China Pirates Japan's Giant Gundam Statue

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Not to be outdone by Japan's life-sized mecha statue, China is building a giant knockoff Gundam of its own.

A quick recap: Last year, Japan built a full-scale, life-size version of the eponymous giant robot from groundbreaking anime Mobile Suit Gundam. Then, they tore it down. Then they put it back up again, because let's face it, it was too cool to not have around.

Apparently, someone in China agrees. As the photo seen here to the right indicates, a theme park in Szechuan province has been hard at work on its own Gundam statue. Sure, it's a bit smaller than the real deal and inexplicably painted orange, but there's no mistaking it for what it is. The 30-year-old anime franchise has reportedly been gaining popularity in China in recent years, so this may be designed to take advantage of that.

Or maybe not. Maybe the guys running this theme park just saw photos of the Gundam in Odaiba online and said, "Oh snap, we totally need one of those for our own place!" Then they made it happen. China's copyright laws have always been notoriously lax, after all, and this wouldn't be the first time that we've seen a knockoff tourist attraction in the Middle Kingdom.

I just have one question: Why is it orange? If you're going to do an alternate paint job, at least do something cool like painting it Titans' colors. Hell, if it was red, they could pretend it was the Guncannon.

Orange just doesn't work very well for this sort of thing at all.

(Gizmodo JP, via Kotaku)

if they are going to do that, They gotta actually make em work and make em fight! Whoever wins, keeps it.

8bitmaster:
if they are going to do that, They gotta actually make em work and make em fight! Whoever wins, keeps it.

I vote for the japanese one to win. :D Looks much better.

They could have used the Dragon Gundam!

China...the country of "Anything you can do, I can do cheaper" :P

I'm sorry but I had to do it. Hey, either way it takes quite a feat to even take the time to build one of those Gundams. The problem is I think China really doesn't know what it needs to value since they essentially warped themselves through their industrial revolution.

It should have been the Dragon Gundam from G Gundam I think, Guncannon would have been neat though.

fair enough

I shall build my own PatLabor in case shit hits the fan

as for why is it orange, idk, maybe it's just a place holder? =P

edit: maybe they're trying to recreate the difference between the USA M-308 Gunner and the Japanese M-308 Gunner

but eh, that's just my own nerdsgasm

I like the way it's the exact same orange that most of China's toys are coloured.

China: a country that formerly kept itself isolated from the rest of the world due to its notion of cultural superiority, now shamelessly stealing ideas from other countries.

Seriously, the only reason why this isn't completely silly in Japan is because Gundam was created there and attained tremendous popularity there. It has cultural significance in Japan.

I'm sure there are a lot of Dragon Ball Z fans in America, but you don't see anyone building a massive bronze statue of Goku.

drisky:
It should have been the Dragon Gundam from G Gundam I think

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Plus I ninja'd you! :P

(Just kinda glad I actually did ninja someone instead of being ninja'd)

Funny because that's how China distributes their products in $1 stores. And people buy it anyway.

Korten12:

8bitmaster:

I vote for the japanese one to win. :D Looks much better.

Plus it is likely built more soundly.

I am dead serious when I say they need to battle. It will be the greatest fight in human history.

I just have one question: Why is it orange?

Methinks orange paint was cheaper.

China, it would seem. I wonder if this is going to end in a hilarious, overblown Gundam war.

Jbird:
I am dead serious when I say they need to battle. It will be the greatest fight in human history.

There is only one way... you hold down Shia LaBeouf while I get my scalpel

Edit:JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR MODS I'm talking about retrieving the 'Matrix'

Quick someone call RIAA! Bet they can milk billions for this.

Do hope they make them work, yes it's mad, but so is putting up statues of Gundams :D

i cant stop laugh-smiling thinking about this XD its just an awesomely comical situation for me rofl.

O if only Gundams could actually function at those sizes! I'll settle for Human size gundam tho :D i mean no emo kids piloting them is always good right? lol

oh for fucks sake! ISNT THERE ANYTHING CHINA DOESNT RIP OF?! I love gundam and I hat it being ripped of!
y,know maybe they can bring them both to life and make them fight eachother that might excuse china from ripping it off

and then a PROPER MECH like a MadCat turns up and kills both, due to there being the rules of physics in this world AKA a 200 tonne robot cant fly.

Mechs= upgrade of tanks which have a large amount of fire power but are still highly mobile. They are not just big versions of power-amour that can defy logic and physics

1: Shoulda been Dragon Gundam
2: C'mon, America! Let's out-do them! Build a life-size version of Megas!

Mr. Omega:

Fuck Megas

I DEMAND A MECHA GODZILLA! MECHA GODZILLA DESERVES A STATUE!

John Funk:

Not to be outdone by Japan's life-sized mecha statue, China is building a giant knockoff Gundam of its own.

A quick recap: Last year, Japan built a full-scale, life-size version of the eponymous giant robot from groundbreaking anime Mobile Suit Gundam. Then, they tore it down. Then they put it back up again, because let's face it, it was too cool to not have around.

Apparently, someone in China agrees. As the photo seen here to the right indicates, a theme park in Szechuan province has been hard at work on its own Gundam statue. Sure, it's a bit smaller than the real deal and inexplicably painted orange, but there's no mistaking it for what it is. The 30-year-old anime franchise has reportedly been gaining popularity in China in recent years, so this may be designed to take advantage of that.

Or maybe not. Maybe the guys running this theme park just saw photos of the Gundam in Odaiba online and said, "Oh snap, we totally need one of those for our own place!" Then they made it happen. China's copyright laws have always been notoriously lax, after all, and this wouldn't be the first time that we've seen a knockoff tourist attraction in the Middle Kingdom.

I just have one question: Why is it orange? If you're going to do an alternate paint job, at least do something cool like painting it Titans' colors. Hell, if it was red, they could pretend it was the Guncannon.

Orange just doesn't work very well for this sort of thing at all.

(Gizmodo JP, via Kotaku)

zHellas:

There can only be one answer

GUNDAM FIGHT... READY GO!

Can't find a proper clip for it, sorry.

Oh you creepy country that'll invade the whole world one day.
You so silly.

HankMan:

Mr. Omega:

Fuck Megas

Which version of Mecha Godzilla? 70s, 90s or millennium? Y'know whst, I'll answer for you: ALL THREE.

PS: I put Megas because that's the only robot I could think of that didn't originate in Japan.

its a totally original character Im sure O_o??.

zHellas:

100% what I was thinking!

zHellas:

drisky:
It should have been the Dragon Gundam from G Gundam I think

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

Plus I ninja'd you! :P

(Just kinda glad I actually did ninja someone instead of being ninja'd)

I'll show you ninja'd!

i'm confused, why go to all the effort of trying to make of knock off when you could apply that effort of making your own unique object/design?

mb16:
and then a PROPER MECH like a MadCat turns up and kills both, due to there being the rules of physics in this world AKA a 200 tonne robot cant fly.

Mechs= upgrade of tanks which have a large amount of fire power but are still highly mobile. They are not just big versions of power-amour that can defy logic and physics

sorry to burst your bubble but the madcat and all the other mechs in battletech are just as physics defying as gundams (seriously, 75 tonnes? at 12.75 meters? that thing would tear itself apart under its own weight in the same way an 18 meter high gundam would if they existed in reality)

also you can't compare two objects from two completely different franchises which run on different made up physic to justify their use, thats just being silly

Why is everyone saying they should have made the Dragon Gundam? Personally, I would much prefer either Shenlong or Altron Gundam from Gundam Wing:

Mr. Omega:

HankMan:

Mr. Omega:

Fuck Megas

Which version of Mecha Godzilla? 70s, 90s or millennium? Y'know whst, I'll answer for you: ALL THREE.

PS: I put Megas because that's the only robot I could think of that didn't originate in Japan.

How about Terminator? Or if we're going by mech-suits, "The Big Guy"

This is probably the most overt building of weapons of mass destruction ever - China arent building this as a copy, they're building it as both a protection and deterrent. I eagerly await the day when one of them pisses the other off and, like the comments above, we get to see a full scale mecha battle!

1. Japan is the only nation allowed to express such things.
2. China is totally unoriginal right noa.
3. Made in China. Weak quality and this one looks boring to look at. Ugly as well.

Japan wins.

HahahaHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!! OMG i hope they suddenly come to life and starts fighting.

Awesome....GAH!! Why can't Sweden be as awesome and build something like this to?!

I demand a giant robot to be built here!

And they need to make these to robot statues to battle.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here