Weta Workshop Builds Real Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Weta Workshop Builds Real Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun

If you're at Valve HQ and turn a corner to find this sentry gun staring you in the face, turn around, quickly.

Design and effects studio Weta Workshop, known for its work on properties such as the Lord of the Rings movies, might be trying to kill everyone at Valve headquarters. Valve recently posted a video on YouTube of Weta mounting a Team Fortress 2 sentry gun at its headquarters.

Weta must have an Engineer working for it, but he's nowhere to be found in the video. The sentry gun is only level one, so it still needs to be upgraded to reach its full Gatling potential, but every aspect from its tripod base to the large red ammo box is spot on.

It works just like the virtual version of the sentry gun found in Team Fortress 2, with a motion sensor included that detects movement for aiming purposes. Valve decided to put it in the company lobby to annihilate any unwanted Scouts, Soldiers, Heavies, Demomen, Pyros, or people selling magazines.

The sentry gun isn't seen actually firing bullets, and instead has lights that imitate a muzzle flash. Valve and Weta claim that doesn't have the ability to kill anyone, but I know that I won't be going into Valve's lobby anytime soon without a cloak or disguise.

Oh, awesome!
<.<
>.>
Can I get one? :P
Oh, and it has to be upgradable X3

This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. I totally am asking Santa for one!

Pfff. Only a Level 1 Sentry? All you need is a Heavy/Medic combo to take that bad boy down.

What Valve really needs is a hardhat Engineer in there with about 400 metal. Then they'll really be defending the secret release date of Half Life 2: Episode 3.

In all seriousness, that is a damn awesome piece of art, and I would love to have one of my own.

These people wouldn't hire me because of a secrecy clause, but all that really meant was "No, we're having too much fun with the Valve Guys".... awwww. :(

You sound like you don't like the news. Like you're feeling a bit... blue?

Aur0ra145:
This is possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. I totally am asking Santa for one!

I second this, that is seriously, seriously awsome stuff. I love the way it was "shooting" the guys setting it up too.

Some one should smack it with a wrench and see just how much work these guys put into that lil doohicky there!

My god..........ITS beautiful.....beautiful.

This reeks of cool.

And, I wonder what it indicates? Valve/Weta video collaboration in the future? (Probably half-life 2 or Left 4 Dead rather than TF2, but either way I'd be excited!)

I don't even like TF2, but that is damn awesome! All Valve needs to do is load it up with some ammunition and they'll be ready to go.

That's awesome... and if it ever gets damaged, all you have to do is violently and repeatedly swing a wrench in its general direction.

Say, WETA... what would it take for you to replace my hand (Or Gabe Newell's) with a Gunslinger? *casually slides $50 bill across the table*

ZOMG
DO WANT!

Seriously, Weta is awesome. They always make amazing things.

And, to reiterate... DO WANT.

The only way the could make this more awesome is to put a dispenser next to it and have someone dress up as a engineer to hide behind it

I want this, I really really want one.

Z of the Na'vi:
Pfff. Only a Level 1 Sentry? All you need is a Heavy/Medic combo to take that bad boy down.

Hah! A single rocket or grenade would do the trick.

Hell, even a lone Heavy could probably do it at full health.

Poor effort, Valve.

A Team Fortess 2 movie must be made. And Brock Lesnar must play as the Heavy or the Soldier.

....That is so fucking awesome.

Gahh! I want one! But why a level 1 sentry? It should have been a level 3...

Just imageine putting 5 of them infront of your lawn...

That is amazing :D Like everyone else: WANT!

The chaps at WETA really make astounding props, didn't they make the Halo Warthog for that short film by Neil Blomkamp?

*tinfoilhat* Valve visiting a prop studio....which has many fantasy/scifi themed projects under their belt. Affiliated with one of the best directors too.... And in New Zealand....where they have nice pristine outdoors.... White Forest anyone?

Word of warning. Do not visit their website and browse the shop section. Those finely crafted...beautiful..awesome looking rayguns...

Ahh... ma petite chou-fleur.

K.

Take that, put ammo in it and make it deadly, use it to guard house. WIN!

SirBryghtside:
I could snipe it from a mile off :P

Ah, but you didn't bet on le spy behind you!

lmao. what will they do if it gets sapped?

Tharwen:

SirBryghtside:

Of all the demons in this world, the spy makes me the most scared.

OT: Sentry Guns? ME WANTZ

Oooo from Weta? I could see this in a Museum or trip to their workshop.

It should at least fire nerf darts :p

If I worked at Valve I'd totally stick some cables to a broken HDD, paint the sapper texture onto it, leave it on that sentry with the cables clipped to it and leave a post-it with "FYI I am a Spy" on a nearby wall.

Now all we need is a couple of sappers and some Sticky bombs and we can start getting a real life TF2 going. It would be fun if people could respawn.

I want, HEY WAIT A MINUTE. That does not fire live ammo, it is a dummy turret.

Ya know what, I bet I could adapt it to use a M-249 SAW with a 2 or 3 thousand round belt. That would be swell (for home defense).

Z of the Na'vi:

Screw that, a well timed rocket/ a few greneades will take down a level 1 especially if it's from a "The Direct Hit". Infact i've taken down level 1s with a sniper just by getting to 100% than peeking/ shooting.

Still kill a pyro/ scout though.

Tharwen:

SirBryghtside:

Fuck spies! I have a Razorback. I just Kukri them when they are de-cloaked like a foo.

they should have equipped it with paintballs, and had it shoot up the valve crew when they came into the lobby,
A practical joke of epic awesomeness

Z of the Na'vi:

The Medic and Spy are the only two classes not able to gun down a Level 1 with their primaries once they know where it is. The Level 1 and the Mini-sentry are both only dangerous if you're distracted or can't figure out where they are.

Scrumpmonkey:

Tharwen:

SirBryghtside:

Fuck spies! I have a Razorback. I just Kukri them when they are de-cloaked like a foo.

Razorback won't help you against any spy who actually remembers he has a gun. Take the Jarate.

Now all they need is a cardboard cutout of the Engineer sitting on his tool box, playing his guitar and drinking a cold-one, and the lobby of Valve will be bathed in pure win.

jonnosferatu:

Z of the Na'vi:

The Medic and Spy are the only two classes not able to gun down a Level 1 with their primaries once they know where it is. The Level 1 and the Mini-sentry are both only dangerous if you're distracted or can't figure out where they are.

Scrumpmonkey:

Tharwen:

Razorback won't help you against any spy who actually remembers he has a gun. Take the Jarate.

You would be suprised how many times it has saved me. at least 30. Jarate is good but i have a bad habbit of camping so i really need that extra against spies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.