Star Wars Visual F/X Artist Grant McCune Dies

Star Wars Visual F/X Artist Grant McCune Dies

Grant McCune, visual effects artist on A New Hope and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, has died.

Academy Award-winning visual effects artist Grant McCune has succumbed to complications from cancer at age 67. McCune worked on over 100 films, many of which were sci-fi classics such as Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope (in which, Deadline notes, "in addition to his work as chief modelmaker for the groundbreaking film, he also appeared as a Death Star Gunner") and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

McCune specialized in models and miniatures, and worked on Caddyshack, Firefox, Spaceballs, My Stepmother is an Alien, Ghostbusters II, Speed, Batman Forever, Thirteen Days, and Rambo. He also founded his own company, Grant McCune Design, where he worked as miniature supervisor.

McCune and team won an Oscar in 1978 for their work on Star Wars, beating out the visual effects team from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. He was also nominated in 1980 for his work on Star Trek.

Source: Deadline

(Image)

We should track down this cancer and beat it with a sledgehammer until it turns into juice.

Whats with all this news on death!?!?!?!? Give me some happy news of kittens rescuing puppies from wells or something

Another death? I'm starting to get really sad now.

RIP my good man, you have deserved it.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dammit, Death, can't ya just fuck off every now and then?

Everyone around me is dying :(

Enough news about death. Come on, Escapist Magazine, report some news that will cheer me up.
Very unfortunate for this man to pass away.

He must have just found out what George was planning for the sequels after the 3D Edits. Poor poor man RIP.

Why is everyone DYING!?!?
Its not 2012 yet!

Another death, another statistic in life.

Don't know to man and won't fake that I really care but R.I.P.

I hope they find that cancer and torture it till it starts gagging guts.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

I don't know weather that's apt, or grossly inappropriate since that moment was one of the final nails in the beautiful Star Wars movie franchise.

KefkaCultist:
Whats with all this news on death!?!?!?!? Give me some happy news of kittens rescuing puppies from wells or something

Not puppies but this is close:

OT: That stinks but thus is part of life. Just be grateful for his life and influences.

You know what they say, the famous always die in threes.

He held on long enough to see Family Guy's "It's a Trap" but missed the Robot Chicken Star Wars finale.*sign* You can't have everything :(
R.I.P Grant McCune, may the Force be with you
Always

Another dead from something completely preventable, sigh..

More and more continue to get piled on for reasons why I hate the country I've lived in my entire life. People needlessly keep dying, I can't stand it, but I won't angrily rant here.

Cliche, but, Requiescat in pace..

Why is everyone dying? I'm starting to get paranoid...

ah from back in the day when ppl actually liked special fx

:( I've outgrown Star Wars, but it's still a piece of my childhood (and of course in no small part to the fx)

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Shows that I've been on the internet too long when all I can think looking at this thread is "fuck, I was ninja'd!"

Damn. I hate Cancer. It literally effects every family.

He worked on Spaceballs too? Now I'm really upset because everyone who worked on that film deserves a medal IMO.

All the good ole celebrities are dying out...
Soon, the entertainment industry will break down to the point where Justin Beiber, and Miley Cyrus are considered the best of the best...

We'll remember him for most of the good movies he worked on.

He has become one with the force. We lower are lighsabres in his honor.

Wow first the casting person, now this guy. WTF is up with today and people dying? I mean, first, I had to go to the DMV. Then, my day is even more screwed after reading the story about the casting person's (sorry I don't remember what the exact title is) death by some hit-and-run douchebag, now this F/X artist, who did fantastic work, died from some douchebag cancer. Damn.

So one of the very few people from the Star Wars franchise who had genuine talent is dead, and the person who has no talent period and merely got lucky with the first two flicks and who has been constantly trying to brutally murder his own franchise is still filthy fucking rich.
...yeah. I'm pissed.

I never heard of this guy, but damn I have the most respect for him just because of his resume. I feel almost as sad as when MJ died.

and when I say "sad" I mean regret because some one with a lot of appreciable talent is gone and that suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Save it for the New Year damn it! Anyway,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ah well it's StarWars, he'll return as a Ghost!

Goddarndangnabdanitangnabdangit. Why has so many died this year?!

More death....sad :(
I love star wars so much...very sad

KefkaCultist:

Unfortunate truth

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.