European Parliament Member Calls for Mafia 2 Ban

Pages 1 2 NEXT

European Parliament Member Calls for Mafia 2 Ban

European Parliamentarian Soni Alfano is calling for a ban on Mafia 2, saying it trivializes the violence and murder carried out by the real-life Cosa Nostra.

Alfano's father, Sicilian journalist Beppe Alfano, was murdered by the Mafia in 1993, an act that led her to become an advocate for people affected by Mafia violence and eventually the president of Familiari Vittime di Mafia, Italy's association for the families of Mafia victims. As part of her ongoing effort to speak out against organized crime, she's now using her position in the European Parliament to call for a sweeping ban on Take-Two's action-adventure game Mafia 2.

"It really, really hurts," she said in an interview with Bloomberg. "We can't allow this to happen, our wounds are still too fresh."

Mafia 2 wasn't the biggest hit of the year for publisher Take-Two but its relatively strong performance did contribute to a fiscal year profit of $42.5 million, quite a turnaround from its previous year loss of $140 million. But even as an M-rated title, the message it delivers to players is one that Alfano finds deeply objectionable.

"These games transform the Mafia, a reality of death and destruction, into a thrilling and hands-on virtual pastime," she said. "Even if momentarily, players identify with brutal killers and for us who have experienced violence firsthand, it's appalling."

Alfano isn't alone in her criticism of the game; prior to the game's release, Italian American organization Unico National accused it of being "a pile of racist nonsense" that will "indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime."

via: Edge Online

Bit late, isn't she? If it were such a huge deal to me, I'd have pounced on it right away.

It's funny how games simulataneously manage to be meaningless, mind-numbing entertainment but also vicious tirades against everyone with their hidden messages.

I want someone to make her play the game before letting her comment.

Anyone who knows anything about the European Parliment knows how ridiculous this sounds. It is literaly a non-story.

Well then don't play the game if it bothers you.

It's not like you're forced to, and the title and occasional commercial can't be too bad, can it? And everyone who would have wanted to buy would have bought it by now, it's been out for forever.

I can understand Mrs. Alfano's dislike of the game but Unico National needs to grow the fuck up.
News Flash:THE MAFIA EXISTED AND IT WAS (AND STILL IS) AN ITALIAN AMERICAN CRIMINAL ORGANISATION(S). GET OVER IT!

Besides if you ban this game now, all those impressionable little kids will just acquire the game illegally. Oh it would be such sweet irony if the mafia started importing this game and selling it on the black market X3

I can understand her feeling somewhat offended by it.

However, that is not anywhere near enough to BAN a game.

Then don't play the fuckin game! What's the matter with people? Why do they feel the need to tell other what to do with their free time? Fuck this bitch! Why don't you try to ban movies about the mafia?! Damn, this is so irritating. All these people see is a title and video game and they immediately jump to conclusions. Why can't for once someone actually play the game before they try to ban it?!

manythings:

If she plays it and finds out how bad it is she'll want to ban it even more.

ImprovizoR:
Then don't play the fuckin game! What's the matter with people? Why do they feel the need to tell other what to do with their free time? Fuck this bitch! Why don't you try to ban movies about the mafia?! Damn, this is so irritating. All these people see is a title and video game and they immediately jump to conclusions. Why can't for once someone actually play the game before they try to ban it?!

But, she's right... you play a Mafioso, and I dare you to tell me that it isn't thrilling.

Still, not worth banning. Not unless you're going to ban every war game evar in the process.

The Mafia game pretty much uses the "crime doesn't pay" line. Look at Zero Punctuation. I have played it is as well. The game does not promote the mafia as a good thing I will tell you that much.

Crimsane:
Bit late, isn't she? If it were such a huge deal to me, I'd have pounced on it right away.

WAY TOO LATE. The EU haven't even done a sweeping ban on anything, let alone a game that has more in common with films.

Nothing will come of this.

Crimsane:

You're doing it wrong. The trick is to wait until something is massively successful and has earned large sums of money.

Then sue exorbitantly for any petty grievances.

She hits on a game yet when a movie about the Mafia is released she doesn't give a shit? ... Sigh.

"indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime."

Movie's and T.V did that way before video games did.

Crimsane:

Yes. Take-Two got what they needed already. She whines too much in my opinion. People bitching and trying to ban an experience for every people because of their own selfish feelings on several matters.

I have respect for them banding up but that is gone when they try to ban shit, especially in Europe. I hope she loses the case.

I can see her point, it's not completely invalid, romanticizing crime is never good. However I do think she's overreacting, it's been done for ages and in works that are far more popular than Mafia II will ever be. It's probably another one of those cases where it gets recognized because its a video game, it's still a pretty young medium so it's understandable that people react to it in that way, but hopefully we'll see less of it as time passes.

Well, you heard her, time to ban The Godfather movie and the Sopranos...oh wait...

Le Tueur:

manythings:

If she plays it and finds out how bad it is she'll want to ban it even more.

Well I can't speak for the game but I prefer that people know what they are talking about BEFORE they talk about it.

manythings:
It's funny how games simulataneously manage to be meaningless, mind-numbing entertainment but also vicious tirades against everyone with their hidden messages.

Agreed. It's either "they are pointless" or "they are so meaningful that they will ruin the people who play them by making them empathize with criminals!"

And really, if this game is so bad we'd better sweep up all mafia related stuff just in case. Here, take my copy of The Godfather, we wouldn't want me to get too attached to any of those characters and take pity on the mob now would we?

Her father was murdered....
And that is really a terrible, terrible thing. Can we stop yelling, "Overreacting bitch!" and look at her perspective for a second? I mean, if there was true tragedy in your life, then a game comes out that romanticizes the same things that cause it, you'd be upset, too.
I mean, imagine if someone you loved was emotionally destroyed by sexual abuse, and then Rapelay became a huge hit, with people finding such acts a source of mild amusement?

I'm not trying to justify attempted censorship here, I'm just pointing out that when terrible things happen, nothing makes sense, and you just try your hardest to try to make something right.

Did they even play the game before forming their opinion?

So we should ban the Godfather book and films as well then?

Erana:
Her father was murdered....
And that is really a terrible, terrible thing. Can we stop yelling, "Overreacting bitch!" and look at her perspective for a second? I mean, if there was true tragedy in your life, then a game comes out that romanticizes the same things that cause it, you'd be upset, too.
I mean, imagine if someone you loved was emotionally destroyed by sexual abuse, and then Rapelay became a huge hit, with people finding such acts a source of mild amusement?

I'm not trying to justify attempted censorship here, I'm just pointing out that when terrible things happen, nothing makes sense, and you just try your hardest to try to make something right.

I agree with this guy, just about everyone on the thread seems to have skipped the part where it says the her father was MURDERED by the mafia, and shes not just trying to get it banned for herself, but for everyone whos life has been affected by organized crime

Ok, Appalling. I can understand that.

How is that a justification for a ban? What about freedom of expression? I find most modern art appalling, should Europe AGAIN go down this path of censorship of expression, have we all forgotten the LAST time Europe went that route?

I too fins Mafia 2 pretty crappy but it is not obscene, no one has any right to censor works for sensitivity or political reasons.

how long ago did this game come out? august? that is forever in video-game-land

Mackheath:

Oh no, because it is an obvious cliché to censor books and film, they couldn't get away with it because journalist would instantly pick up on that and spin it as "oooh censorship is bad".

But video games are "trivial" apparently. They aren't played much by those in positions of power and influence, so they are a soft target.

Plus they have no relevance to journalism. If you can censor books then that's a step closer to censoring newspapers.

No! Your wounds are still too fresh.

Chief565:
"indoctrinate a new generation into directly associating Italians and Italian-Americans with violent, murderous organized crime."

Movie's and T.V did that way before video games did.

To further emphasis the point:

contrasted with

Yet as per fucking usual, video games are somehow "the problem" here.

Mario is THE ICONIC video game character, an Italian plumber, hard working, helpful, joyful, loved by children and adults alike the world over. I suppose that's gratitude for you.

ImprovizoR:

oh you don't get it it's all about her believing little johnny of 14 will play it and think that the maffia is an organization that rules peoples life were they steal and murder ruthlessly and how that is for sure not how we do it in the real worl

in fact with her ban this woman is supporting the maffia by saying "Heck this show's they're terrible and you can kill thousands and mug for millions well that's not true"

It trivialises the violence of the Cosa Nostra in a way that books, films and pretty much every other form of media wouldn't?

:/

Treblaine:

Mackheath:

Oh no, because it is an obvious cliché to censor books and film, they couldn't get away with it because journalist would instantly pick up on that and spin it as "oooh censorship is bad".

But video games are "trivial" apparently. They aren't played much by those in positions of power and influence, so they are a soft target.

Plus they have no relevance to journalism. If you can censor books then that's a step closer to censoring newspapers.

Buuuuuuuuut, they are not sotrivial because they can still cause minors to sympatize with fictional characters inspired by real-life murderers and criminals....

Wait for it.... Wait for it...

Nope, the realization of hypocrisy will never strike these types of people. We can play this same sort of thinking with anything, and yet, it is always the snuffed at video games that become the greatest threat. And yet movies that have become downright pervasive in our society like Saw depicting torture are by no means equally dangerous? What if one person sympathizes with Jigsaw and thinks about committing physical and psychological torture on another human being? Censorship is censorship is censorshit.

By no means is this woman's personal hurt regarding the Mafia to be discounted, but should society ban everything that offends a group of people? By the time we're through the checklist, baby seals and power cords won't even be "safe" anymore. It is easy enough to say that Mafia II in this case is glorifying the real life Mafia, but is she really just asserting a baseless accusation due to her own bias, no matter how legitimate it may be? I've never seen the Godfather part III; is it right to say that it is criminal propaganda when it could very well end up being a repeating message overall against the Mafia?!?

Gods, I wish people would spend more of their lives minding their own freaking business and less of it trying to tell others what they can and cannot do. You don't like the game, lady? Don't play it!

Soo... she's up for re-election and looking for campaign ammunition?

I would be sad if mafia 2 was actually good, but its kind of late to call for a ban of a game. Its just really sad that games are huge targets for people who want to get elected.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here