Viewsonic: Horribly Buggy Tablet Isn't Our Fault

Viewsonic: Horribly Buggy Tablet Isn't Our Fault

According to Viewsonic, there's nothing wrong with its G Tablet; you're just having a "user experience issue."

People have been wary of the Viewsonic G Tablet ever since this weekend, when Staples announced that it wasn't selling the device any longer because of a manufacturing defect. Viewsonic, naturally, isn't happy about this, so the company has announced that there is no defect with the G Tablet; instead, people are unhappy with it because of a "user experience issue."

Viewsonic has issued an official response to G Tablet's poor reception (an alarming number of customers have been returning it), and it sounds like the company is trying to just spin a bad situation. Adam Hanin, Viewsonic's VP of Marketing, told Engadget that "We believe it is the user experience that caused all the returns, and we are taking important steps forward with the G Tablet."

The device, which is preloaded with Tap Android, is apparently pretty sluggish and is experiencing even more problems thanks to a buggy and slow Flash player. While a "manufacturing defect" makes it sound like the Tablet is irreparably inoperable due to hardware problems, this "user experience" label makes it sound like the problem is on the users' end.

While spin is a normal part of the marketing process, this seems pretty ridiculous. This is, honestly, a problem on the manufacturers' end. If the product was bug-ridden enough to prompt all of these returns and lackluster reviews, then Viewsonic has no right to lay the blame at anyone else's feet.

Source: Engadget via Geek

I think manufacturing defect sounds better since if its a user experience problem that means youve just made a piece of shit that no one can figure out, but if there is a defect it can be fixed

Ah, they're taking the Sony route for customer service: "Nothing is wrong with the device, you are just stupid!"

"The problem isn't that our tablet is defective. The problem is that our users aren't having a good experience with our defective tablet."

LoL, it can't be the hardware, it's because of all the users and their limited experience? Good luck getting that one past the consumer. I'm waiting for some comments to say Viewsonic is correct. I wouldn't mind hearing what some users have to say about it.

And I thought Apple's "You're Holding It Wrong" excuse was terrible. What next? Are they going to tell us about "defective users"? "Our product is fine; the issue is that all of our customers are disgusting meat sacks instead of clean, perfect machines."

Well thats what they get for trying to jump on the Ipad band wagon.

The problem is not that the tablet is defective or poorly designed. The problem is that you are all too stupid work it

Way to stay classy Viewsonic. Although, could they be trying to say that it is the software/user interface that is the problem and not the hardware in of itself? That sounds more reasonable.

Citrus Insanity:
"The problem isn't that our tablet is defective. The problem is that our users aren't having a good experience with our defective tablet."

Great way of putting it.

"The problem isn't that the Hindenburg exploded. The problem is that the riders didn't have a good experience falling while surrounded in flames."

vansau:
Snip

What are they saying is the "consumers fault" after only twp days, that they are using the tablets for catapult ammo against sharks?

I'm not positive, as this is the first I've read about this product, but I think the phrase "user experience issue" may be misinterpreted here.

A User Experience Designer (or UX Designer) is in charge of not only the UI design, but the flows and process in which a user interacts with the program. They figure out how many steps it takes to complete an action and how the interface reacts to the user (hovers, clicks, text fields, etc). It sounds to me like they are saying it's an issue with the way the software was designed to be interacted with, not an issue with how people are interacting with the software.

Forktongue:
I'm not positive, as this is the first I've read about this product, but I think the phrase "user experience issue" may be misinterpreted here.

A User Experience Designer (or UX Designer) is in charge of not only the UI design, but the flows and process in which a user interacts with the program. They figure out how many steps it takes to complete an action and how the interface reacts to the user (hovers, clicks, text fields, etc). It sounds to me like they are saying it's an issue with the way the software was designed to be interacted with, not an issue with how people are interacting with the software.

The user reviews linked in the articles mostly say the hardware is decent to good but the software is bad, which adds strength to your interpretation.

the average consumer isn't going to know that, to them it will sound like another company saying "we've done nothing wrong, you're just to stupid to understand our products and point of view"

consumers don't like it when the feel belittled and they tend to vote with their wallets when that happens

This tablet stands out from the crowd by offering a counter-culture experience that moves away from the more traditional workings of tablet computers, by operating on a different, more complex level. We understand that some users may not grasp this, and may in fact perceive our product to be fucked up beyond all recognition, but we argue that they are not putting in the required effort, and as such, are missing out on a wonderful, glorious, enlightening, fantasticulating experience.

Of course the tablet is not buggy! It is perfect! You are just too simple to figure out the design!

Hope they go bankrupt. Seriously.

Worgen:
I think manufacturing defect sounds better since if its a user experience problem that means youve just made a piece of shit that no one can figure out, but if there is a defect it can be fixed

True.

At least they're being honest then, right?

Wow, I'd hate to be playing Epic Mickey on that thing. There'd probably be enough "user fault" going on there to destroy the space time continuum.

I have been a Viewsonic customer for years & I can tell all of you that they build quality products. I also dabble with Linux on high perf. workstations and lowly netbooks. I've also compiled Android to load onto a netbook that runs both Linux & Windows XP perfectly. Android ran crappy on that machine. Android runs crappy on my HTC Eris. Flash runs crappy in Linux so I can only imagine it runs crappy in Android. All that said, these OS's are barely ready for the masses but I still support them & want them to succeed so that Microsoft and Apple will have some open source competition. As for the gTablet, I just bought one because other reviewers have said its faster than the iPad. So I'll post back here after Christmas and let this thread know.

Well no shit there crap. Cramming all that software in something that small and also its a new medium, so its going to be buggy. I really don't see the appeal in it. Laptops are not redundant. Wait another 5 years until there running more smoother.

DaxStrife:
Ah, they're taking the Sony route for customer service: "Nothing is wrong with the device, you are just stupid!"

I know, right? I love that quote

"The problem is with society in general"

No Sony, the problem isn't that society won't transform itself into one that will like your product you narcissistic fuck, the problem is that you actually think it's supposed to.

But yeah, total bullshit, if even 100 people bought this, there's a statistically large enough sample to claim with confidence that this is the developers fault. And a hell of a lot more than 100 people bought it.

Nothing new. All companies do that. Microsoft, Apple... Everyone.

Anyone remembers the recent hardware bug with some iPhone incarnation? When the phone just losts the cellular signal? What was the Apple response? YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG. Yeah, a phone that has no signal due to a poorly placed antenna, but the user is wrong.

Sgt. Sykes:
Nothing new. All companies do that. Microsoft, Apple... Everyone.

Anyone remembers the recent hardware bug with some iPhone incarnation? When the phone just losts the cellular signal? What was the Apple response? YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG. Yeah, a phone that has no signal due to a poorly placed antenna, but the user is wrong.

Just think about it. Whereever you will put the antenna, at some place it will either a) interrupt the visual experience (ie. putting it on top) or b) will be covered by the hand. Everybody holds a thing differently, and one person will cover the antenna, there is no way around it.

(and I'm not writing this because I'm an apple fanboy of some sort, but because I understand the technical implications of it).

Nice try Viewsonic. One or two customers.....fine but when there are a LOT of them then the problem is on YOUR end.....not the users.

Sure, go ahead, blame customers for your own mistakes. That will certainly earn you points towards a good reputation. :P

The bullshit alarm is going off.

How dumb do they think we are?

Worgen:

Agreed. If you man up and say "Yeah we screwed up but now we fixed it", you're going to get more people coming back to try again than if you just say "You guys don't know how to use it." How do you come back and tell people the device is better if you won't admit it's broken in the first place?

StriderShinryu:
Wow, I'd hate to be playing Epic Mickey on that thing. There'd probably be enough "user fault" going on there to destroy the space time continuum.

Hahaha nice one!

Forktongue:

Hmm, interesting. This may be true, but the phrase doesn't lend itself well to that definition to the general public at all. They should find a better way to say it if that is what they're trying to say.

Its your fault we used the cheapest components we could find that have no manufacturing code of quality.

Tom Phoenix:
Sure, go ahead, blame customers for your own mistakes. That will certainly earn you points towards a good reputation. :P

It worked for Sony and Apple.

Well, they just guaranteed that I will never guy a product of theirs.

008Zulu:

But it's also going to come back to bite them. Heck, Sony is already in enormous trouble and Apple can quickly fall down that road if they become complacent(especially since it happened to them before).

This is what happens when companies run out of pirates to blame stuff on, they blame it on legal customers instead.

Tom Phoenix:

008Zulu:

But it's also going to come back to bite them. Heck, Sony is already in enormous trouble and Apple can quickly fall down that road if they become complacent(especially since it happened to them before).

I think its either; They dont learn from past mistakes or that they think they are too big to fail.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here