Nintendo Fan Sends Smash Bros Back in Time

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo Fan Sends Smash Bros Back in Time

Smash Bros. is still fun even in four color monochrome.

Even in Super Smash Bros.' debut on the N64, it was colorful and full of 3D graphics. If you find it bothersome that the series has only been updated in later entries such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Dan Fornace has the perfect Smash Bros. game for you.

Fornace, with the help of audio engineer Brendan Becker, has de-made Smash Bros. into Super Smash Land, a title that plays just like it would on the Game Boy. There's no actual cartridge because it's played through a PC, but just look at it: That's a Game Boy game.

What's that? This couldn't be an actual game you say? It's just some visual wizardry released to YouTube? Not so. Fornace has released a Super Smash Land demo already, and you can get it right here.

It only features 2 characters so far, and just 3 stages, but this is the Game Boy here so don't expect the same features as Brawl. Currently, players can battle it out as Mario and Kirby, but Fornace plans to add Link and Pikachu (both characters found on the Game Boy) and 2 secret characters, one of which that has never been in Smash Bros. before, but is a Nintendo character. Fornace also wants to add 10 total stages, and an Endless Mode with an an online leaderboard.

Super Smash Land takes its name from Mario's original Game Boy entry, Super Mario Land. Unlike the strange changes seen in Super Mario Land, Super Smash Land is a pretty much spot on Game Boy translation. So why would anyone de-make a game into one with inferior graphics and gameplay? Duh, because it's cool. Super Smash Land is a fan project, so the final version will be out when it's out.

Source: PikiGeek, via GoNintendo

Why didn't this come out when I was a kid? I would have be so pro at it. I look forward to playing this game.

Allow me to answer this with a picture.

Glee. I am filled with glee. And not the television show, the feeling, dude!

Anyone running a book on when he receives his 'cease and desist'?

And then he received a C+D. *closes story-book*

Tom Goldman:

Hmm.. not possible. It's either "4 colours" or "4 shade monochrome" as as soon as it's more than 1 colour, it's not monochromatic anymore. :)

Cool idea though and if only something like this had come out back in the days of the original GB.

Wow... Thats awesome. Seriously downlaoding the demo.

That is one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life.

I sat there for about three minutes thinking "This would've made so much [Read: Even more] money." Think of the link cable battles that never were...

Oh how I wish that this existed when I still had my gameboy. It would have allowed me to use my link cables for more than just trading pokemon.

mr_rubino:
And then he received a C+D. *closes story-book*

There you go. Nintendo does not fuck around with what they see as copyright infringement.

Awesome.. Amazing... A+... Asstastic? (ran out of A words..)

I have a date today, this excited me more XD (ok not really but it is pretty dammed close)

well its cool and all

but the 2D SNES version of OOT was cooler...

Well played. I always thought a handheld version would work well....

Fucking awesome. Though wont Nintendo use the legal hammer on their asses?

I sure hope they wont.

Looks a bit fast/high performance for the original GameBoy. Damn good homage though nonetheless.

I played a similar game on the internet, called super smash flash. It had more gameboy advanced style graphics, though.

Downloaded the demo off the site link, McAfee flagged it as a trojan and deleted it. :(

That game looks tops. I can't wait to see it finished.

Nintendo, look at this. This is what we all want. Hire this man, and make one for god's sake this would be the best handheld game ever.

Last saturday I was playing Scott Pilgrim with some friends and one of them said "We spent the last 20 years trying to get bigger and prettier games and now that we're here, we all suddenly want to go back to what it was back then". I think the average gamer is reaching a rather deppressing time of his life: the nostalgic old coot period.

reaching ? ive been there at least 20 years...

but then thats why they invented emulators

Escapist, please, PLEASE keep us updated on this! We must know when all of the characters have been added!

This is rather impressive for the Game Boy I must say.
Just look at the animated background and the amount of details.
Soo many games doesn't even come near that on the Game Boy.

I am as impressed as I am horrified.

See Nintendo? Smash Bros. could be made like a portable game.
SO GET IT ON THE 3DS!

How long until Nintendo comes and beats this down?

Onyx Oblivion:
How long until Nintendo comes and beats this down?

now its publicised not long if past form is anything to go by

So, how long until he gets the cease and desist? I'd say within a month. I don't get why these fan projects always show off when they don't have much done. At least finish it before you say anything, because by the time they find it, the finished product will be all over the place and then it doesn't matter if you have to take it down from one site. And they can't stop you from working because it's done.

StriderShinryu:

Tom Goldman:

Hmm.. not possible. It's either "4 colours" or "4 shade monochrome" as as soon as it's more than 1 colour, it's not monochromatic anymore. :)

Also Smash Bros isn't fun so it can't still be fun if it's yet to start being fun. :p

is that some 8-bit 'Gourmet Race' I hear? :D

mjc0961:
So, how long until he gets the cease and desist? I'd say within a month. I don't get why these fan projects always show off when they don't have much done. At least finish it before you say anything, because by the time they find it, the finished product will be all over the place and then it doesn't matter if you have to take it down from one site. And they can't stop you from working because it's done.

Worked for the Chrono Trigger fan-thing. Ho-ho, I still get a good laugh when I remember that. What was that, like 5 years in development and it got C-and-D'd like a few months before release because Square wanted to put out their latest lazy port? That'll learn ya to keep it to yourself next time.

I wonder who the secret character that's never been in a smash game but is still a Nintendo character is. I can't even think of any....none that would make a sense anyway.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.