Win a Role in the New Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Win a Role in the New Dungeons & Dragons Movie

There's a new Dungeons & Dragons movie in the works and you can win a walk-on role portraying a character of your very own creation!

Yes, it's true: Silver Pictures, the production company that brought us the millennial cinematic train wreck Dungeons & Dragons is at it again, filming a new D&D flick entitled Book of Vile Darkness. The majority of filming is taking place in Eastern Europe but production will soon be moving to Louisiana for additional shooting, and that's where you come in.

Wizards of the Coast is holding a contest that will give one lucky D&D fan a walk-on role in the film. Hop over to Wizard's Dungeons & Dragons promo page and use the "D&D Character Builder tool" (accessible through the D&D Insider) to create a heroic tier (1st to 10th level) non-human character with a tendency toward magic use and "evil or mercenary behavior." Add up to 100 "words of flavor" to the submission along with your usual real-life details, save it as a PDF and then attach it to your submission form. The best of the bunch as chosen by Wizards of the Coast will be flown to Louisiana, where he or she will portray the winning character in an epic battle scene.

There is a catch, though, and it's kind of a biggie. The D&D Insider ain't free; a subscription costs $9.95 a month or $71.40 for a year. Along with the Character Builder it includes the D&D Compendium, Adventure Tools, Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine, which isn't a bad deal if you're a hardcore player but maybe a bit much for just a contest entry. On the other hand, if you're already a subscriber, fame and fortune await! Full rules are available at wizards.com (PDF format) and since I know you're going to ask, the contest is only open to residents of the U.S. and Canada.

As for the new movie, not much is known about it at this point. IMDB says it's expected to come out next year, the cast appears to be made up entirely of unknowns and both the writer and the director filled the same roles in Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God, the 2005 direct-to-DVD release that was the actual follow-up to the original film. That's right, two sequels. Who would've thought?

I think it says something about the film's quality that they're letting any old Joe in it.

Well, if I wanted to start a career in acting appearing in the second sequel to Dungeons & Dragons would probably be a step down from my current status of: "no experience whatsoever."

Well, I have a shared account with my DnD group, which works well (We only use it in the summer holidays at the moment when we're all around).

And as much as I like DnD....The films are shockingly awful...The last one Wrath of the Dragon God? *Shudder*

Why would I want to be in a D&D film? How is that a prize?

I take it the loser gets to star in it.

TheRightToArmBears:
I think it says something about the film's quality that they're letting any old Joe in it.

In theory, they're picking the best character, I guess, but there really isn't enough room for decent information to make a good character, and as far as acting goes, you have a point about letting anyone in.

Maybe it would make a little more sense if they had people submit characters, with the winner having their character portrayed in the film by a professional.

Only thing more laughable would be if the "prize" was to star in a Uwe Boll film...

Will I have to wear blue lipstick?

Given how the last film turned out, I would rather set myself on fire and go swimming in oil than be involved in a sequel.

But, Wrath of the Dragon God was good!

You know, with the commentary on.

"Ooooh, hot barbarian woman. First you ride 'em, then you eat 'em. Just like horses."

thenumberthirteen:
Why would I want to be in a D&D film? How is that a prize?

I take it the loser gets to star in it.

Well, there goes my joke. Well played friend.

The first movie made my eyes bleed. The second one was not as bad as I expected, not very good, but not the horrible affront it's predecessor was. Maybe the third one will be better. And maybe I'll be devoured in my sleep by Cthulhu.

I can't think of a single actor from the previous 2 D&D movies who didn't have their careers destroyed by them. Winning a guest walk-on is slightly above catching a steel nail to the eye.

And the fact that they would charge fees for the opportunity to be chosen for such is like a handful of salt thrown in your face directly after catching that nail to the eye.

I actually in all honesty didn't mind the first one (wasn't even aware of the sequels).
I have the first one on DVD, and I first saw it when I was about 11-12.
Maybe it's just a nostalgia thing but I quite liked the first one. It was just stupid fun, fantasy.
-Tabs<3-

Tonight, before I go to bed, I will sit in the darkness and think about what Dead Gentlemen Productions could do with that kind of support and money.

D&D fans... DON'T DO IT!

If you never saw the original film, it will make you CRY.

If you have a character that is anything like the contest description, DELETE IT.

FLEE!

Im gunna do it!
I hope i win, so i can star in one of the most horrid films ever created.
That way my children will have a legacy!

Theyer father will have been, "The evil, homosexual Orc that could barly throw a fireball!"

Heh. Speaks volumes when any cunt off the street can get a film part. Although considering the last one, thats the only way they can get actors, I suppose.

So I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the overly cheesy movies.

Total sacrilege to title it that when we all know its going to be watered down horror/fantasy. Hell, even the actual BoVD has a warning sticker on it.

/sadpanda at this entire fiasco.

Can I be Bruce Payne?! :D

Tiny116:
Well, I have a shared account with my DnD group, which works well (We only use it in the summer holidays at the moment when we're all around).

And as much as I like DnD....The films are shockingly awful...The last one Wrath of the Dragon God? *Shudder*

And the sad thing was, it was 1000x better than the first one!

Actually, I kinda liked it. And the same with "Scourge of Worlds", that CGI masterpiece. (EDIT: That was sarcasm.)

Presumably they're thinking if they get a D&D player to star in it they'll be guaranteed that at least he and his entire gaming group will go see it. They'll probably want to put his part right at the end though, because I'm pretty sure they'll all walk out once he's made an appearance.

Although, I guess if they're making a second sequel there must be enough of appeal to make a profit out of them. Still, it doesn't bode well if they're looking for random people to star and, by the sounds of it, write one of the characters too. At least D&D players probably have slightly more experience at that than the average person.

Oh they want the Sky Slayer? They GET the Sky Slayer.

Anyone else want Vin Diesel to play his D&D character?

Oh please no, not another eye watering attempt at a dnd movie

Is it too much to think that with such excellent source material, and a ongoing active product as Dungeons and Dragons they could at least put in the effort to make a quality adaptation?.

Using the BoVD in this way is such an insult, that i'm still going to be cursing the director afterwards just on general principle.

I know that given the motivation, a good amount of funding [ie millions], good actors and a well written script we could have that awesome DnD film we want, but sadly i know its highly unlikely.

I'm not hoping for anything on par with LOTR but still a good movie compared to the previous attempts

Come on Wizards of the Coast, you publish and produce among the greatest group passtimes in the world, could it hurt to insist on some quality if some random director come knocking asking for permission to again splash some vaguely Dnd material from the office recycle bin on paper and have sub-par actors mangle what could be a great movie if you just told these talentless hacks a simple No?

Even look to some classic DnD adventures for what a director should be using for inspiration: temple of elemental evil, Baldurs gate, Icewind dale, even some of the Greyhawk books like white plume mountain and it's sequels could make far better movie material.

I also wouldn't mind a complete movie adaptation of vampire of the mists from Ravenloft, but hoping for something of that quality is also futile

TheRightToArmBears:

But it's only one scene

WittyInfidel:
I can't think of a single actor from the previous 2 D&D movies who didn't have their careers destroyed by them.

I believe Mr Jeremy Irons would like a word with you.

Still, my answer to this offer is a resolute 'Nuh-uh'. If by some miracle I ever actually managed to get into the film industry I wouldn't want that kind of credit hanging over my head.

Sonicron:

WittyInfidel:
I can't think of a single actor from the previous 2 D&D movies who didn't have their careers destroyed by them.

I feel kinda sorry for Jeremy Irons. He's a really good actor with years upon years of experience under his belt and yet for some reason he slums in movies like Dungeons and Dragons and Eragon.

I mean, he can't actually think this stuff is good. He must be under contract or in serious dire need of a paycheque to star in this stuff.

Amnestic:

Sonicron:

WittyInfidel:

I feel kinda sorry for Jeremy Irons. He's a really good actor with years upon years of experience under his belt and yet for some reason he slums in movies like Dungeons and Dragons and Eragon.

I mean, he can't actually think this stuff is good. He must be under contract or in serious dire need of a paycheque to star in this stuff.

I don't think that matters to him... seeing what kind of movies he stars in I get the feeling he signs on because it's fun for him. Could it be that at his core he's simply a nerdy fantasy buff?
And by the way, not all of his 'smaller' movie projects are bad. I remember him playing Lord Havelock Vetinari in one of the Discworld movies, and that one was quite enjoyable. (And so was Eragon, at least in my opinion. :P)

So, the next one is going to be called "book of Vile darkness"

Looks are 3.5ed supplement shelf...

WHY?!

Formica Archonis:
Will I have to wear blue lipstick?

Yes! Now get in line.

Sigh. The reason major Hollywood stars don't consider it a necessity to indulge in the atmosphere of fantasy is because the genre hasn't been fully accepted into mainstream America. I personally can't stand it whenever actors, such as Alec Guiness for a prime example, consider it a mockert to acting whenever they are involved in anything other than a "historical film". It's even funnier considering they'd rather act in some old, European styled role in which they have to portray a famous historical figure, despite the fact that the majority of "realistic movies" are far from the truth. Strange how so many old figures and ancient men wrote mythology, old tales, stories...and the modern world still doesn't accept them on the same level. Hate to break it to ya folks, but the fantasy, horror, and science fiction fans own Shakespeare, Dickens, McCarthy, and every other "literary" work out there.

There were rumblings of a trilogy ever since the first movie, before director Courtney Solomon was booted off the series after the first one tanked. So I'm not surprised that they're still making these Dungeons and Dragons movies. Hollywood exec are nothing is not determined to continue to make shit.

What puzzled me about the first sequel was how much it tried to be both a direct sequel while distancing itself from the first movie. It was really, really odd. It was like they weren't sure if they wanted to reboot the franchise or try to hook "fans" of the first movie so they decided to do both. I wonder if the next sequel will do the same. That would be hilarious.

It it weren't for the costs involved, I would enter this contest just so I could refuse to go. I am that much of a dick.

Funny thing, though. I remember when the first movie came out and all the RPG nerds were making more excuses than apocalyptical christians. It was sad but funny just how far they were willing to stretch to say they liked that movie. What happened to them? Where's all that love now?

Ha!

Bigsmith:
So, the next one is going to be called "book of Vile darkness"

Looks are 3.5ed supplement shelf...

WHY?!

There was more fun in that book than there was in the remainder of those supplements. Aside from Ravenloft, of course.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here