Activision Exec Blasts California Game Law in Newspaper Editorial

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Activision Exec Blasts California Game Law in Newspaper Editorial

The videogame industry is already doing a great job of keep violent games out of kid's hands, says Activision executive, and on its own dime too.

George Rose, the Vice President of Activision Blizzard, as well as the company's Chief Policy Officer, has penned an editorial article for the San Francisco Chronicle, attacking Leland Yee's videogame regulation law and condemning a lot of the evidence used to back it up as inconclusive or disingenuous.

Rose said it made no sense for California, or any other state, to replace an effective, "privately funded system" with a "costly state bureaucracy." He felt that the bill's supporters would accept nothing less than new legislation; however, the co-operation between the videogame industry and retailers meant that it was very difficult for someone underage to get their hands on an M-rated game.

He accused some zealous supporters of the bill of deliberately misrepresenting the videogame industry with titles like Postal, which was a commercial flop that retailers hadn't stocked for years. He derided the use of the game as a supposed exemplar of the state of the industry as a disingenuous attempt to generate unnecessary and unreasonable "drama and hysteria."

Rose also attacked the idea that the bill was backed up by hundreds of studies which proved the harm that videogames had on children. Every court that had looked at the issue of videogames' effect on children, he said, had found that research used to support the idea that they were harmful lacked credibility. He added that a group of 82 social scientists, medical scientists and media scholars felt so strongly that the claims in the bill were bogus that it had filed its own brief with the Supreme Court, calling the research "profoundly flawed."

While the editorial is pretty much everything you'd expect from an executive of a major videogame publisher, it does serve as an interesting counterpoint to a similar piece by Yee, which he wrote for the San Diego Union-Tribune earlier this month, and rebuts nearly every point that Yee makes. It's not clear however, exactly how much sway either argument will have on the Supreme Court's decision. Obviously, the hope is that the bill will be thrown out - and there are signs to suggest that it will - but we won't know for sure until the New Year.

Source: Game Politics

Ofcourse the research were flawed. How cant they be when the people behind it were biased.

Nikolaz72:
Ofcourse the research were flawed. How cant they be when the people behind it were biased.

Yeah, you get the research you pay for. You want a result, find someone who will give you that result.

Is it even important to the legislation that games are harmful or not?

They're self-regulated effectively. The law is about external regulation. Who cares if games are harmful, the first thing you should ask is if the external regulation fills a role that self-regulation isn't already filling.

The longer this goes on, the more pathetic Yee and his fellows appear to be.

You know if retailers would do their job this bill wouldn't be an issue. The retailers are who is to blame but no one here would ever accept that.

I... no, I can't say it. But I must. I... I agree with the Activision Exec.

so raise of hand who wants an increase in taxes to funding a law that is nye impossible to enforce? Not to mention can be circumvented easily by the same irresponsible parents who are allowing their kids to play these M Rated games now?

I sure don't.

Its funny how so many City/State Municipalities cry about lack of funding when their law makers are trying to find more ways to frivolously spend money.

Political aspirations under the guise of "Protect the Children" banner.

tehroc:
You know if retailers would do their job this bill wouldn't be an issue. The retailers are who is to blame but no one here would ever accept that.

to be fair, the reason ppl don't pick on the retailers on this issue is because they already do the best job out of any other media retailers. Not to say they can't be blamed as well. Or the fact statistics can be skewed considering the Videogame retail space is far smaller than Movies, Books, and Music.

If only these prents spentas much ime checking the games, as they did complaining after they buy them for their kds this wouldnt even be a discussion.

HG131:

Well, this guy isn't the devil incarnate so I think it's alright to agree with him.

Credge:

HG131:

Well, this guy isn't the devil incarnate so I think it's alright to agree with him.

But he works for him. That makes him an evil minion or a punch-clock one at worse.

I must say, I support this fellow. You are still underneath the wing of..I cannot under the words anymore.

HG131:

Credge:

HG131:

But he works for him. That makes him an evil minion or a punch-clock one at worse.

Not necessarily, he could be working against the devil in secret and actually be on our side!! ...Or something. >_> <_<
Whatever he is, the man talks sense.

tehroc:

You mean the retailers that have a much higher rate of checking IDs and turning away underage customers than any other?
The retailers that tell parents point blank that GTA probably isn't appropriate for little Jimmy then promptly get yelled at because they "dare to tell me how to raise my child!"?
The same retailers that day in day out have to deal with idiot parents storming in and demanding their money back because "that horrible game" isn't suitable for children despite having used those exact words?

Yeah fuck those guys that obviously don't do their job, I mean it's not like the parents are supposed to actually parent their kids is it?

Oh Wait...

Jamous:

HG131:

Credge:

Not necessarily, he could be working against the devil in secret and actually be on our side!! ...Or something. >_> <_<

Ahh, a mole. Good point.

I've heard those songs "We Are The World" and "Give Peace A Chance" probably a bajillion times since they were released decades ago, and it doesn't seem that we've gotten world peace yet, or even just an end to famine.

How are video games influencing our future again?

moretimethansense:

tehroc:

You mean the retailers that have a much higher rate of checking IDs and turning away underage customers than any other?
The retailers that tell parents point blank that GTA probably isn't appropriate for little Jimmy then promptly get yelled at because they "dare to tell me how to raise my child!"?
The same retailers that day in day out have to deal with idiot parents storming in and demanding their money back because "that horrible game" isn't suitable for children despite having used those exact words?

Yeah fuck those guys that obviously don't do their job, I mean it's not like the parents are supposed to actually parent their kids is it?

Oh Wait...

QFT~
i got my mom to buy me lots of these violent games and iam one of the people who don't like hurting others .... my mom trusted me with almost anything because she knew i was more then mature enough to understand what it is and how to deal with it ...

Retailers were always decent and nice enough to tell me and her what games seem too bad for a kid my age ... which is exactly what their supposed to do. retailers are not the blame its the new age parents that only care about themselves that need to get a nice slap in the face instead of blaming every other person for their mistakes

phoenix352:

moretimethansense:

tehroc:

Oh Wait...

QFT~
i got my mom to buy me lots of these violent games and iam one of the people who don't like hurting others .... my mom trusted me with almost anything because she knew i was more then mature enough to understand what it is and how to deal with it ...

Retailers were always decent and nice enough to tell me and her what games seem too bad for a kid my age ... which is exactly what their supposed to do. retailers are not the blame its the new age parents that only care about themselves that need to get a nice slap in the face instead of blaming every other person for their mistakes

Heh, same here, I always got my mother to get me the violent games because my reaction (as a six year old) to seeing a man violently mutilated was basically

Kids are like that, they are nowhere near as innocent as people seem to think, which is weird considering that we all used to be one.
You'd think we'd remember.

This can't be good. Activision is doing something gamers agree with.

Hide. Now. The end is nigh.

Am i seeing things? or is this Activision doing some good for once o.O

+1 to them...only another 10000000 to go until they hit the positive numbers...

Anyways...Yee and his followers are looking dumber every time this pops up, lets just hope this law thingy doesn't get passed.

OMG! Someone that sees that the Postal games never were popular and never will be.

Oh...And Activision doing something good? Did someone release the four horsemen? Has hell frozen over!?

Get me Satan on the phone NOA!

Can this George rose take over the company when bobby kotick eventually dies from having his head stuck so far up his own ass?

Well it seems that at least someone in the management of Activision is doing something good for a change. And of course the studies are rubbish. The REAL studies have shown that videogames improve the players reflexes(no shit) and problem solving and other cool things too.

HG131:

Jamous:

HG131:

Ahh, a mole. Good point.

Yes, a mole. I knew exactly what I was talking about. ;D
>_>
<_<

I find it funny how both sides think that the court will rule in their favor... Makes me wonder what the court is actually going to do.

For everyone shocked to be agreeing with an Activision employee...this law not passing is in the best interest of his paycheck staying nice and fat.

Also, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Frostbite3789:
For everyone shocked to be agreeing with an Activision employee...this law not passing is in the best interest of his paycheck staying nice and fat.

Also, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Or he could just be a sane person who somehow missed is ticket to lose his sanity with most of Activision.

This guy at the least is point blank with most of what he says, so maybe that'll be short enough to get it through Yee's head considering how many petitions have been sent to Yee that he just turns a blind eye to.

Granted that I don't live in the US, but its extremely easy to get M rated games here. It doesn't seem to matter how old you are, it appears that anyone can just walk into a video game store and buy what whatever game he or she wants. Granted that this might have changed a bit in recent years (plus being an adult I haven't really paid attention to this that much).

I'm still amazed that this is still being debated! I'm thinking that in maybe a decade or two most legislators will be gamers and no one will have to deal with these (current) zealots!

Who knows how the court will decide. Even hearing this case was so bananas, I wouldn't be surprised if the Justices announced their full support for California's law... naked.

is there a link to the actual editorial?

Anonymous Overlord:
is there a link to the actual editorial?

It's here if you follow the reference links.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/29/EDEL1H132U.DTL#ixzz19a0pL9Zx

I've worked retail, and I clearly remember my bosses lecturing us on checking IDs. I also clearly remember one day, when an underage kid tried to buy a game. I told him he couldn't, he stormed off, I put the game back in the case.

About 15 minutes later, his mother came up to my counter and ripped me several new orifices. Every swear word in the book. Finally, another customer complained to a manager about having to listen to her carry on, and he walked over to see what the rukus was about. So she starts railing on him.

He tried to explain the laws to her, but she wasn't having any of it. After about *45 minutes* of tirading, she shoved the manager out of the way and stormed out, screaming about how she was going to call corporate and have us both fired for "not doing what the customer wants."

LightPurpleLighter:
I've worked retail, and I clearly remember my bosses lecturing us on checking IDs. I also clearly remember one day, when an underage kid tried to buy a game. I told him he couldn't, he stormed off, I put the game back in the case.

About 15 minutes later, his mother came up to my counter and ripped me several new orifices. Every swear word in the book. Finally, another customer complained to a manager about having to listen to her carry on, and he walked over to see what the rukus was about. So she starts railing on him.

He tried to explain the laws to her, but she wasn't having any of it. After about *45 minutes* of tirading, she shoved the manager out of the way and stormed out, screaming about how she was going to call corporate and have us both fired for "not doing what the customer wants."

And this is the state of parenthood today, and how the ineffective mass hysteria fueled laws of today are going to do jack shit in helping the situation.

I call bullshit on Activisions part. While they are not their games, when I go on xbox live, there are KIDS on Halo, Dead Rising, COD and other M rated games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here