Mass Effect 3 to Launch Simultaneously on 360, PS3, PC

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect 3 to Launch Simultaneously on 360, PS3, PC

You'll be able to play Mass Effect 3 at launch, no matter what your home gaming platform of choice is. Well, unless it's a Wii.

For quite some time, BioWare's Mass Effect was one of the crown jewel Xbox 360 (and Windows) exclusives that Microsoft was able to hold over PS3 owners - that is, until BioWare announced that Mass Effect 2 would be hitting the PS3 in January 2011.

There may have been a year-long delay between the Microsoft release of ME2 and its debut on the PlayStation, but according to BioWare there won't be any such delay with the recently-revealed Mass Effect 3.

"At BioWare, we are always driving ourselves to improve and I firmly believe our best work is still ahead of us," said BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka in a press release. "We could not be prouder of the team's accomplishments with Mass Effect 2, and are excited and humbled by all of the recognition the game has received so far. We can't wait to show you what the team is doing to make Mass Effect 3 an even bigger success."

If you're a determined Xbox 360 fanboy, though, you could try to make the case that this gives PS3 owners one less year to perfect their ME2 saves before porting them in to ME3. We'd probably all see through it, though.

I'm glad this game has gone cross-platform. Everyone deserves to experience this amazing series and to be honest only people who are into shovelware are the only people who own just a Wii. I think it's safe to say that most 'hardcore' (god I hate that word) gamers who own a Wii also own one of the other platforms.

Well as you can clearly see this gives PS3 gamers one less year to... oh.

OT: I'm glad every platform gets this amazing game. Once ME3 and all it's DLC comes out I'm going to go back to ME1 and just do one long runthrough with all the choices I would make and attempting to complete as much as possible then transfer my save over and over for one perfect save file ;D

It's gonna be an awesome month... then I'll probably go eat a bacon sandwich.

GamesB2:
Well as you can clearly see this gives PS3 gamers one less year to... oh.

OT: I'm glad every platform gets this amazing game. Once ME3 and all it's DLC comes out I'm going to go back to ME1 and just do one long runthrough with all the choices I would make and attempting to complete as much as possible then transfer my save over and over for one perfect save file ;D

It's gonna be an awesome month... then I'll probably go eat a bacon sandwich.

well one less year isn't so bad, I mean, I'm pretty sure you could 100% ME2 in 10 months, if you can't, then why bother buying ME3?10 months of gaming out of one purchase would be amazing(especially a non-multiplayer one) and really, what would be the rush to buy the sequel?

Doesn't really matter to me when they release it on PC or PS3. I've played the first two on 360, and something pretty extreme would have to happen for me to not get #3 on 360 as well. I didn't put all that time into my saves for nothing you know!

Going to have to go with PC for my platform of choice. Only thing that sucks is the time between now & release =( Can't wait for it, looks damn good.

I'm so damn excited for this game to come out now, seriously worked on my Mass Effect 2 playthrough 3 times and played through the Shadowbroker twice. I want the third installment!

You may argue that Mass Effect was a trilogy designed to be played sequentially and a lot of the enjoyment comes out of the consequences of your actions carrying over through each game, and that only playing ME2 and 3 is like only watching Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...

But who am I kidding, that's just silly Xbot fanboy talk.

I suppose it's just as well that the Wii isn't getting the game, at least from where I'm sitting. I wasn't able to justify getting the sequel when I learned about the mining situation in ME2. Especially when I learned it was required for anyone looking to get a good ending. Even if they've fixed that for 3, it's hard to imagine playing the third game if I've skipped over number 2 considering the way the choice system works.

Josh12345:
well one less year isn't so bad, I mean, I'm pretty sure you could 100% ME2 in 10 months, if you can't, then why bother buying ME3?10 months of gaming out of one purchase would be amazing(especially a non-multiplayer one) and really, what would be the rush to buy the sequel?

/satire?

I'm unsure if you took me seriously.

Finally i can play Mass Effect 2 and 3! My PC isnt powerful enough to run the game and i dont own an xbox 360. Being a hug fan of Bioware (love KOTOR 1 and 2), i am extremely pleased to be able to enjoy the game on my ps3.

The thing is...how can i get to play ME 1 and know the story in order to play the sequels? I heard they would release some sort of content to solve this issue (interactive movie? interactive comic?),is it true? Anyone?

Well that's good news, i shall be pickung up the PC version on day one then. On a side note, Who in their right mind in a Wii only gamer?

I already have a 360, so I'm cool.

This is awesome news. :D Ever sense I completed Mass Effect 2 a few days after it's release (I bought it right away on Steam) I have been waiting for this announcement! Can Not Wait!

Here to more Joker!

marcogodinho:
Finally i can play Mass Effect 2 and 3! My PC isnt powerful enough to run the game and i dont own an xbox 360. Being a hug fan of Bioware (love KOTOR 1 and 2), i am extremely pleased to be able to enjoy the game on my ps3.

The thing is...how can i get to play ME 1 and know the story in order to play the sequels? I heard they would release some sort of content to solve this issue (interactive movie? interactive comic?),is it true? Anyone?

PS3 players of ME2 have an interactive comic to determine what they 'did' in ME1 before they start ME2.

soren7550:
PS3 players of ME2 have an interactive comic to determine what they 'did' in ME1 before they start ME2.

Cool.Thanks for the quick reply! Cheers

CRAP! I don't want to buy the same game twice!! However, depending on how the PS3 port of Mass Effect 2 works (how do choices from Mass Effect carry over into Mass Effect 2 if there is no Mass Effect on the PS3), I will buy it, which means I'll have to buy Mass Effect 3 for my 360 AND PS3. Blast it.

On a side note: How come none of this stuff is coming out around Christmas? Why is everything coming out just after Christmas?

You PS3 guys are in for a treat :)

I'm betting $5 that the PC version will be delay for unknown reasons.
Takers? Raisers?

Sniper Team 4:
CRAP! I don't want to buy the same game twice!! However, depending on how the PS3 port of Mass Effect 2 works (how do choices from Mass Effect carry over into Mass Effect 2 if there is no Mass Effect on the PS3)

There'll be some kind of 'motion comic' with a choice tree apparently, so you can pick the major plot points that ME2 will pick up on.

Almost worth it for me... I never finished ME1 on the PC and didn't pick up ME2 yet, partially because I've almost fully become a PS3 gamer over the past year. My Steam is being neglected...

If Gears of War 3 ends up on the Playstation 3 on release day then I am going to be seriously pissed off that I just updated to the newer Xbox 360, all my favourite games series seem to be being released on the PS3 now as well, and they usually seem to be better as well.

shaboinkin:
I'm betting $5 that the PC version will be delay for unknown reasons.
Takers? Raisers?

10$ says it won't. Bioware don't play dat' shit.

OT: Very excited for my PS3 brethren. No one should be denied the chance to play this series, it's only unfortunate that they don't get experience ME1 in its full glory but.. this interactive comic thing sounds pretty cool.

And while I am excited for ME3, I also have a feeling of depression, like when I found out that Throne of Bhaal would be the last Baldur's Gate game. Endings always depress me, no matter how good they are.

So excited that PS3 people get to experience Mass Effect too. Everyone deserves to enjoy the beauty that is Mass Effect

Nice to see this is going cross-platform. I hate this exclusive bullshit, I rather have this happen than the constant muscle flexing of the two main consoles.

I still have to say, PS3 users will always have a 'incomplete' experience due not having direct access to Mass Effect I.

Legion:
If Gears of War 3 ends up on the Playstation 3 on release day then I am going to be seriously pissed off that I just updated to the newer Xbox 360, all my favourite games series seem to be being released on the PS3 now as well, and they usually seem to be better as well.

Actually, in most cases, when games come out on both consoles, they are better on the 360. Also, Gears wont be coming out on the PS3. Microsoft, as far as I know, owns the rights to it wholly.... as they SHOULD have done with Mass Effect.

Excellent, who honestly cares that a game is exclusive apart from the people who can't play it. This benefits everyone.

Awesome, and will be even more so if the fabled multiplayer is cross platform as well. Well one can hope...

Woo now everyone can bask in the glory of Mass Effect... Except Wii owners... but noone really cares about them anyway.

Some of the story elements in Mass Effect 2 exist because of Mass Effect 1 choices. But now they have to adjust the game for PS3 and PS3 didn't get Mass Effect 1. So what happens with all those story elements that exist because of choices from ME1 (like Wrex, Kaiden and Ashley for example). I hope they wont screw that up for the PC and 360 because of PS3.

And the demo for ME2 drops on PSN in about a week. I see what you did there, EA.

Sniper Team 4:
CRAP! I don't want to buy the same game twice!! However, depending on how the PS3 port of Mass Effect 2 works (how do choices from Mass Effect carry over into Mass Effect 2 if there is no Mass Effect on the PS3), I will buy it, which means I'll have to buy Mass Effect 3 for my 360 AND PS3. Blast it.

On a side note: How come none of this stuff is coming out around Christmas? Why is everything coming out just after Christmas?

Call of Duty

I'll be getting my Mass Effect 3 for my 360, thanks. I already have everything perfected, so I don't even need to touch the game until the end of 2011.

Also, I will get any Mass Effect 3 collectors edition, no matter the cost.

Random Name 4:
You may argue that Mass Effect was a trilogy designed to be played sequentially and a lot of the enjoyment comes out of the consequences of your actions carrying over through each game, and that only playing ME2 and 3 is like only watching Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...

But who am I kidding, that's just silly Xbot fanboy talk.

Well not really, speaking as a Mass Effect fanboy, not an xbox fanboy, I really do feel like you need to play the first game to really get the enjoyment out of the series. I honestly do feel like PS3 players are getting screwed over with this interactive movie bull.

But hey, for the longest time PS3 fanboys were calling Mass Effect crap simply out of fanboyism. Im already anticipating sales figures just so I can see how many bit their tongues. Fanboys will be fanboys I guess.

Good. I may actually pre-order this one for PC, rather than waiting for it to go down to $30 or less.

Mass Effect 3... Why wasn't I told?... Well I'm happy now. The Mass Effect series is one of my favourite video game series of all time. Which is a little strange given that I'm not all that into Sci-fi or well... Star Trek (which the game seems to take a whole lot of influence from). I think the series is starting to perfect its balance between RPG and Shoot, little hinges here and there but otherwise its all good. A very well thought out and extremely deep character driven game which I recommend to all :D.

The way the story works is also very much like a table top rpg... In the way that you mostly get to make your own choices and that your choices can have lasting effects through out the games. Which is sort of neat, thought sadly it can't quite replicate a ttrpg just yet (mainly because of limitations due to it being a computer game) however its probably one of the closest games out there.

Okay, my love for the series aside... I'm happy for the release of the game on the PS3... I'll not be playing it on that platform though, I'll be users the 360 version given that I've played the other two on that console and my plot is still there.

I'm mainly happy because it gives a chance for the PS3 fanboys to go back on all that "Mass Effect is shit" stuff they've said out of pure fanboyism (you know, same things they said about Bioshock until that had its release). Though that being said, it does open up a window of opportunity for the bloody 360 fanboys to start moaning on about it not being an MS exclusive..

I'm also happy because... Well... Its a very good game and I'm happy to see others being able to experience the series regardless of console (except the Wii... Sadly, though perhaps a port... If they can get it down to a size that the Wii can handle?). Too bad about the first game, I think Bioware got screwed on the licensing on that game so its restricted to the 360... For now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here