Stargate Universe Producers Not Giving Up on Show

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stargate Universe Producers Not Giving Up on Show

SyFy doesn't have the final say on what happens on Stargate Universe, but the show will need to find more funding pretty quickly.

The news that SyFy would not be picking up a third season of Stargate spin-off, Stargate Universe, was not only disappointing, it also seemed to spell the end of the show. But SGU's producers say that there is a glimmer of hope for the show, albeit a very faint one, and they're trying everything they can to keep it alive.

The key point is that SyFy does not own the Stargate license, MGM does. While the licensing fee that SyFy paid for the show constituting a significant part of the show's budget, it wasn't all of it. If the show could find other partners willing to contribute enough to make up this short fall, the show could go on. Executive Producer Joseph Mallozzi didn't sugar coat the show's chances though, saying that it didn't look good, and that it was incredibly long odds that the show would be back for a third season.

Responding to questions from fans of SGU on his blog, Mallozzi said that there was a chance those odds could increase if fans showed their support for the franchise. He made it clear, however, that the executives would look at it from a business point of view, so while letters and emails were good, DVD and digital sales carried a heck of a lot more weight.

It's pretty clear that it's going to take something pretty extraordinary for SGU to keep going, so it's probably best to assume that it's finished. Still, it's hard not be little bit hopeful that the show might get a last minute reprieve, even though it's almost certainly not going to happen.

The final ten episodes of season two of Stargate Universe will be shown on SyFy in the spring.

Source: Gateworld via io9

So much potential lost in favour of teen drama.

I'm very meh about this news, I was a huge fan of SG1 and a moderate fan of Atlantis, but Universe really put me off, it was trying too bloody hard to be Battlestar Galaticia, there was very little if any of the fun off the wall stuff of SG1 and Atlantis, and too much damn angst.

A Pious Cultist:
So much potential lost in favour of teen drama.

Silly person. SGU wasn't profitable, and if that's the case, then it having potential is irrelevant. I can't believe you'd consider that a shows entertainment value is something that we should care about, when what should be at the top of our minds is making sure rich executives can turn a tidy sum off of everything that exists!

What are you rambling on about serene goose?
I don't understand what you were trying to say or how it related to my post.

tkioz:
I'm very meh about this news, I was a huge fan of SG1 and a moderate fan of Atlantis, but Universe really put me off, it was trying too bloody hard to be Battlestar Galaticia, there was very little if any of the fun off the wall stuff of SG1 and Atlantis, and too much damn angst.

This.

I am a big fan of both SG-1 and Atlantis while Universe is just to angsty to my taste. I liked the lighthearted tone they could take in SG-1 and Atlantis. So this is a very meh news for me too.

Goddammit, just let it die, please. Bring back something more like SG-1 and Atlantis.

Unfortunately, this is one of the shows cancelled for the right reasons. It sucked.

It might not make it back for another season but I can always hope. :D

I think they had it planned so if they only had one more season they had the storylines written up so they could finish the series for the most part.

Good news!

After betraying old Stargate fans all I can do is gloat and pity it's near demise. I hope this teaches him a lesson.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:
Goddammit, just let it die, please. Bring back something more like SG-1 and Atlantis.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I was thinking something slightly more like "of all the shows to take a stand on, why THIS?" But still.

Hey, you know what would probably have fixed your rantings? Killing Chloe. Seriously, that character was the biggest waste of screen time I've seen in a Stargate series. I also didn't like how they turned 'sociopathic black man' into 'just kinda grumpy black man' over two seasons, I thought the fact that he was slightly insane from being abused as a child actually made him a bit more interesting, Stargate's never really had a 'heroic sociopath' character, just some loners.

tkioz:

This. I enjoyed SG-1 and Atlantis, but I could not get into Universe at all. I gave the show several chances, but the main plot was taking so long to be useful and I'll ended up dropping the show. I hear the show was getting good on the second half of the first season, but I stop caring after that. Either way, good luck with the producers to try to revive the show.

ARGH.

Why can't they just put this series to rest? It was one of the few shows that was axed for the *right* reasons, mainly because it sucked, hard.
It was just so full of angst and melodrama and packed full to the brim with totally unlike-able characters that it's a disgrace to its namesake.

Honestly, the only character I ever liked from the word go was Rush, and you weren't even *meant* to like him at the start, so yeah, well done on that front, you make the rest of your characters so insufferable that the only character I enjoyed was the crazy scientist with a complete disregard for the lives of others.

Bravo.

I didn't mind that SGU had a darker tone. I thought it was a nice change of pace form Atlantis and SG1. That being said, I still think the fucking show sucked. They focused waaaay too much on the boring shit that was going on on earth and the lame love triangles and not enough on the damn Stargate. I couldn't get half way through the first season so, as far as I'm concerned, good riddance.

A Pious Cultist:

He was attempting to be satirical (he failed).

Wy is this show getting canceled a bad thing? SGU sucked, and that's coming from someone who like SG-1 and some of Atlantis.

Just let it die already, if you can't do it proper don't go shitting on a good name.

I hope they manage a way to keep running, but I won't be terribly sad if it's cancelled.

I enjoy the show, but they're still stumbling around a bit too much.

If I had to point fingers at why they were canceled, I'd have to say they had too many things going on:

- I don't mind Chloe, but having Camille there as well means that neither of them get much to do.
- a lot of the scientists got short-changed (or got too much time for second-string).
- the stones really annoy me; suddenly being stranded across the galaxy becomes a minor annoyance instead of soul-crushingly horrible.

I liked S1 specifically because it was soul-crushingly horrible. SG1 always had a safe harbor. Atlantis was chasing after ZPMs, but they were largely safe at home. What I liked about SGU was that sense of "we are so totally screwed". We don't have a safe harbor (no food, no water, no friends). We don't have the right people (except of course, we have just enough of the right people: no doc, but a medic, etc.). We're here, we're stuck, and we can't even drive the ship. My big complaint is that they moved away from that too quickly. Halfway through season 2, and we're pretty much Voyager. The civilian/military split is now Lucian/human, and neither are terribly interesting.

Really, I'll miss it in the same way I miss Dollhouse - it's a great idea, even if the execution was a bit hit-and-miss.

Terrible show is terrible. I honestly don't know why they slapped the Stargate franchise name on this. It was clearly meant to be something else and has very little to nothing to do with SG-1 and Atlantis. I mean common it's Drama In Space with the means of getting planet to planet just happening to be a stargate and the communication stones are thrown in. You alienate fan of the original with this obscene change, and the people who probably would be interested in it are turned off by the idea of the science fiction that the brand is associated with.

anyGould:
I hope they manage a way to keep running, but I won't be terribly sad if it's cancelled.

I enjoy the show, but they're still stumbling around a bit too much.

If I had to point fingers at why they were canceled, I'd have to say they had too many things going on:

- I don't mind Chloe, but having Camille there as well means that neither of them get much to do.
- a lot of the scientists got short-changed (or got too much time for second-string).
- the stones really annoy me; suddenly being stranded across the galaxy becomes a minor annoyance instead of soul-crushingly horrible.

I liked S1 specifically because it was soul-crushingly horrible. SG1 always had a safe harbor. Atlantis was chasing after ZPMs, but they were largely safe at home. What I liked about SGU was that sense of "we are so totally screwed". We don't have a safe harbor (no food, no water, no friends). We don't have the right people (except of course, we have just enough of the right people: no doc, but a medic, etc.). We're here, we're stuck, and we can't even drive the ship. My big complaint is that they moved away from that too quickly. Halfway through season 2, and we're pretty much Voyager. The civilian/military split is now Lucian/human, and neither are terribly interesting.

Really, I'll miss it in the same way I miss Dollhouse - it's a great idea, even if the execution was a bit hit-and-miss.

I pretty much totally agree with you (and the chloe/matt relationship was so boring to watch that it had no reason being there). Im gonna miss robert carlyle's acting though.

I really wanted to love this show, I'm a huge fan of SG-1, Atlantis, and of course Robert Carlyle, but I completely lost interest about 6 episodes in when they brought in ridiculous "infidelity on earth" storylines. I don't want my sci-fi to be a fucking soap, y'dig!?

This is so close to being a huge disappointment. SGU had a handful of interesting characters and the perfect setting in which to explore them. If only they had given Rush and Eli meaningful character arcs instead of focusing on the one-dimensional characters like Matt and Chloe.

Between SGU failing and Caprica being an unfocused mess due to all the Battlestar references they tried to hammer into the original concept, Syfy just can't stop letting me down. At least I can count on Science and Discovery to give me some entertaining television.

lacktheknack:

Plus with the Lucian and the stones we have these really unfitting references to the much "zanier" SG1 world. SG1 characters were always fantastic unfaultable good guys (with the exception of the occasional cliche evil clone that wears dark leather and talks in a deep commanding voice and has a few concubines), the Colonel (I can't think of his name but I think he's a colonel), Rush, Greer. Those characters motivations arnt always clear cut or necessarily good for the rest of the crew aboard the ship, and that was what made it interesting. But then we have characters like Chloe and Eli which don't really contribute anything else to the show except TEEEEN DRAMAAAAA.
Personally I didn't even find Eli that necessary as the "relatable character", I found the other male soldier (Why can I not remember any of the characters' names?) a much better rational middle-of-the-road character.

So basically: Continue it but cut the QQ and add more PEWPEW. Add some humour in places, it can help lighten the mood. Add the odd bits of action. Keep the story line progressing towards somewhere meaningful.

I enjoyed the concept of the show, it reminded me of the Atlantis (my favorite Stargate). It had the cool mindset of; these guys are stranded and have to survive on their own. Even in Atlantis when some of the ZPM's were found and contact with Earth became more normalized, there was still the air of "We're still on our own and have to rely on what we have" and that's what I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, as several people have already said, Universe spoiled this concept when they focuses on all the stuff going on, on Earth and the weird love triangles. Season one was pretty cool, but now as a whole, the rest of the series has been meh.

bahumat42:

I pretty much totally agree with you (and the chloe/matt relationship was so boring to watch that it had no reason being there). Im gonna miss robert carlyle's acting though.

Agreed on Robert - Rush and Eli are two of the best things about the show.

As for Chloe/Matt, it was just too... simple. The love triangle should have run much longer. (That's something I blame more on the writing than the actors - it's not that I don't believe them, it's that the writers wanted to see more Eli moping than an actual friction.)

(Now, Gil getting killed that fast was inexcusable. Again, here's a plot element that could have run half a season, wrapped up in two eps.)

Blind Sight:
Hey, you know what would probably have fixed your rantings? Killing Chloe. Seriously, that character was the biggest waste of screen time I've seen in a Stargate series. I also didn't like how they turned 'sociopathic black man' into 'just kinda grumpy black man' over two seasons, I thought the fact that he was slightly insane from being abused as a child actually made him a bit more interesting, Stargate's never really had a 'heroic sociopath' character, just some loners.

I'd say the entire Atlantis crew from about S3 onwards fit the "heroic sociopath" trope, albeit in highly relative terms. The "heroic" part, that is. The "sociopath" part was pretty objectively quantifiable.

lacktheknack:

A Pious Cultist:

He was attempting to be satirical (he failed).

I dunno, his sarcasm came across pretty clearly to me.

mr_rubino:

Blind Sight:

I'd say the entire Atlantis crew from about S3 onwards fit the "heroic sociopath" trope, albeit in highly relative terms. The "heroic" part, that is. The "sociopath" part was pretty objectively quantifiable.

I watched season 3 a long time ago, so I can't exactly recall the complete events of the series after that (had something to do with Michael and Teyla being pregnant, right?) but I'd say that the characters didn't really fit the 'heroic sociopath' trope, more then 'possible anti-hero' trope. A heroic sociopath is basically a loaded gun, you point them at a goal that is definitely good and they'll kill, destroy, rape, etc., everything in their path. Basically, the character has no moral qualms or connections to other sentient beings, and I'm not really sure if that the Atlantis crew fits that, they always seemed to do morally questionable things 'for the greater good' or for their own well-being.

anyGould:

bahumat42:

Agreed on Robert - Rush and Eli are two of the best things about the show.

As for Chloe/Matt, it was just too... simple. The love triangle should have run much longer. (That's something I blame more on the writing than the actors - it's not that I don't believe them, it's that the writers wanted to see more Eli moping than an actual friction.)

(Now, Gil getting killed that fast was inexcusable. Again, here's a plot element that could have run half a season, wrapped up in two eps.)

well to be honest season 2 had a few moments that it just kind of rushed to. The whole lucian alliance evil bloke could of been made into a bit of an ongoing obstacle and gil definitely needed to stay around longer.
Having said that we did get the dark ep of all the crew who had left coming back and dying again i did enjoy that. And ofc the rush numbers episode. Its actually quite sad that their only two episodes I hold in high regard. (mainly since cliffhangers piss me off)

meh universe kinda well sucks SG-1 was Amazing and then atlantis felt like a cheap copy universe doesn't even have any real tie to sg-1 or the movie aside from the stargate

I like how people say it was shit just after it was getting good. If the show was gonna be axed it should been axed last season before it started to get decent and killed off some of the more pointless characters and some of the pointless love triangles are abandoned or resolved. Yes it was not original Star Gate and it was more inline with something like Galactica but I don't what is wrong with that. It is a spin off not main SG1 it is ok for it to go in other directions.

Blind Sight:

mr_rubino:

Blind Sight:

I watched season 3 a long time ago, so I can't exactly recall the complete events of the series after that (had something to do with Michael and Teyla being pregnant, right?) but I'd say that the characters didn't really fit the 'heroic sociopath' trope, more then 'possible anti-hero' trope. A heroic sociopath is basically a loaded gun, you point them at a goal that is definitely good and they'll kill, destroy, rape, etc., everything in their path. Basically, the character has no moral qualms or connections to other sentient beings, and I'm not really sure if that the Atlantis crew fits that, they always seemed to do morally questionable things 'for the greater good' or for their own well-being.

So basically Rush before he also became a pussy?

Hey Stargate Producers? Give up on your shows. All of them.

We need the money to revive Farscape.

I haven't liked Star Gate since the season before Atlantis started. I feel no loss if it falls through now. The series has exhausted itself.

tkioz:

This is pretty much how I feel. I was trying to get into the show but they just kept focusing too much on relationships and whatnot. Still, it's a shame to see it end so quickly, maybe it would have picked up, it still can in the remaining episodes, let's just wait and see.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here