Gamer Inventories: Science Reveals the Truth

Gamer Inventories: Science Reveals the Truth

Rooster Teeth Labs has conducted a fascinating and extremely educational experiment demonstrating the real-world risks of carrying a gamer-sized arsenal.

In a typical shooter, the number of guns a player can carry is almost completely arbitrary. Some games toss a passing nod to realism by limiting the selection to two or three weapons but many others let gamers pack all the heat they can find. The pistol/shotgun/machine gun/rocket launcher/et al. dance should be familiar to just about anyone who's ever made a desperate, last-ditch stand against an invading horde of alien scumbags, but have you ever stopped to think about what happens to all weaponry when you're not waving it in someone's face?

The team at Rooster Teeth Labs sure has, and so they decided to investigate. You may recall RT Labs as the cutting-edge science team that earlier this year showed us what happens when you try to drive a real-life car like a videogame; now it's time to see what happens if you load up a real-life gamer like a videogame super-soldier. And while the result of piling 184 pounds of weapons, ammo and armor onto a pale-skinned, unmotivated button-mashed may not be terribly surprising or even instructional, it is amusing. And that's my kind of science.

via: VE3D

I love The Legend of Neil's take on Link's inventory in the original LoZ. He carries a freakin' log raft with him. Any fan of the original LoZ needs to watch that. It's actually extremely well done and uses pretty esoteric humor, especially in the later episodes.

The ending is pretty lol and I wonder what they'll do next week :D

I love these guys (and girl) so much. (Though this video was released on their site almost a week ago, I don't blame you for lateness for it was the holidays.)

Turtles FTW!!!
The future is here

Now that's science!

Rooter Teeths Imersion
"it's like the gaming versoin of mythbusters"

Old news, but terrific news. Almost funny to see their stuff on here. I wonder if RT will ever link Zero Punctuation...

That's so true, but not all FPS's are like that. Take Gears of War for example, you're limited on what you can carry and it shows your switching things out and where it goes. Still, funny.

So, at the beginning, why does the rocket launcher make the sound of the BFG? =p

The army guy actually did pretty well, but the nerd: "like a turtle on it's back" lol

What about 999 rounds of ammo?

I love how they take a game where you're in hell fighting demons and then wonder about the illogical inventory system.

Geoffrey Williams:
That's so true, but not all FPS's are like that. Take Gears of War for example, you're limited on what you can carry and it shows your switching things out and where it goes. Still, funny.

Gears of War isn't a FPS. Since you can see the character, there's more incentive to include a visual animation of your inventory.

Although not all TPSs show all the weapons on the player. GTA and RE4 don't for example. Vanquish had a good solution with the weapon replicating gun.

Surprised they didn't test how quickly you can change weapons that way.

But still, entertaining vid.

Ha, that reminds me of how much I liked the inventory system in the Elite Force games. When you aren't using a weapon, it is dematerialized and stored in a transporter buffer.

jack583:
Rooter Teeths Imersion
"it's like the gaming versoin of mythbusters"

I always thought R.T was more like Brainiac, except more interesting to watch.

Cursed Frogurt:
I love The Legend of Neil's take on Link's inventory in the original LoZ. He carries a freakin' log raft with him. Any fan of the original LoZ needs to watch that. It's actually extremely well done and uses pretty esoteric humor, especially in the later episodes.

Link please?

OT: I saw this vid about three times or so when it came out. This and their 3rd Person vehicle were the best. Course, Fight-Girl Costumes wasn't bad either. ;) "This may just be, the best idea ever."

This is the completely pointless and entirely amusing kind of science.

I love it.

Geoffrey Williams:

I would like to point out that shooting things doesn't equal FPS. Especially as gears is a third person shooter. Silly

Daverson:
So, at the beginning, why does the rocket launcher make the sound of the BFG? =p

Artistic license?:) I didn't hear any player sounds either. Dubbed in later or really bad user mod?

Oh, and can I have the BFG?

Neither of them are manly enough. DUH!

Woodsey:
I love how they take a game where you're in hell fighting demons and then wonder about the illogical inventory system.

Way back in the early days of D&D, Gary Gygax said the exact same thing about players who complained about how unrealistic the rule for the weight of coinage was in a game with elves, wizards and dragons.

Zachary Amaranth:

Geoff is Manly! He was in the Army!

Bah. In any self-respecting RPG you're hauling around a half-dozen suits of armor, hundreds of arrows, a score of useless weapons, a grab-bag of random quest items ranging from keyrings to glowing energy boxes, and looking for a merchant so as to fatten your already half-ton purse.

Still entertaining, though.

GrizzlerBorno:

Zachary Amaranth:

Geoff is Manly! He was in the Army!

Hasn't TV, MOvies, and games taught you anything? If you're not a marine, you're a total pansy!

I think its this is the exact reason y games today limit your weapons inventory. we cant suspend our disbelief to this part of the game anymore XD

Kinda wish games allowed for the same kind of arsenal Doom had today

Veylon:
Bah. In any self-respecting RPG you're hauling around a half-dozen suits of armor, hundreds of arrows, a score of useless weapons, a grab-bag of random quest items ranging from keyrings to glowing energy boxes, and looking for a merchant so as to fatten your already half-ton purse.

Still entertaining, though.

o so true. The backpack of limitless space!

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.