Valve Celebrates the Miracle of Australian Christmas

Valve Celebrates the Miracle of Australian Christmas

It's Australian Christmas for the Team Fortress 2 gang, which means hollowed-out reindeer skulls, indentured servitude for naughty children and a trip back to the tenth century for a brawl in a medieval castle.

Christmas is coming and that means old Nick Crowder is too. He knows if you've been naughty or nice, and if you've been naughty you can expect to be hauled off to the South Pole, where you'll spend the next year making and wrapping toys for Nick. After he's done unwrapping them all, he'll put the duplicates up for sale online, where you can buy them dirt cheap. And that, my friends, is Australian Christmas.

But wait! There's more! There are special Festive Crates that can only be opened with a special Festive Key! And how about the new Medieval Mode, an old-tymey Controlle Pointe map in which players "gette it onne!" In a Terminator-esque twist, the TF2 team couldn't bring their weapons with them through the magic-powered time vortex (clothes, fortunately, were able to make the journey), so this battle is all melee, all the time!

Valve is doing its part to encourage the fine holiday tradition of giving them money with the addition of a bunch of new hats in the in-game store, and a new donation system for community map makers is also up and running, which I think we can all agree is pretty damn cool. Interested? Of course you are, so head on over to teamfortress.com to read more about the miracle of Australian Christmas!

via: Joystiq

The update's great; it's nice to see the Fancy vs. Nasty stuff as actual items, and I can say from firsthand experience that the Medic's crossbow is awesome.

The plague doctor beak mask isn't half-bad either.

wow TF2 has changed....................

Pity they released it after I hit my drop cap though.

I want my new weapons now!

ForgottenPr0digy:

Yep, and now you can beat people to death with fish, garden rakes, and fists of steel.

Also, the chat filter on the Medieval map. It is glorious.

Also, its not all melee, Medics can use the crossbow and sniper can still use their huntsmen. Or "lucksmen" if your feeling clever.

Wait... didn't valve spend 10 years making the tf2 art style? What happened?

subject_87:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Yep, and now you can beat people to death with fish, garden rakes, and fists of steel.

And frying pans. Dont forget frying pans.

HerbertTheHamster:
Wait... didn't valve spend 10 years making the tf2 art style? What happened?

It's still there, just medieval. And the word filter is indeed glorious, sirrah.

You could, of course, join this little group.

I don't play TF2, tried a few times but I kinda suck at it so I moved on to other games. That being said I think it's got to be my favorite game I don't play because of all the wonderful extras they put out on a regular basis for the public to enjoy. The tag line for this one alone gets me laughing.

"Comb your mustache and hollow out a reindeer skull, it's...AUSTRALIAN CHRISTMAS!"

If it's an Australian Christmas Who's gonna make the gravy now? I bet it won't taste the same,
Just add flour, salt, a little red wine and don't forget a dollop of tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang...

I love the new game mode, it's the best Christmas present Valve gave out. I've never had so much fun chatting while fighting on a map before.

Stop procrasting Valve. Half Life is the straw that broke the camels back, I'm all for Portal 2, Portal was my favourite game of all time. At least Portal had some closure at the end. Unlike Vance getting killed and we haven't heard piddle from episode 3.

Valagetti:
Stop procrasting Valve. Half Life is the straw that broke the camels back, I'm all for Portal 2, Portal was my favourite game of all time. At least Portal had some closure at the end. Unlike Vance getting killed and we haven't heard piddle from episode 3.

Except valve has a small team working on team-fortress 2, and half the new items and maps are made by users, not valve themselves. You may want to read up on what exactly the development of tf2 is about nowadays.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Yeah, they turned it into a cash cow. Honestly, I don't like it anymore.

Wow! The research gone into this is uncanny. It's just like the experience all Australians enjoy during the festive season! If only my brother was here to enjoy it with us. Alas, he was taken on December the 18th only three short years ago...

Still, new hats! WOOOOO!

Valagetti:

Too bad some of us really don't care about episode 3 at all. Hell I want more stuff for TF2, L4D, Portal, Counter-Strike etc. instead of half life.

Our server group used to do something like this on the Red Castle custom map. No guns, all melee.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here