Rumor: 3DS Details Likely On January 19

Rumor: 3DS Details Likely On January 19

Nintendo has a couple of events planned for the near future that will hopefully let us know the final release date and price of the 3DS.

News on the 3DS has been slow since Nintendo announced the handheld's Japanese release date and price back in September, but this could change in a month. Nintendo evidently has concurrent events planned that will take place around the world on January 19, 2011.

MCV recently posted that members of the European gaming press have been invited to a Nintendo event in Amsterdam on this date. Details as to what the event is for haven't been announced yet.

Similar invites have gone out to North American gaming press about an event in New York City on January 19. Nintendo has been mum about the specific North American and European release dates for the 3DS so far, so it isn't hard to guess what it could be announcing at these events.

It's not yet known if these are the only regions in which Nintendo will be announcing or showing something in January. The biggest question mark surrounding the 3DS so far has been its potential price in regions other than Japan. Nintendo is releasing the handheld at ¥25,000 in the region, which by current exchange rates equals nearly $300.

However, that doesn't mean the 3DS will be priced at its exchange rate in other regions, so we'll just have to wait and see. It's also probable that Nintendo will show off some of the 3DS's launch titles, if this event is for the 3DS, so be prepared to find out exactly what games will bug out your eyes first on the system too.

Source: MCV

I'm waiting for Konami to announce a new 2D Castlevania for it.

Then I'll have to buy the damn thing. Is it odd that only third-party games are getting me excited for this?

I don't care about shit like Kid Icarus.

Fingers crossed for a Nintendo motion controller!

It would be nice if they had something new to announce rather than just release dates.

Oh I hope that price goes down at least a little. I mean, I'll end up getting it eventually but not right away with a $300 price tag not including any games

Is it just me, or have there been a lot of "I have an announcement to make: I will be making an announcement later" type of press releases lately? Ones where they aren't announcing anything other than another announcement? Oh well, I'm really interested to hear about pricing and release dates, so here's hoping we get some more information.

KefkaCultist:
Oh I hope that price goes down at least a little. I mean, I'll end up getting it eventually but not right away with a $300 price tag not including any games

Likewise. Besides, it's silly to buy a Gameboy until, like, five years after the first model comes out and they've come out with the 3DSi XL that has finally fixed most of the problems of the original device.

megs1120:

KefkaCultist:

Likewise. Besides, it's silly to buy a Gameboy until, like, five years after the first model comes out and they've come out with the 3DSi XL that has finally fixed most of the problems of the original device.

Actually I'm usually never interested in all the newer models like the dsi and XL. I had a DS light and loved it and couldn't care less about a camera or bigger screens

dragontiers:
Is it just me, or have there been a lot of "I have an announcement to make: I will be making an announcement later" type of press releases lately? Ones where they aren't announcing anything other than another announcement? Oh well, I'm really interested to hear about pricing and release dates, so here's hoping we get some more information.

Yeah, there are a lot of those. It's getting old, really. However this isn't really Nintendo doing that. They sent out invites to press members and those press members reported it (they are the press, that's what they do).

Anyway I don't have much else to say. I look forward to learning more about the device and when I can get my hands on one, but what else is there to say right now? Hurry up and wait I guess. :p

KefkaCultist:

megs1120:

KefkaCultist:

Actually I'm usually never interested in all the newer models like the dsi and XL. I had a DS light and loved it and couldn't care less about a camera or bigger screens

Yes, but the DS Light was a revision of the original DS. It's silly to buy a Nintendo handheld when it first comes out because a better version is probably already on the way.

mjc0961:

dragontiers:

Yeah, there are a lot of those. It's getting old, really. However this isn't really Nintendo doing that. They sent out invites to press members and those press members reported it (they are the press, that's what they do).

Anyway I don't have much else to say. I look forward to learning more about the device and when I can get my hands on one, but what else is there to say right now? Hurry up and wait I guess. :p

It wouldn't bother me so much that the press was reporting on an announcement of an announcement, but they (Nintendo) don't even specify what they will be announcing, just that there will be one. For all we know, they could be announcing a new game, info about the 3DS, or even what their favorite colors are. It's just there is no info to go on.

Note: I don't blame the press for any of this, they are just working with what they are given. I just wish the company would come out and say "We will be having a press release about X on day Y." Then, at least we would know what we are looking at.

I'll most likely be getting this simply for the Star Fox 64 remake. Although it looks like Snake Eater is also getting a release as well, which seems like an odd choice, but hey, more Snake is good with me!

Just need that price a little lower though...

1:55

Still, I am looking forward to the console and its already impressive line up of games, so I any information at any time is still better than nothing.

I wonder if they're going to have playable units at PAX East this year. (Nintendo didn't have a huge presence last year, but, quite frankly, the entire expo floor paled in comparison to the west coast version.)

KefkaCultist:

Could be worse could live in europe they just take the price in dollars and stick the euro sign on it. I am kind of saving money for when it get released since i am guessing it has a 300 euro price tag without any games, and being a bit of a nintendo fanboy i want it on day 1

It's probably just for the Vitality Sensor, which we've heard nothing about in years. I kinda want to see what it can do.

Onyx Oblivion:
I'm waiting for Konami to announce a new 2D Castlevania for it.

You and me both, brother. I will honestly be upset if they try to ram yet another 3D Castlevania down our throats.

megs1120:
Yes, but the DS Light was a revision of the original DS. It's silly to buy a Nintendo handheld when it first comes out because a better version is probably already on the way.

Not necessarilly. There are reasons for buying a handheld early:

- If you buy it early, you get to play games for that handheld at least 1.5-2 years before the people who wait for a revision (although it could be longer; there is no guarantee that the 3DS will follow the trend of the GBA/DS, especially when you consider that the original Game Boy didn't receive a revision for 7 years, until the release of the Game Boy Pocket in 1996).

- There is no guarantee that the revised editions will be superior. While there certainly have been cases of revised editions that were better than the previous one in every way (GBA SP, DS Lite), there have also been editions that were very much a tradeoff and that depended on what you looked for in a handheld.

The Game Boy Micro, for example, was much more pocket-friendly compared to the SP, included a standard headphone jack (in a fit of insanity, Nintendo decided that the SP required a special adaptor in order to use headphones -_-) and came with a backlit screen as standard (the SP+ with a backlit screen wasn't released everywhere) , but sacrificed the GB/GBC backwards compatibility, the larger screen size and standard link cable (the Micro required a special cable for things like multiplayer). The DSi is another example of a "tradeoff" revision, when compared to the DS/DS Lite. It included additional utility features (such as the camera) and online capabilities, but sacrificed the GBA backwards compatibiliity and a significant chunk of the battery life.

Simply put, there is no way to tell in advance if the revised editions will really have the improvements a certain person is looking for. Plus, as was the case with the DSi/DSi XL, the revised models might actually end up being more expensive at launch compared to the previous models. In such a case, you might as well buy the very first one, especially since...

- If a superior model does come up, you can always sell your original 3DS and then purchase the new one.

I am not saying that there isn't a logic behind waiting for a revised model, especially if you are in no rush to get one. But I think there are good reasons for getting one early on as well.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.