Force Unleashed 2 DLC Features Disturbing Wookie Death

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Heh. I kind of enjoyed it to be honest. The problems were the glitches (clunky AT-ST movement, the Chewie-removal was poorly animated, the tediously drawn out fight (thank you skip), and I the short finale for all of that anti-exhilarating fight. I never played FU I or FU II, but from the looks of things, the asinine nature of this "Starkiller's" strength is rather distracting. I mean, damn, throw that guy in a room and everyone's dead because he coughed. It looked like if a Sith-Neo/Ninja cross-over happened upon the Star Wars universe and said "Screw it. I'm going to town on everybody."

I would also like to add that, in my opinion, the concept was fine, but the execution (no pun intended) suffered (zing!) because of how anti-climactic the resolution of the battled turned out. A forced game-lengthening waste of time slapping a mech's legs leading to the demise of two reknowned characters should have been more than a 15 second *slap/kill your BFF/lolstab* moment.

And the graphics were indeed quite poor...

megs1120:

OctalLord:

megs1120:
Can't Starkiller pull Star Destroyers out of the sky? Why did it take so long for him to take down an AT-ST?

Ah, thanks. I'm not very familiar with the series, mostly, I just knew that Starkiller does something to a Star Destroyer, using the force.

Are all of the boss battles that padded for time?

I hope I'm not sounding too negative, this is a really neat concept for DLC.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. The fight with Luke in the first DLC didn't take too long and was quite fun.

But alot of the boss fights in the second game are padded.

Luckily not all the fights with a AT-ST are padded like that. In fact in the normal SP for TFUnleashed II you can just go "Force Fury" and crush the AT-ST like a toy. Then throw it at some nearby stormtroopers for bonus points.

Although the fight with the Gorog in the main storyline lasts way to long and suffers for it.(Youtube that if you want to see it.)

Edit: Actually, this game really is padded beyond belief. and it's STILL ridiculously short.

many will hate me for this but...im a SW fan and i ALWAYS wanted to do that! ALWAYS! finally got what was coming to them! *smerk*

samaugsch:
Here's something I want to ask all of you Star Wars nerds: What if instead of Starkiller, Darth Vader showed up? How would the fight have turned out then? Would they have given Vader a run for his money or would he have killed them just as easily as Starkiller did?

Vader would have won, easily. You just have to look at the Cloud City scene in The Empire Strikes Back to see how one-sided a Han vs Vader fight would be. A better question might be: would fans have a more positive reaction to these DLCs if it was Vader instead of Starkiller.

Personally I'd say yes. Vader is an established character, whereas Starkiller is... well I found the first TFU quite engaging, but Starkiller has just become more and more dislikeable and now he's just Kratos with a lightsabre. As much as I like Kratos, and at the risk of sounding like someone who'd put Jedi under religion on a census form, that's not what the Star Wars universe should be about. Anger, hatred and vengeance are meant to be bad things, and tossing in an ending where our hero shows restraint and mercy doesn't really ring true after he's spent the entire game slaughtering everything in sight in pursuit of his personal vendetta.

So it's no wonder that there's a negative reaction when this ghastly character - even a what if version - is seen cutting a swathe through the much loved characters of the original trilogy with all the superficial showiness of the prequel trilogy, plus added GoW style sadism.

Presumably the next DLC will feature a Dagobah level in which Starkiller will stomp Yoda into the mud in an overly long QTE. That seems to be all they have left to do really.

Sixcess:

samaugsch:
Here's something I want to ask all of you Star Wars nerds: What if instead of Starkiller, Darth Vader showed up? How would the fight have turned out then? Would they have given Vader a run for his money or would he have killed them just as easily as Starkiller did?

Vader would have won, easily. You just have to look at the Cloud City scene in The Empire Strikes Back to see how one-sided a Han vs Vader fight would be. A better question might be: would fans have a more positive reaction to these DLCs if it was Vader instead of Starkiller.

I figured as such. Having an unpopular obscure character kill off popular well-known characters never goes well with the fans. >_>

Sixcess:

samaugsch:

Personally I'd say yes. Vader is an established character, whereas Starkiller is... well I found the first TFU quite engaging, but Starkiller has just become more and more dislikeable and now he's just Kratos with a lightsabre. As much as I like Kratos, and at the risk of sounding like someone who'd put Jedi under religion on a census form, that's not what the Star Wars universe should be about. Anger, hatred and vengeance are meant to be bad things, and tossing in an ending where our hero shows restraint and mercy doesn't really ring true after he's spent the entire game slaughtering everything in sight in pursuit of his personal vendetta.

So it's no wonder that there's a negative reaction when this ghastly character - even a what if version - is seen cutting a swathe through the much loved characters of the original trilogy with all the superficial showiness of the prequel trilogy, plus added GoW style sadism.

Presumably the next DLC will feature a Dagobah level in which Starkiller will stomp Yoda into the mud in an overly long QTE. That seems to be all they have left to do really.

I must say that you made an apt comparison; Starkiller sounds as though he has taken on that infamous "Like God of War" stamp in the back of his little Sith mind. Now that you mention it, Kratos is an accurate model that Starkiller seems to follow through that video, but without the style and panache. And given the nature specifically of The Return of the Jedi as a film, tossing in a GoW-inspired (and even still, a poor imitation at that!), otherwise potentially interesting event that is in the end hindered by the game's flaws and generally being out of touch. From what I've seen and heard about this FU anti-hero, he seems like the Sith/Saiyan who could have made the entire series a 1 hour episode of all original characters being force-massacred.

Regardless of the lacking realization of this alternate story, I believe that in capable hands with a smoother and more compatible style for Star Wars, that could have been not only an epic battle (not a segment to forcefully lengthen the game), but an impressive cinematic that would invoke positivity towards creative strides.

In short: Good alternate story idea that is entertaining; Bad execution that really comes off as out of place given the dichotomy between the source material and Agent Smith.

shame they never keot the sith assassin thing from the first games DLC, i liked knocking luke around in them

and this shows the pitiful geek lvl the escapist actually encompasses (don't shout I've made a thread about differences between gamers nerds and geeks etc before round the time yahtzee said gamers don't exist whilst virtually yes they do but nvm that I know you're gonna spew hate anyway)

EDIT :

PS People P FRIKKIN S The Force Unleashed allways has been about Starkiller murdering every possible jedi and jedi ally in his way

If it had notbeen about this the good ending in The Force Unleashed 1 would have been an actual ending

I hated that there was a sequel to that game as that game was done and over with a terrible ending that was made to please you buggers who didn't want them messing up the entire story and just got a reason why there weren't any jedi anymore

You guys never wondered about that?

anyway furthermore the DLC like this seems to have been thrown in to be at leisure for people like me who liked TFU 1

You get to kill ewoks in star wars battlefield two, though they ARE one of the most powerful groups to play as, so I guess that's probably supposed to be ironic...

I think the issue is that it is a clash between the movies and the games. The developers have made a character that they are particullary fond of, and wish to use established characters to show how awesome their character is. The problem with that is that it will always feel artificial and forced, or, in worst case scenarios, like bad fan fiction.

Take away the star wars factor, imagine an Aliens game where the developers add a faceless drone who is so powerful that it kills riply without breaking a sweat. Does that not cheapen the conflict of the film?

JourneyThroughHell:

Jack and Calumon:

Take your favourite franchise, series, film, game or TV show. Now go read a fanfic in which they all have sex with each other, even if they had no emotions or didn't even meet. Even read a Slash-Fic, a fiction where two characters meet in other franchises and then have sex, anything.

Okay, I'm not going to look for a fanfic where Ghost and McTavish get it on, thank you very much.

However, with that said, the only reason this very... jarringly out of character. And sometimes very in-detail, and, therefore, horrifying.

Nothing like that here. Han Solo and Chewie actually can die, that's one. They don't get horrifically murdered in bloody detail or torn to shreds, that's two.

Really, is this scene going to, in any way, change your perception of the characters? Of course, not. In fact, it's a different timeline - they might as well not be themselves. I don't see how this is supposed to matter one bit, even if you will remember the situation.

If it evokes sadness, they succeeded. If you believe they should've given the characters a far more deserving send-off even in this pseudo-side story, that's absolutely fine. However, this in no way makes it "the biggest, dirtiest and stupidest bomb".

Jack and Calumon:

Calumon: Arguing makes me sad... : (

Yeah. Not particularly fond of it, too. Except when it's about politics.

With that said, I think it's unfair that LucasArts are being reprimanded for getting somewhat creative because seeing familiar characters get killed in some fanfic-equivealent upsets them.

P.S. No, I'm not going to look for the MW2 slash fics. However, I would be interested to know if those actually existed.

Not going to check that. NSFS (not safe for soul).

Bless me father for I am about to sin.
Enjoy your GhostXMactavish

I guess Han really did shoot first aaahahaha!

Tom Goldman:
In a later segment, Starkiller even takes out Leia. I like that LucasArts was willing to take such extreme measures with popular Star Wars characters, but these scenes are messed up. Watching Chewbacca die is like seeing an old friend and pet get killed at the same time.>

These scenes reek of god of war style childishness. The writer is doing his playground best to say "Nuh-uh! Not only is my character the most badassest guy that... that there ever was but he could totally kill like all those... a whole bunch of the other guys! And stuff. BANG BANG BANG" I frankly, hate that.

RobCoxxy:
Holy fuck, was that depressing.

That's pretty much how I felt. Though I also feel like this game finally did something with the story to impress me. Take us somewhere we would never expect.

RobCoxxy:
Holy fuck, was that depressing.

That's pretty much how I felt. Though I also feel like this game finally did something with the story to impress me. Take us somewhere we would never expect.

Muhahahah!
Not so smug now, are you, Solo?

Seriously, even though the prequel trilogy stinks to high heaven, at least it showed what bad ass power Sith and Jedi can have. No way normal characters stand a chance agains them.
So it's realistic in that sense.

Once again, Gary Stukiller has struck once again.

I only played the first game's first two levels and could not connect with any of the characters(even Vader) due to the word "ret-con" being played in my mind continuously. This just proves how much I can take from these two games.

What kind of sadistic nerds are funding this cruel game?
I'll never play this cash-milking garbage.

The Old Republic on the other hand..

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or