Director Blake Edwards Dies at 88

Director Blake Edwards Dies at 88

Director Blake Edwards, master of farce and the man behind the Pink Panther films, died from complications from pneumonia.

Director Blake Edwards had been hospitalized in Santa Monica, California for the past ten days, but finally succumbed to complications of pneumonia. He was 88 years old, and left behind a legacy of excellence in film.

Edwards began his career as an actor, then wrote screenplays before hitting his stride as a director. His strength was in slapstick, but some of his dramatic work is just as highly regarded. Some of his most notable films include Breakfast at Tiffany's, Blind Date, Skin Deep, The Man Who Loved Women, and Days of Wine and Roses, in addition to eight Pink Panther films.

His wife of 42 years, Julie Andrews (The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins), was by his side when he passed away. Edwards directed her in 10, S.O.B., and Victor/Victoria, which you should see if you haven't.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

pneumonia strikes again. first nielson, now blake.

bad year for comedians huh?

I have to watch the Pink Panther Movies again, it'll be my salute to a fantastic movie series...just not those awful ones with that other guy.

I saw it on the news just over an hour ago. It's a shame. I loved the Pink panther as a kid. RIP.

so sad, the man was a comedic genius! T_T

Awww man, I loved Blake Edwards movies, ah well, the man was 88, sad to see him go but hardly unexpected.

Soviet Heavy:

I think you mean James Brown

Too many people are dying of Pneumonia, it's like every time I read about a celebrity dying, it's always because of pneumonia

Quiet Stranger:

Soviet Heavy:

I think you mean James Brown

Too many people are dying of Pneumonia, it's like every time I read about a celebrity dying, it's always because of pneumonia

Jame Brown died like 2 years ago. Leslie Nielson died a few weeks ago

I think this scene alone says it all(NSFW):

RIP Blake, you have given the world more than it could ever ask for.

Must... resist... making... Watchmen... joke...

Seriously, though, condolences to the family.

Snotnarok:
I have to watch the Pink Panther Movies again, it'll be my salute to a fantastic movie series...just not those awful ones with that other guy.

Agreed!

My favorite is "Trail of the pink panther" The last one with Peter Sellers.

My favorite scene is "3 Thousand pounds of JELLO?!"

I just watched S.O.B. a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. Were it not for the goofy ending, I would have given it a perfect score. RIP Mr. Edwards.

Are they sure it was pneumonia, and not delayed heartbreak from that awful Steve Martin vehicle?

Aw =(

The Pink Panther films are comedy gold (at least the Sellers ones are).

The fight scenes with Kato are brilliant, and the subtle humour throughout them is also top notch.

A sad day indeed.

Another portion of my childhood dies away.

Well, that's highly not cool. Positive energy and hugs to his family.

I grew up watching the Pink Panther films and they remain one of my most favourite film series.
R.I.P :(

Rest in Peace, Blake. You left a fine legacy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here