Battlefield 3 Relieving Windows XP From Duty

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Battlefield 3 Relieving Windows XP From Duty

If you're a PC gamer who is still using Windows XP, it's time to upgrade - or stay off of DICE's next Battlefield.

It may not be quite as big a name in mainstream gaming as Call of Duty, but there's no denying that DICE's Battlefield series is a FPS force to be reckoned with. The developer has said that it will be putting "special effort" into the PC version of the upcoming Battlefield 3 - but unfortunately, that means leaving the past behind.

Fan site BF3blog unearthed an overlooked Twitter post from the past summer posted by DICE rendering architect Johan Andersson. According to Andersson, the game engine used by Battlefield 3 is advanced to the point where it will not support what was once the dominant operating system among PC gamers: If you're still using Windows XP, you need not apply.

"Frostbite 2 is primarily developed for DX11. XP & DX9 is _not_ supported, 64-bit OS is recommended. Lots of time to upgrade if you havent!"

Though this is not official confirmation from DICE that BF3 won't run on Windows XP, if the engine doesn't support the venerable old OS that's one huge kick in the side. If true, this is a bold move for DICE - according to Wikipedia, Windows XP accounts for 44% of OS usage on the market today.

Among gamers, however, this may be a different matter: Valve published its monthly hardware survey results today, showing Windows 7 gaining ground and Windows XP losing it. Windows 7 (64-bit) was the most popular OS among Steam users, accounting for 36.66% of results (up almost a full percentage point from November) - and while it was still in second place, Windows XP (32-bit) fell a percentage point to 25.75%.

32-bit Vista took third with 14.14% of usage, beating out 32-bit Windows 7 (11.52%) and 64-bit Vista (10.58%). A mere 0.95% of Steam users are running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

So while this is a gamble for DICE to potentially alienate a good quarter of its potential market, it is probably a calculated one: There's a good chance that the hardcore gamers who would play a game like Battlefield 3 are the ones that have already upgraded to an OS like Vista or Windows 7.

If not, well, it'll also be coming out on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better than nothing, right?

(Steampowered.com & BF3Blog, via Blue's News)

considering how old XP is, this is going to become the norm, games still dont support 98, In a few years no game will support XP any more.

Why are PC gamers so attached to XP again?

I'm surprised this OS wasn't phased out of PC gaming years ago...

They need to get rid of DX9. It was good while it lasted but this is like making a game for all major systems as well as the PS2. You are holding back innovation by spending time to make sure the game can run on outdated hardware.

XP is a relic. Good to see it go. The the less we have to make room for the past, the more we can focus on the future.

Edit x 2, really not wording things right tonight.

Onyx Oblivion:

Because upgrading requires effort and I'm terribly lazy.

Isn't Microsoft stopping XP support soon too? I seem to remember that they'd end support sometime in 2011.

As far as XP goes.... You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!!!!

Onyx Oblivion:
Why are PC gamers so attached to XP again

Backwards compatibility (or at least that's the case for me).

I suppose I'll have to upgrade sooner or later. *Sighs*

The day's gonna come, might as well get it over with as soon as I make up the money for a new OS.

Amnestic:

Onyx Oblivion:

Because upgrading requires effort and I'm terribly lazy.

just "accidentally" throw it into the pool and say "oh... I guess I need a new Asus computer now...oh...darn..."

old news, but good to hear it again.

Korten12:
old news, but good to hear it again.

Yes, and about damn Time ^_^

Well by the time it comes out, I'm sure I would either have my own computer or this one would be upgraded. If not, I'll head on to my Xbox 360!

Onyx Oblivion:

Mainly because Vista didn't work very well, glitchy, memory heavy and generally rubbish, so gamers stuck to XP like old chewing gum to a boot. Although 7 has poven much better.

I wasn't going to buy it anyway. It isn't my loss.

John Funk:
If not, well, it'll also be coming out on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Better than nothing, right?

Actually that would be worse then nothing because being on consoles is a dragging down the quality of the whole game.

Damn it.

Ah well, look's like i'll be getting the console version then.

John Funk:

So while this is a gamble for DICE to potentially alienate a good quarter of its potential market, it is probably a calculated one: There's a good chance that the hardcore gamers who would play a game like Battlefield 3 are the ones that have already upgraded to an OS like Vista or Windows 7.

I question the intelligence of anyone running Vista over 7, currently. If your PC can run Vista, it can run 7 better. Plain and simple.

It's honestly about time people started moving away from XP though, as stable and popular as it was. It's simply not optimized to take advantage of the hardware available these days. Engines based off of DX9, are simply...well, outdated. The only people who still utilize it, are console game makers. (And before people start foaming at the mouth, the PS3 and 360, just can't pull off full DX10 protocols...something to do with both machines being based off of DX9 cards).

+1 to DICE though, Battlefield 3 should be pretty awesome if they get their engine right.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, honestly. They can't support XP forever, and considering it's turning 10 this year, it's amazing they've supported it this long. It's like the PS2 of PC gaming... Got some support well past it's prime, but now it's really quite time to leave it behind and move on to the newer, more capable platforms.

Thank God. DX9 is old, XP is old. They are extremely outdated and as it stands, should be discontinued as a gaming OS. (Note I know how expensive it is for a business to upgrade systems, I am saying this on a strictly gaming level, not business)

Mornelithe:

John Funk:

I question the intelligence of anyone running Vista over 7, currently. If your PC can run Vista, it can run 7 better. Plain and simple.

You dare question my intelligence? I am quite offended! Duel, at dawn. Pick your weapons.

(Vista runs quite well for me and reinstalling means a lot of stuff to do because my game machine is also a work machine. Also, I don't want to spend buying 7 for this machine that I'll probably replace sometime this year. Vista runs fine, really.)

Asehujiko:

John Funk:

Actually that would be worse then nothing because being on consoles is a dragging down the quality of the whole game.

QFT unfortunately.

I'm also happy to see DX9 go, as I've switched to win7 on most of my machines already. And since even a 2+ year old VGA is DX10 capable (eg: ATi 4800), it should only be an OS-change, not a full new machine for most.

The Irony is that many PC gamers complain how the Consoles hold the technologic advancement of PC games back. But once this was announced and EA/Dice willing to push further and move on after, lets say, almost 10 years, the PC masterrace started to whine and bitch until no tomorrow.

Lets see if the Escapist will display the same behaviour.

fix-the-spade:

Onyx Oblivion:

Mainly because Vista didn't work very well, glitchy, memory heavy and generally rubbish, so gamers stuck to XP like old chewing gum to a boot. Although 7 has poven much better.

This is more about perception than reality. Vista is not as bad as people say it is. And I'm not just saying that from a single experience. I have installed and used Vista on lots of machines. Yes, Windows 7 is lighter, but that's about it. If you have more than 1Gb of RAM and know how to configure it, Vista runs basically as well as 7, even using similar amounts of RAM.

Onyx Oblivion:

Because Vista was a buggy memory hog. If it had been up to the level of polish that Windows 7 is, then you would have seen a lot more gamers upgrade by now. Since it wasn't, it'll be a little bit more time for everyone upgrade. Upgrading operating systems isn't too cheap, so it takes time to make an investment like that.

Also because of backwards compatibility. It's easy to play old games on XP, as even games from last generation like Kotor are a massive hassle to get running on Vista and Windows 7. If you're buying a new machine, then this isn't too much of a problem. If you're upgrading, then you have a trade-off decision to make.

I know some people will be pissed at this matter, but I find the decision to be understandable. Continuing to support XP will drag down whatever innovations in the engine they hope to do. In any case, I hope Battlefield 3 will be great and I really need to upgrade from the piece of crap known as Vista.

tautologico:
You dare question my intelligence? I am quite offended! Duel, at dawn. Pick your weapons.

Yes, I do.

(Vista runs quite well for me and reinstalling means a lot of stuff to do because my game machine is also a work machine. Also, I don't want to spend buying 7 for this machine that I'll probably replace sometime this year. Vista runs fine, really.)

7 Still runs better, by a very far margin. And, really, no offense meant here, but reinstalling your OS is a mere fraction of the effort that it used to. This isn't the 90's where installing Windows 3.11 would take 5 or 6 hours. Windows 7 installs in under 30-45 minutes for me. Hell, so did Vista for that matter. I do understand the work machine though, been there myself, however, it's really not as big of a time consumer as it once was.

About time, really. WindowsXP has had a great run, but it's outdated. It really is.

Well, I guess I won't be playing Battlefield 3 then...
Not that I was planning to...

Mornelithe:

John Funk:

I question the intelligence of anyone running Vista over 7, currently.

S'cuse me? Don't be getting all up on mah intellect, dawg.

Ever occurred that the slight speed loss just isn't enough of an issue for us to fork out an extra however-many-pounds for one that's slightly better but, broadly speaking, functionally the same?

Upgrading for just one game that I'm really doubtful that my PC, as it is right now, may or may not run, no thanks.

But until I upgrade my PC, then I'll fully embrace Win7 x64 (I still have my copy laying around somewhere).

Danny Ocean:
S'cuse me? Don't be getting all up on mah intellect, dawg.

Ever occurred that the slight speed loss just isn't enough of an issue for us to fork out an extra however-many-pounds for one that's slightly better but, broadly speaking, functionally the same?

Excuse what? The poor attempt and sounding ghetto?

Did it ever occur to you, that I couldn't care less? Performance-wise, Windows 7 blows the doors off of Vista, all other details are secondary and inconsequential to me.

It was bound to happen at some point and invariably some game would have to herald it, though I doubt that Battlefield 3 will be the one to get me to switch even if I have been meaning to upgrade from Xp to Windows 7 on my desktop for some time.

Mornelithe:

7 Still runs better, by a very far margin. And, really, no offense meant here, but reinstalling your OS is a mere fraction of the effort that it used to. This isn't the 90's where installing Windows 3.11 would take 5 or 6 hours. Windows 7 installs in under 30-45 minutes for me. Hell, so did Vista for that matter. I do understand the work machine though, been there myself, however, it's really not as big of a time consumer as it once was.

Seriously, the difference is not that big. I have installed and configured machines with both Vista and 7. As I said in another reply above, a well-configured Vista is, at most, only (very) slightly more resource intensive than a Windows 7. The gain I would have going to 7 would not be worth the money for a Win7 copy and, more importantly, my time. This machine runs 3 OSs and Windows installers don't care for bootloaders, among other things.

Onyx Oblivion:

because A LOT of people dont want to cough up some bucks to Microsoft to upgrade

those are the same that can be found saying "Micro$oft is trying to rip us out of our pants!!!"

and probably have "Ubuntu" or other linux based OS in a partition somewhere.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here