Elijah Wood's Frodo Will Appear in The Hobbit Movies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Elijah Wood's Frodo Will Appear in The Hobbit Movies

Sources have confirmed that Elijah Wood will reprise his role as Frodo Baggins in Peter Jackson's two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

Everyone knew that Peter Jackson would take liberties in portraying the comparatively short tale of The Hobbit over two films by borrowing heavily from the immense backstory written by J.R.R. Tolkien. For instance, we know that Cate Blanchett will appear as the elf queen Galadriel despite not being mentioned in Tolkien's prequel to the Lord of the Rings. But The One Ring.net has confirmed that Elijah Wood will also appear in the films, despite the events of The Hobbit occurring nearly 80 years before Frodo takes the Ring to Mordor (and 27 years before Frodo was even born.) How does that work, you might ask? Well, read on only if you don't mind knowing the narrative framework of a work before you consume it. In other words:

THAR BE SPOILERS HERE

The opening sequences of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit will feature Elijah Wood as Frodo reading through his adoptive father's adventures written in the fictional Red Book of Westmarch aka There and Back Again. Remember the big red book that Bilbo is seen writing in the Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring film and that Frodo is later seen recording his story in The Return of the King? That book also contains Bilbo's account of his adventure to the Lonely Mountain with Thorin Oakenshield's band of dwarves and Jackson is using Frodo reading the story as a framing device for the The Hobbit films.

It's an ingenius way to not only draw in fans of the original films but also cater to hardcore fans of Tolkien's Middle Earth. Frodo will be able to experience Bilbo's story, while leaving it open for characters like Gandalf (hopefully played by the as yet unconfirmed Ian McKellen) to drop by and add their insight to the story. For example, with Galadriel, Saruman and Radagast (another Wizard) confirmed to appear in the film, maybe Gandalf will report on attending a meeting of the White Council and the subsequent attack on Dol Guldur just as Bilbo (played by Martin Freeman) and company traverse the forest of Mirkwood.

As an admitted Tolkien fanboy, I quite like the direction that Jackson is taking with The Hobbit portraying so much more of the story of Middle Earth. Here's hoping it lives up to his treatment of the The Lord of the Rings and offers an experience that captures the feel and tone of the original works while limiting any changes in the story to make it more cinematic.

Source: The One Ring

Sounds fantastic. I'm getting quite hyped up indeed, for this movie.

SPIFFING!
Top notch and crumpets.

That is all.

As my younger cousin says "that's a good Ideal" it's an interesting touch to my favorite book of the series.

At first I was like "Huh?" But then I was like "Yay!"

Yeah... sounds good to me! I like the idea, sounds like there'll be a narrative with some interesting interjections.

Seeing as the book "The Hobbit" itself was supposedly Tolkien's translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, it itself was narrated post-adventure by Bilbo himself, which makes this framing device all the more awesome. Though, perhaps it would be just as good if it was Sam reading to his kids (I distinctly remember Frodo leaving the Red Book with Sam when leaving for Valinor).

My only question is: Why suddenly include Radagast? He hadn't interacted with either Bilbo or Frodo and only briefly appeared in The Fellowship to deliver a message to Gandalf. Just wondering =/

hopefully it won't detract too much from the simple style of the original material, but it does sound interesting.

I trust Mister Jackson's ability. I'm pretty sure he'll do this right... If he does it'll be fucking brilliant. If not, it'll be awful. I'm hoping for brilliant personally. :P

That. That right there is an excellent idea.

.......my balls just exploded

Nocta-Aeterna:
Seeing as the book "The Hobbit" itself was supposedly Tolkien's translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, it itself was narrated post-adventure by Bilbo himself, which makes this framing device all the more awesome. Though, perhaps it would be just as good if it was Sam reading to his kids (I distinctly remember Frodo leaving the Red Book with Sam when leaving for Valinor).

There's quite a long time (over a year I think, at least) in between them returning from Mordor and him leaving, so perhaps Frodo read it before writing Lord of the Rings.

Woodsey:

Nocta-Aeterna:

There's quite a long time (over a year I think, at least) in between them returning from Mordor and him leaving, so perhaps Frodo read it before writing Lord of the Rings.

True, but I just thought that would be a nice framing device as well.

That sounds like an interesting idea, and I would trust that the people involved have the skill and talent to pull it off. I just hope there isn't an extra hour or so of film that is just filler to make it the length they want...

I cannot wait for this film.

I am very much hoping Ian Mckellen reprises his role, similarly to Christopher Lee.

Radagast is an interesting choice. Wonder who will play him. It's been years since I read the book, but neither he nor Saruman appeared did they? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I hope Thraduil is in it too
Also, the Battle of Five Armies is going to me IMMENSE.

I have to admit that is cool license, and does help bring in the LOTR movies crowd as well that aren't as well-versed in the books.
And when you take into consideration that Galadriel is part of the White Council and it has been pretty much confirmed that the battle at Dol Guldur will also feature on-screen in the movie, then it's not like Jackson is going out of his way here. Heck, he has the opportunity to be faithful to the story of Bilbo on his journey while having some fun on his own portraying a battle that happened off-scene in the book. And Jackson does do battle good.

Very much yay. I sincerely hope that this movie gets done as quickly and as well as possible.

I dont even remember Frodo being mentioned in the book. Odd.

Echo136:

He isn't, but he does read/write on the book in the trilogy, the Hobbit movie is Frodo reading the book.

Echo136:

Thats because he never was. It honestly just seems like a dumb idea to do it this way since all it appears that it will do is extend the movie but add nothing to it. The movie is supposed to be about Biblos adventure and if as somebody else said they want to add things that happened "off screen" in the book it only makes it harder. Sure they can have other people conviently stop by and add that in but again it only serves to make the movie longer.

So it's not really the hobbit anymore? More like "THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE TOTALLY UNNECESSARY YET AWESOME BACK STORY + EVEN MORE UNNECESSARY WORLD BUILDING WHICH IS ALSO MORE AWESOME THAN IT HAD THE RIGHT TO BE!!"

Yeah..... I see why they didn't go with that. Not very catchy.

TLOTRTTUYABS+EMUWBWIAMOATIHATRTB

vrbtny:
So it's not really the hobbit anymore? More like "THE LORD OF THE RINGS : THE TOTALLY UNNECESSARY YET AWESOME BACK STORY + EVEN MORE UNNECESSARY WORLD BUILDING WHICH IS ALSO MORE AWESOME THAN IT HAD THE RIGHT TO BE!!"

Yeah..... I see why they didn't go with that. Not very catchy.

TLOTRTTUYABS+EMUWBWIAMOATIHATRTB

The Hobbit would have always been about back-story since it's, you know, a prequel, which are meant to give insight into events that occurred before the main films like Bilbo finding the one ring or Sauron being driven out of Mirkwood.

Like this. Like this a lot. It may have something to do with Elijah being one of my favourite actors (and making a pretty damn passable Frodo), but it also gives a good perspective on the story. Instead of saying 'Hey audience, just pretend you saw this first, okay?', it's saying 'Alright, we KNOW what's just happened, but here's what happened before. While we're at it, here are some of your favourite characters and their views of what happened'. I think that's pretty cool, actually. :)

This would work well! Tolkien uses an omniscient narrator in "The Hobbit" to set the tone and for transitions, something he doesn't do in "Lord of the Rings". Frodo could fill that role. It would fit the tone of the book nicely.

as first I was skeptical but now I'm excited.

The Rascal King:
.......my balls just exploded

Dude. You should go to the hospital. That doesn't sound too good.

Awesome, loving it! I much preferred The Hobbit to LOTR when I read them anyway. I know it's aimed more at children so the writing was... simpler so maybe I'm just stupid but I still enjoyed it more

Side note: LOL the word I have to spell in the Captcha is 'dyslexia'. That just doesn't seem right somehow

I'm still in the air about this. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

That's actually not a terrible idea. Wow. I've been kind of grumbling about this movie since Guillermo Del Toro gave the directors reigns over to Peter Jackson, because I felt Del Toro would do a better job with the overall design of the movie and since I've been a fan of his work in the past. Peter Jackson on the other hand, I feel focused LoTR on the action sequences rather than on what made it an epic. That's just me, though, I know many people who thought the films were better for the increased adrenaline and cutting out of the poetry and faffing about that comes with Tolkein's writing style. The framing device is clever, and I won't turn down a chance to have some of the better cast members reprise their roles (Cate Blanchett and Cristopher Lee in particular), but I things like Orlando Bloom (rumored to be reprising his role as Legolas) coming into the picture makes me feel like Peter Jackson might be taking more liberties than one really should.

Cautious Optimism rising...

Fightgarr:
That's actually not a terrible idea. Wow. I've been kind of grumbling about this movie since Guillermo Del Toro gave the directors reigns over to Peter Jackson, because I felt Del Toro would do a better job with the overall design of the movie and since I've been a fan of his work in the past. Peter Jackson on the other hand, I feel focused LoTR on the action sequences rather than on what made it an epic. That's just me, though, I know many people who thought the films were better for the increased adrenaline and cutting out of the poetry and faffing about that comes with Tolkein's writing style. The framing device is clever, and I won't turn down a chance to have some of the better cast members reprise their roles (Cate Blanchett and Cristopher Lee in particular), but I things like Orlando Bloom (rumored to be reprising his role as Legolas) coming into the picture makes me feel like Peter Jackson might be taking more liberties than one really should.

Legolas is one of the least offenses....he was technically at the Battle of Five Armies (what with the wood elf army being led by his father, too) so that doesn't really bother me.

I guess in many ways this is "The Hobbit, George Lucas prequel edition." But hopefully without the Lucas Suck....

"Peter Jackson [...] has the distinction of having never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER made a bad movie" ~ MovieBob

He couldn't be more right. I think this can work incredibly well, though it is a little jarring to think that this may as well be a flashback story, because it could serve to seamlessly blend one story (and film) into the others.

Peter Jackson does basically everything he does well for all the right reasons, and i am prepared to muster a legion of elves to aim their bows towards the eyes of anyone who thinks otherwise.

I trust no one but Peter Jackson to make a LOTR film. The man is not only a brilliant director/writer, he is also a devote fan of Tolkien's work and takes these movies to heart.

I have faith that these films will rock socks off of people everywhere.

If any one can do this right Jackson can, honestly it says something about how much had to be cut down from the first three films that the shortest of the series can easily be spread over two feature length films. The Hobbit deserves the time as well, there are so many rich and enjoyable characters and scenes in that film that time should be taken to truly make it feel like a long and epic journey.

This has insane amounts of potential, a great framing device for the set up that is for those who care pretty much in tone with the cannon.... god Smog is going to be awesome!

There are two requirements for this film to survive, Gandalf alone can't cut it, even with Frodo keeping everything moving, all the dwarves are going to have to be good, but Thorin has to be spot on, and Bilbo has to basically be perfect, which is alot of pressure on the actor considering the "older bilbo" in the LoTR films put in an excellent performance.

Greg Tito:
Everyone knew that Peter Jackson would take liberties in portraying the comparatively short tale of The Hobbit over two films

Why isn't this just one single film again?

That's a point - any word on who is playing Smaug?

If I remember correctly he speaks.

EDIT: According to wiki, Christopher Lee, whilst expressing interest in reprising his role as Saruman, does not feel comfortable flying to New Zealand at his age. However, he did say that he would love [sic] voicing Smaug.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here