First Music from Videogames Nominated for Grammys

First Music from Videogames Nominated for Grammys

Music composed specifically for use in a videogame has never been recognized for a Grammy, but this year two videogame songs were nominated.

The Grammy Awards are given out every year by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. For those of you who might not follow American Pop Culture, the Grammys are like the Oscars or the BAFTA awards, but for music. There are what seems like thousands of categories, from Best Rock Or Rap Gospel Album to Best Spoken Word Album For Children but, for some reason, videogame music has never been including. This year, game music still doesn't have its own category, but two songs that were made for games have been honored with a nomination. First, as previously reported, Baba Yetu was written by Christopher Tin for the splash screen for Civilization IV and it is nominated for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. Also nominated is Megadeth's Sudden Death, which was written by Dave Mustane to appear in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

The song Baba Yetu was recorded again as part of Tin's Calling All Dawns album, also nominated for Best Classical Crossover Album. Baba Yetu features sweeping themes and a wonderful vocalist singing the Lord's Prayer in Swahili.

"Working on Sid Meier's Civilization IV was a thrill for me - not only because it was a game that I grew up playing obsessively, but because it was my first-ever videogame job," said Tin. "Firaxis gave me the time, space, and means to create something unique and special - you can't ask for better creative conditions as a composer. I look forward to working with them again and again, from now until the end of... well, civilization."

Unfortunately, Dave Mustane could not be reached for comment, but I'm sure he's thrilled that the song he wrote for Warriors of Rock might get him some recognition as it's nominated for Best Metal Performance. Megadeth's track record at the Grammys hasn't been very good; the band has been nominated 8 times but has never never been selected to win. Here's hoping that nine times is the charm.

Another nominee of note is the Cee-Lo song Fuck You for Record of the Year. The song has a pretty apt videogame reference in the lyrics, which may have spawned this 8 bit remake. Sadly, the 8-bit version was not nominated.

The Grammy Awards will be announced on February 13th.

Source: Grammy.com

Sort your tags out, it's spelt Megadeth. >:(

I still have the opening music of Civ 4 stuck in my head. Bloody awesome, even if it the *shudders* Lord's Prayer...

I'm surprise not to see Final Fantasy XIII on the list. That game had some great music

Fucking love Baba Yetu.

If it wasn't for my nostalgia for Morrowind's intro music, it would be my favourite video game track ever.

It's nice to see video game music finally make Grammy nominees... but it's still not really 'video game music,' per se. For example, a real song recorded (or re-recorded) specifically for a video game should automatically be disqualified from nomination[1].

[1] By 'real song,' I mean something such as could be played on the radio as a rock, pop, or country song. Therefore, Megadeth could not be included on the list, nor (sorry) could Jonathan Coulton's "Still Alive." Baba Yetu is walking the line, but I would consider it acceptable for nomination.

Frankly, Alexander Brandon's music should be rewarded a hundred times more... ( he made Deus Ex music, Jazz Jackrabbit 1&2 musics, and Unreal Tournament 1 musics )

Megadeth!!!!!! \m/ \m/

I think Jack Wall deserves a nomination for his work on ME2, specifically the main title theme "Suicide Mission." So epic.

Er, but this is a step in the right direction for video games as a medium, to be recognized by something as big as the Grammy's. I'll take that at least

Well the fact that the music is barely different from the kinds of music that would usually appear makes this slightly less awesome than it otherwise would be, but still, this is pretty great. Next to get some real recognition for Nobou Uematsu or Martin O'Donnel...

The Civ4 opening was epic, but why is it being nominated now? Didn't that come out four years ago?

Dr Megadeth:
Sort your tags out, it's spelt Megadeth. >:(

Yeah, and the guy's last name is spelled Mustaine. With an "I". Geez, Escapist, you've been slipping a lot lately.

... Why do we care about the Grammy's again?

Seriously, aren't they famous for snubbing artists for XYZ reason?

Not surprised by Baba Yetu's nomination, but Sudden Death? I don't know, that just seems odd to me...

Out of all the great video game songs in the world, they picked those two? Hurray.

Unless I see Castle Crashers music, I will continuously be disappointed.

On an unrelated note, *waves Gorillaz flag.

The same year as Craig Ferguson gets nominated? Wow, the grammies got cool all of a sudden.

Kind of off topic, but when you first fired up Civ IV to hear it open with Babu Yetu, followed by a long narration from Leonard Nimroy... in comparisson it's no wonder Civ V seems a little lacking in heart and a bit underwhelming.

Pretty cool that it's getting nominated, even if it's years after it's initial creation and in a non-video game format.

I swear that this isn't the first video game music to be nominated for something like this. I can't find it anywhere what so ever though... I can't even remember what game it was either. Oh well, someone pm me if you know what I'm talking about. I know it was a game in the generation of the SNES, but I can't remember...

Great song.Huray

DaxStrife:
The Civ4 opening was epic, but why is it being nominated now? Didn't that come out four years ago?

Im as confused as you are.

This is still a good step. Now that the Grammys have discovered that games can produce some worthwhile stuff maybe they'll be more open to it and people may start taking games more seriously as an art. Someday it may even get its own category. I'm sure the guys at Extra Credits would be happy about this

Orcus_35:
Frankly, Alexander Brandon's music should be rewarded a hundred times more... ( he made Deus Ex music, Jazz Jackrabbit 1&2 musics, and Unreal Tournament 1 musics )

Jazz Jackrabbit has such a cool soundtrack

I would like to see any Jesper Kyd track on that list!

And well deserved if you ask me, even if it is the Grammys, it's still a step forward into taking the game industry more seriously so we should be happy about this!

So songs that were featured in games and then made their way onto albums are being nomiated?

The judges have probably made absolutly no connection to gaming at all.

What about Jeremy Soule? - composer of the Elderscroll-series music, Guild Wars 1 & 2, Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege, just to name a few.

That said, I can understand why Christopher Tin's Baba Yetu was nominated.

josemlopes:

Orcus_35:

Jazz Jackrabbit has such a cool soundtrack

i couldn't agree more !

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or