not being mine... *sulks*

Only one problem: I was still in school and still lived at home with my mother in New Orleans.

That's a common problem for people who want Star Trek doors in their house XD

I'm so jealous.

amazing its just like the star trek doors at my local supermarket! jk

Interesting but that is not even CLOSE to Trek doors.

All he needs to do now is make his room look like the bridge from Star Trek and his room will be the epitome of awesome.

It's funny because they used to open and close the door by hand on the show...<.<

Cure for cancer? F*ck that noise. Star Trek doors are more important.

All that, and he thought of nicely incorporating it nicely into his home without it screaming geek to the untrained eye, or ear for that matter. Well done sir!

Digikid:

indeed, there's no dudes behind there pulling the door open and then artificially added WHOOSH afterwards. -_-;

There are to many nerds in the world with to much time on their hands // Not that it's a bad thing as I am one of those nerds

-M

This seems more primitive to me than 99% of all automatic doors I've ever seen. BUT OMFG IT WHOOSHES!!!

That control panel is extremely well hidden.

Halley M:

Digikid:

indeed, there's no dudes behind there pulling the door open and then artificially added WHOOSH afterwards. -_-;

You are entirely missing the point. What I said before was true. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. TREK. DOORS.

First off you did not need to press a button....or a key even.
Secondly they were NEVER that LOUD
Thirdly they had sensors that stopped it from closing on you

You want trek style doors? The ones at the supermarket are 100x more Trek doors than this is....and better made.

Digikid:

Halley M:

Digikid:

You are entirely missing the point. What I said before was true. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. TREK. DOORS.

You want trek style doors? The ones at the supermarket are 100x more Trek doors than this is....and better made.

Well aren't we a Mr. Bitterpants today? :/

OT: Pretty cool, and yeah a motion sensor would work well enough. Some doors in Star Trek did indeed work off of a panel on the side. My guess is that it was a setting that one could choose for their quarters.

Jbird:

How did you know?!

Seriously though, making doors that woosh open and hiss closed is something that anyone with a bit of mechanical, electrical, and carpentry knowledge could do. Curing cancer would require insane amounts of knowledge of the human body, all known medical treatments, drugs, machines, tools, and so much more. If we could cure cancer as easily as making a wooshing door, we'd have done it by now. :(

Awesome...

Damn now i want one..

Daemascus:

I got one better. An RFID tag he can stick in a key-chain, bracket, necklace, or something else. Then it only opens for him.

Jbird:

Of course, we all know that kid could have cured cancer all by his lonesome. How dare he make an interesting door!

Digikid:

Halley M:

Digikid:

They pushed a button in Enterprise. It's an interesting door in the style of the doors on the show. Stop being Mr. BitterButt and enjoy.

Well,the system behind it can't be too hard.A simple pneumatic system with two low powered actuators and a very,very basic electronic system for the timer,maybe even the button control if he felt giddy that day.

What I really want to know if where he hides the air tank and compressor.

Zer_:

Digikid:

Halley M:

Well aren't we a Mr. Bitterpants today? :/

Not at all. Just laying the pure truth out there. The guy was creative though. Will give him that.

I wish all my doors was like that...

hah sounds authentic! I salute thee! <(^.^),

manaman:
How dare he make an interesting door!

That made me laugh, unlike the other response to my sarcasm someone else wrote.

Exocet:
What I really want to know if where he hides the air tank and compressor.

It says in his writeup that he keeps it in the attic.

OT: I've always dreamed of doing this in my house. Props to the guy for getting his pocket doors smooth enough to use actuators.

Clever. Though the lack of automation does leave it a bit less than what it is copied from.

Of course, if you pay close attention to the doors in Star Trek, you'll know they're disturbingly clever.
(Granted, they're 100% fake, so you can make one do whatever the script says, but taken at face value as if it were a real thing, they are quite odd)

A real automatic door, like those typically seen in a supermarket are basically motion sensitive. They'll open if anyone moves within a certain range of the door.

Meanwhile, I've witnessed a shot in an episode of TNG where someone stood right next to a door, about to leave a room, but it didn't open until just before he was about to leave...
Suggesting it had some ability to detect the intent of a person.
Weird, when you think about it too much.

O_o... that ought to be the definition of awesomeness.

OK, am I missing something? Last I checked, Target had "mastered this technology" years ago. Heck, they don't even need the damn button, they just use invisible magic.

O.O MUST HAVE IT!

Jbird:

lmao As if cancer was as easy to cure as it would be for some guy who knows mechanics to set up a Star Trek door.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here