Monsters Director Gets New Godzilla Movie

Monsters Director Gets New Godzilla Movie

Godzilla has had a rough time getting an American follow-up to 1998's less-than-stellar theatrical debut. However, the new movie seems to have taken a step out of development hell thanks to the news that it has a director attached: Gareth Edwards, the man who directed the well-received film Monsters.

Edwards is apparently going to be working on the movie's script, long with another writer who has yet to be hired/announced. There's already a screenplay written by David Callaham, though it's not certain how much (if any) of it will be kept.

Monsters was made for only $500,000 and was supposed to be amazing on several levels (if it came to Flagstaff at all, it was gone before I was able to check it out). If there's anyone who should be able to make a great Godzilla movie, I'd imagine it's Edwards, so long as Godzooky (pictured here) doesn't make an appearances.

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil for the tip!

Source: Heat Vision via Den of Geek

didn't moviebob say monsters was insanly bad?

God damn it, my godzooky fan club will be soooo pissed.

konor77:

Yes, but a lot of others have said it's insanely good.

Make of that what you will, if anything at all.

I feel like the only one out there who honestly thought the 1998 American Godzilla was best Godzilla movie to date.

Ah well, to each their own.

Woodsey:

konor77:

Yes, but a lot of others have said it's insanely good.

Make of that what you will, if anything at all.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/monsters/critic-reviews
wow those scores are all over the place. empire gave it a ten. actually i'm gona stick with moviebob i think reviewers are kinda obliged to be nicer to indy films or somthing so an average of 63 isn't that impressive.

JeanLuc761:
I feel like the only one out there who honestly thought the 1998 American Godzilla was best Godzilla movie to date.

I agree

JeanLuc761:

I agree. I actually thought that Zilla was the coolest Godzilla of them all.

didnt think godzilla was that bad either. coulda been better but it wasnt horrible.

I would like it on record that I was one of the six people who actually went to see Monsters.

I thought it was fantastic, and one of the best films of 2010.

I've gotta say, Godzilla was mediocre, but it wasn't by any means bad. I still pull it out every now and again just because that French guy does a nice Elvis.

The Godzuki pic was out of order. ;)

Although there are worse Godzilla films...

JeanLuc761:

I would go as far to say EASILY the best Godzilla movie to date.

I heard that movie sucked balls from a lot of people, including the site's own Movie Bob.

Somehow, I doubt that this bodes well for the film.

God damn it, now we have to deal with another crappy American Godzilla movie. At least (hopefully), this one won't have Mathew Broderick... or a lot of fish.

Please no more Godzilla movies, there are a metric fuckton of them made by Japan which should fulfill the biggest fanboy's dreams.

Just no!

JeanLuc761:

As a small question how many of the older films have you seen, I don't want to change your opinion, just curious.

HeySeansOnline:

JeanLuc761:

As a small question how many of the older films have you seen, I don't want to change your opinion, just curious.

To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sure I've only seen two others. They were fine in their own right, but there was something about the American version that I really, really liked.

Mostly the new design, I'll admit.

*points finger at everyone who thought the American Godzilla movie was the best* Blasphemy, you all should be ashamed. It's the worst Godzilla movie ever...but a decent monster movie without being called Godzilla.

Not too long ago, I watched a streamed Godzilla marathon, mainly from the Heisei era. I hadn't seen many of those movies in a long time, and they confirmed one of my feelings. I'll take a guy in a rubber suit that manages to convey personality and a ton of attitude over some mindless CGI fish-eating monster. The Japanese Godzilla is seriously bad news, the American Godzilla is just a creature waiting to be put down by the military.

It's a bit sad that something like Cloverfield managed to "get it" while the actual Godzilla movie failed to do so.

I'm interested to know how MovieBob feels about this.

vansau:
so long as Godzooky (pictured here) doesn't make an appearances.

How dare you sir! Godzooky was the best part of that cartoon!

kommando367:

JeanLuc761:

I agree

I agree as well, seeing as Godzilla movies in general are so bad they're good. I was actually beginning to wonder if they would do a new Godzilla, I guess life has it's little surprises.

I won't know how to take this news until I've actually seen Monsters, but from what I've heard (effects good, but everything else is terrible/contrived/insert mean word), and how the trailer makes it look like a second-rate knockoff of District 9 with Cloverfield-style protagonists, the only reason I'm keeping an eye out for it is because I'm a sucker for monster movies, even bad ones.

As for the new Godzilla, I've been a little mixed on it from the start. On one hand, I'm a huge fan, and like seeing a new movie in the series pop up from time to time (I even like the '98 version); on the other hand, there's only a handful of decent entries, and do we really need yet another one? The original, before Raymond Burr was added in, is still the best. Yes, the effects are dated, but it outshines most modern monster movies in terms of everything that actually makes a film worthwhile (acting, plot, themes, directing, etc.).

Also, is it becoming a new trend to hand huge blockbuster films that 'reboot' established franchises to freshman indie directors? First there was that Marc Webb guy snagging the (increasingly horrible-looking) Spider-Man redo, and then Matthijs van Heijningen, Jr. doing the prequel to The Thing (why, yes, I did have to look it up just to spell it correctly), now it's this guy? I can't help but think this is a way to get cheap directors to help push these projects out the door.

JeanLuc761:

I concur, it was a good movie with a grounding in reality (as loose as it was) and was enjoyable to watch.

konor77:

Yeah, I've read a bunch of other reviews and MovieBob seems to be alone with his opinion of the movie.

So what's with all the hate for the 1998 Godzilla movie? I actually liked it.

You know some time the originals aren't better than the remakes. I've watched the old Godzilla movies and they were all cheezy as hell so i don't see y ppl hold those in such high regards. personally i ♥ the 1998 movie. Wouldn't consider it a great film but still a good popcorn flick.

Plus it had Jean Reno sounding like Elvis, and that is instant win on my end lol

Shoulda given it to Peter Jackson. He made the only King Kong most people like.

LightPurpleLighter:
Shoulda given it to Peter Jackson. He made the only King Kong most people like.

God I hated that movie with a passion. Except the insect scene, that was creepy.
As for a new Godzillia? Ye why not. I liked the '98 one.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.