Michael Jackson The Experience Sold Way Better Than Anyone Thought It Would

Michael Jackson The Experience Sold Way Better Than Anyone Thought It Would

Apparently, a lot of people wanted to slip on a glove and a Wii remote to dance to Michael Jackson songs.

I liked Michael Jackson The Experience. There was something awesome about picking up a controller and pretending to be the Gloved One as I did my best keeping up with his (occasionally really freaking hard) dance moves. But I honestly didn't think it would appeal to a lot of gamers, especially with more complete dancing experiences available from Just Dance 2 and Kinect's Dance Central. I guess I should eat my hat as Ubisoft announced today that Michael Jackson The Experience sold through two million copies in the US and Europe. Keep in mind, that's only one platform and the game hasn't even been released in Japan yet. Ubisoft is optimistic that the Move and Kinect versions out later in 2011 (April 12th in N.A. and 14th in Europe) will perform even better.

"Michael Jackson The Experience is a worldwide hit and offers fans the game they have been waiting for," said Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer of Ubisoft. "As the leader in the dance game genre, our teams have worked enthusiastically to build an experience that recreates the magic worlds of Michael Jackson's videos and performances. We're looking forward to bringing Michael Jackson The Experience to Kinect and Move so an even bigger audience can enjoy playing the game with their friends and family too."

The Xbox 360 and PS3 version will add "Blood on the Dance Floor," "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" as well as some as yet unannounced tracks. You will also be judged on singing in addition to dancing, which will add a whole new difficulty level to the mix. I am out of breath every time I finish "Thriller" so I can't imagine having to actually get out all of the words at the same time.

Great, now we get to deal with two things.
1. More games like this will now flood the market.
2. Michael Jackson will still be trotted around stage despite being dead for a while now. Guys, let him rest in peace already.

Hmmmmm....

Maybe there is something to my Riverdance Kinect game...

Proof that dead pop singers = good game sales...

Prepare for market saturation...

hansari:
Hmmmmm....

Maybe there is something to my Riverdance Kinect game...

And you CAN wear the shoes while you do the dance unlike the glove! There's much potential in your idea yet, then you can sell a wood floor upgrade. Oh man people will be tappin' bills out their wallets for time to come!

inb4 inafter people whine about a game they don't like selling well.

Seriously guys, can we get ONE news article about a not-so-HARDCORE game selling well without people whining about it?

Can't we just let the guy be dead already? Have some respect...

LightPurpleLighter:

I don't get the "he's dead leave him be" to "respect" him.

I would think that the least respectful thing to an artist is to let his art die with him and pretend like it never existed.

That sounds a lot more insulting to me.

Pimppeter2:

LightPurpleLighter:

I don't get the "he's dead leave him be" to "respect" him.

I would think that the least respectful thing to an artist is to let his art die with him and pretend like it never existed.

That sounds a lot more insulting to me.

I'm inclined to agree. Completely ignoring the artist and acting as if he never existed is in no way honoring what many people consider the best pop artist in the last 50 years, maybe ever. If anything, games and movies, while cashing in on his death, are still honoring him for being what he was.

Erm...any actual sales figures?

In reality though, this is disappointing. This paves the way for further popstars' graves and the spitting upon thereof. :(

I guess even though no one wants to admit it, alot of people like MJ and you gotta admit he has got some good music and moves.

Well to be quite honest, that is around 1,999,900 or so copies more than I thought it would sell.

Radoh:
More games like this will now flood the market.

Yep. We have found the new fad: plastic guitar music games are out, dancing music games are in.

Leaders in the dance market game? Ubisoft? Ahahaha, they are hilarious...not.

I can easily see this becoming the new cashcow. Nothing beats Dance Central so far. Period.

Now all we need is a Michael Game that lets you dangle babies from a balcony.

OT: I am actually suprised it sold that well, but then again, what do I know.

I was in a gamespot yesterday and there was a stand with games that were currently out of stock but and each had a sticker saying something like "In stock soon, pre-order now". Most of the games made sense to me, like Assassins Creed Brotherhood. But The Micheal Jackson Experience was there too, which puzzled me. But I guess its not surprising that his popularity passed over to videogames.

Radoh:
Guys, let him rest in peace already.

that last bit

tomtom94:

In reality though, this is disappointing. This paves the way for further popstars' graves and the spitting upon thereof. :(

Two million copies. It's in the post.

LeonLethality:
inb4 inafter people whine about a game they don't like selling well.

Seriously guys, can we get ONE news article about a not-so-HARDCORE game selling well without people whining about it?

*applauds* Thank you for saying that I immediately thought when I read the title.

My in-laws bought it. At first I was like WTF? Then I could see the appeal.

Despite not liking dancing or Michael Jackson's music, I can see how awesome this is for people who do enjoy them. Being a funky dancer does make you look good, can't argue with that!

Greg Tito:
Apparently, a lot of people wanted to slip on a glove and a Wii remote to dance to Michael Jackson songs.

Allot of people would do that without the Wii. Have you been to Youtube recently?

I like Michael Jackson as an artist, I would almost buy the kinect to play this game on my X-box. Plus the ladies like dancing games it would seem.

U can put MJ's face on anything now and im pretty sure people will buy...anything imean have u seen how rabid his Fans are. plump his fase on a can of battery acid and im pretty sure theyre will be a mile line oh people ready to buy it.

Great game. I can now cancel my gym membership. I get a great workout dancing my "a" off. lol. nice glove too. Long live the King of Pop!

ok
i´m a 25 years old male, i live in México, and i loved the songs of michael jackson (some even where translated to spanish and sung by our own king of pop, Luis Miguel)

and i have to say i would probably buy this for the PSM

I like dancing and singing, and this seems like a good game to play, i never really cared about the "pedofile" thing (i actually thought they were trying to cash out of an already succesfull artist) but own oppinions appart he was a great artist and it would be nice to play as him.

I had a little go on this game recently and I've got to say I had a lot of fun with it and I'm not suprised it is enjoying good sales figures.

Whether or not you think it's disrespectful to have a dead celebrity endorsing a product is kind of irrelevent in cases like this. This game felt more like a tribute than a cash in.

It's dance mechanics are well implemented and a lot of effort went into it's design, the gameplay isn't perfect but then again it's better than most wii games i've played.

Dancing games are not new to the world and given the latest bout of motion-controlled interfaces, games like these are going to become more and more predominant in the casual game market. The idea that Michael's music and legacy should be laid to rest is nonsense! Should they have stopped putting on performances of Shakespeare's plays because he died? Of course not, and this should be no exception. MJ was a supremely gifted performer and this game I think helps to paint a more positive light on his career with a sole focus on the dancing and singing for which he became world famous for. I think a lot of this negativity comes from those young'ens who weren't around when Jackson was still in his prime, those who were knew how special he was then and after his death didn't need a Media-driven 180 to discover it.

Though i'm not rushing out to buy it for myself (dancing is not something i'm particularly fond of), I can see a lot of potential for similar games focusing on more than just dead popstars. There is a whole host of West End Musicals, Film musicals and Bollywood films which would make a solid impact on the casual game market... Just because John Travolta is another scientology nut jub with a failing career doesn't mean you can't find hundreds of thousands of people out there willing to pay to pull of 'those' dance moves from Saturday Night Fever.

Now where the hell is a Tom Waits game? Seriously, rooster scratching to Chocolate Jesus, I would probably buy a Kinect for that.

Greg Tito:

tomtom94:

Two million copies. It's in the post.

Ah, I think I was tired and not looking hard enough then. I thought it was just going on the words of the chief exec...

I'm going to put those high figures down to the Christmas rush.

To everyone claiming this is "spitting on his grave": please stop, its annoying. some of the people buying these games buy them because they interest them, and some because they love Michael Jackson (so it would be the opposite of dishonoring because it is out a a love for his music). Besides, its not like if Michael was still alive he would stop production of the game, its no less offensive than any other piece of merchandise.

fantastic! love his music and you can't go wrong by learning the dance moves to the songs. \o/ might give me a reason to pick up the move when its out for the PS3.

TailsRodrigez:
To everyone claiming this is "spitting on his grave": please stop, its annoying. some of the people buying these games buy them because they interest them, and some because they love Michael Jackson (so it would be the opposite of dishonoring because it is out a a love for his music). Besides, its not like if Michael was still alive he would stop production of the game, its no less offensive than any other piece of merchandise.

Plus, Michael loved videogames. I strongly suspect he would have been overjoyed to think of how many people are now standing in their living room dancing to his music and (in my own case over Christmas at least) having fun together as a family.

Radoh:
Great, now we get to deal with two things.
1. More games like this will now flood the market.
2. Michael Jackson will still be trotted around stage despite being dead for a while now. Guys, let him rest in peace already.

I concur. To ad further, anything with Michael Jackson name will sell well for while. It's just a cheap trick Ubisoft is pulling.

Daystar Clarion:
Proof that dead pop singers = good game sales...

Prepare for market saturation...

COMPLETE...MARKET...SATURATION...

OT:

If they EVER do any kinda game with James Brown, I'll flip. The Hardest Working Man in Show Business finally got a chance to rest...

(Thinks about idiot dancing to smooth criminal) lol

Seriously people, bitching about the sales of this game being attributed to Michael Jackson's fame is going to get you nowhere. I've seen and played more dancing games than the bulk of the haters out there, and I can tell you with complete certainty that MJE is by far the most fun I never thought I'd have flailing around like a spaz.

Developers: You know you're onto something when a room full of a dozen or so people excitedly engages with your content, even though there's only 4 controllers to actually play the game. (@2:40)

My friend got this game and Just Dance 2 for Christmas, and to be perfectly honest we've played this one a lot more. She's a huge MJ fan, I'm more of a take-it-or-leave-it on his music, but it's still damn fun for both of us. Maybe it's just something you have to play to really appreciate (which I'm sure most of you won't, because it's easier to knock on something you've never spent any time with).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here