Ubisoft Relaxes DRM Restrictions on Certain PC Titles

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft Relaxes DRM Restrictions on Certain PC Titles

The annoyance of Ubisoft's "always online" DRM scheme is being patched out of past releases.

Gamers have struggled with DRM for what seems like an eternity, but never has the battle been more voracious than when Ubisoft revealed it would be requiring that PC titles remain online at all times lest they stop working. After less than a year, it looks like Ubisoft might be abandoning the scheme, or is at least patching it out of previous releases.

A user on Reddit pointed out that a recent patch released by Ubisoft has allowed both Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction to work without the presence of an internet connection. The user posted screenshots along with his network status, which showed an unplugged network cable, yet the games were still operational.

Ubisoft also abandoned its new DRM scheme with the release of R.U.S.E. in September 2010, which used Steamworks instead. Though the company once indicated an intention to continue to use the "always online" DRM with every new PC release despite controversy, issues with its operation may have made Ubisoft reconsider.

Even if Ubisoft keeps requiring PC gamers to remain online with new titles, thankfully it's at least patching this DRM out of older games as a form of mercy. This could be a sign that Ubisoft's DRM is a thing of the past, or it could just mean that we should wait 9 months before buying certain Ubisoft games on the PC.

Thanks for the tip FROGGEman2!

Source: Reddit, via PC Gamer

YESSSSSS

Tom Goldman:
This could be a sign that Ubisoft's DRM is a thing of the past, or it could just mean that we should wait 9 months before buying certain Ubisoft games on the PC.

ahaha Priceless. Sorry Ubisoft, I don't trust anymore.

Huzzah!
Maybe I'll finally look into getting Assassin's Creed 2 now.
Really wanted to play it but refused to touch it with a barge pole because of that DRM, both out of principle and practicality.

That's good news, but I've long since lost interest in Assassin's Creed.

I don't see that much difference, I mean, my PC is already hooked up to internet permanently

STOP CHEERING.

This isn't a removal. It still requires online authentication when you start the game.

And there's no offline mode, unlike Steam.

Ubisoft are still a bunch of cocknuggets and we shouldn't go back to loving them just because they're being slightly less cuntish.

You screw up, understand that you do, admit your defeat... but it takes you nine months to fix the games you already released?

Just... just what the hell, Ubisoft?

Well why aren't they being louder about this change to their DRM? This is what kept me from buying their games! Had I known, I might have actually bought AC2 during the Steam sale a few days ago.

Sebenko:
STOP CHEERING.

This isn't a removal. It still requires online authentication when you start the game.

Ubisoft are still a bunch of cocknuggets and we shouldn't go back to loving them just because they're being slightly less cuntish.

Thankfully in future games they are going to use Steamworks - cheer.

teh_Canape:
I don't see that much difference, I mean, my PC is already hooked up to internet permanently

Believe me its crap for us laptop owners who cant play games like this on the go (6 hour plain trips ect)

Hunter65416:

teh_Canape:

Believe me its crap for us laptop owners who cant play games like this on the go (6 hour plain trips ect)

That, and y'know, principles and shit.

Neat, I may get AC2 now eventually.

However question is, can you also save your game offline? That actually was the main point that prevented me from buying it.

Will I soon be able to HAWX it up when I don't have the net? Let's hope so...

Ah well, even if this is limited progress, it is still progress. So a minor YAY.

Is it true? No...I won't belive it! IT IS ALL LIES! LIES I TELL YOU!

OT: 9 fucking months to realise your misstake? Way to go Ubisoft...

Does Raving Rabbids have the same DRM? If not, maybe that is why it sold better than Ass Creed and not the increase in casual gamers?

I'm not a PC gamer so I have been saved the horrors of DRM abominations such as Ubisoft's, in the event that I do start playing more PC games I'd certainly avoid something which demanded bandwidth all of the time just to be able to play it. Maybe not if it was a multiplayer game, but certainly for single player ones.

Why did I have to find out about this after the Steam sale for Splinter Cell ended?

Aww, did somebody realize that a) the buyers hated the idea and just plain did not buy a game they might have been interested in, or b) that it didn't help to curb piracy at all?
Sorry, Ubisoft, I ain't gonna buy yo shitty ass games (part of a new years resolution, don't judge me!) anymore, and neither will a lot of other people. What's that? I'm a whiny pro-pirate anti-fanboy? Well, I get to decide where my money goes, and companies that try to dictate how I enjoy the product I've just purchased are sadly not going to be the recipients.

Tom Goldman:
it could just mean that we should wait 9 months before buying certain Ubisoft games on the PC.

I was thinking that the entire article.
Still, good news is I can get Assassins Creed 2 on PC now. I much preferred the control scheme of Assassins Creed on PC than I did playing number 2 on my friends PS3.
Of course it's still not a good DRM scheme. No DRM is good DRM... But I can deal with the online activation thing. Hopefully the next releases are just Steamworks. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've encountered.

And that DRM was the reason I didn't buy that Splinter Cell game in the Steam sale. Oh well, guess it saves me money...

Sean.Devlin:

Tom Goldman:
This could be a sign that Ubisoft's DRM is a thing of the past, or it could just mean that we should wait 9 months before buying certain Ubisoft games on the PC.

ahaha Priceless. Sorry Ubisoft, I don't trust anymore.

They still release quality console games, though.

So, Ubisoft is now doing what certain pirate groups have managed almost a year ago? Reaaally great.

FFFFFF....

HAD I KNOWN THIS I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SPLINTER CELL CONVICTION WHILE IT WAS ON SALE ON STEAM!!!!!

Man that is so annoying, I really want to play that game, but that DRM was just terrible.

Glorious. Although I think I'll wait some more time before I install them.

And they still fuck us over with that 4-6 month delay between console and pc release dates.
Like prince Arthas used to say: You are way past redemption!

Now this is something I support. Does this mean future games won't use this DRM? Please tell me. I really want to go buy No More Heroes 2...

Took them long enough, giving your paying customers a poorer product than what copyright violators can acquire never really was a feasible way of tackling the issue. Hopefully it's a first step to put this preposterously intensive "always-online DRM" - which will only bother those who are too law-abiding to not crack the game (and become copyright violators that way around, even with a paid copy) - out on the pastures.

Sebenko:
STOP CHEERING.

That's quite an improvement over being booted from the game if your connection dropped. It also allows you to start up a game on the go (or if your internet is down) by using a public WiFi connection you have to move away from, or using the mobile data network of a connected smartphone, which would've been far too costly before when you had to stay online.

Online activation at start-up is still a bother (I have a few games which use it), but the requirement to always be and stay online was by far the greater sin. And it shows that they're now on the retreat on the whole absurdly draconian DRM issue.

So a bit of cheer would be in order.

Actually, I have a question:

How are people who are offline supposed to get this patch?

And now, Ubisoft just realized how much it costs to keep to servers running. The amount they lose from keeping those servers up is infinitely more than the amount they would ever lose to pirates. I'm glad they're doing something about it, instead of doing the "Fuck you, we can't afford the server anymore, QQ at your TOS" thing I figured they'd be doing.

Irridium:
Actually, I have a question:

How are people who are offline supposed to get this patch?

That is just funny!

/insert M. Bison YouTube here.

It's a start. Possibly prolonged your companies life a little further.

Especially as you seem to be admitting it has NO effect on Piracy.

sheic99:
And now, Ubisoft just realized how much it costs to keep to servers running. The amount they lose from keeping those servers up is infinitely more than the amount they would ever lose to pirates. I'm glad they're doing something about it, instead of doing the "Fuck you, we can't afford the server anymore, QQ at your TOS" thing I figured they'd be doing.

Literally, 1 is Infinitely larger than 0. (Then again technically any number is infinitely far away from the previous number as there are an infinite number of numbers between each number, buuuuuut...)

Basically they started a war on drugs, they are going to continue wasting money battling something that, unless it went purely hyperbolic will never harm them. Considering in our past the only thing that tends to go hyperbolic is faith and war and those are two highly supported functions of society I'd say they have nothing to worry about.

Till the Warchurch of Piratology takes off.

Hunter65416:

believe me I know what you're talking about

see, EVERY FUCKING SINGLE fan review of AC2 gives the game a 1 or 2 out of 10, just because of the DRM, not the game itself

Sebenko:
STOP CHEERING.

So, you still have to be online every time you play? You just don't get shut down if you drop your connection now? That's not nearly good enough yet. One online activation, when you first install the game, is bearable (not ideal, though) but a check with every start isn't, and never will be, acceptable. Might as well keep the always online requirement, this is such a small change.

Don't waste my time, Ubisoft. Get rid of the DRM, and stop trying to screw your customers.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.