Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a New Subtitle and a Plot

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a New Subtitle and a Plot

Torchwood: The New World has a new name, Miracle Day, and a newly announced central conceit.

Showrunner Russell T. Davies spoke to reporters on the Television Critics Association press tour about the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, and made an announcement pertaining to the storyline for the upcoming fourth season. If you want to remain entirely unspoiled, you'll want to stop reading, but know that the announced information only concerns the season's central premise.

In Torchwood: Miracle Day, no one on Earth will die; the planet's population will be as immortal as Jack Harkness himself. TVLine quotes Davies as announcing, "The old stay old. It's great news for some people, but globally it's an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you're affecting everyone on the planet. That's where the Torchwood team comes in." This format appears to follow that of Torchwood: Children of Earth, which featured one large global issue with which the Torchwood team had to contend.

Torchwood: Miracle Day will feature some new faces, including Mekhi Phfifer, Bill Pullman, Arlene Tur, and Alexa Havins. The 10-episode series will air on both Starz and the BBC starting July 1.

Source: TVLine, Digital Spy

Ooooo... Yes! I love Torchwood. But I imagine this won't have as many nods to Doctor Who seeings as RTD doesn't have anything to do with it anymore.

Didn't Torchwood say all that needed to be said with Children of the Earth?

Yaaay ^_^ I have the biggest crush on Gwen.

Excuse me for a second...

FUCK YES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Should be good, right?

I still don't understand how anyone can like this show, was alright in gimmicky sort of way for a season or two, but its just so cheap and Davies is a terrible writer.

Wow, a 10 episode series, this should be good. I'm a little disappointed though, I preferred the old format of self contained episodes, with a secondary plot strung throughout the series. Still, it will be good, I'm just going to miss Ianto. And still miss Owen and Toshiko, hopefully the new additions to the cast will go some way to filling that void though.

Great. I suppose the plot will be as more mawkish than it usually is then.

There were good events in which it could've presented a mature story by not having teletubbies endings.

Yay! Although will Captain Jack actually be making an appearance? I'd guess yes, torchwood being what it is, and immortality being a factor.

Brilliant, I have been looking forward to this!

are.you.the.god.its.me.vader:
Yaaay ^_^ I have the biggest crush on Gwen.

I think I might have one on Jack.

J03bot:
Yay! Although will Captain Jack actually be making an appearance? I'd guess yes, torchwood being what it is, and immortality being a factor.

Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy will reappear.

Makes a change from the usual "kill thousands" storylines

Interesting. I like the sound of it already!

Elizabeth Grunewald:
Fourth Season of Torchwood Gets a Plot

Better ;)

"Torchwood: Miracle Day will feature some new faces, including Mekhi Phfifer, Bill Pullman, Arlene Tur, and Alexa Havins. The 10-episode series will air on both Starz and the BBC starting July 1. "

Gay! Air it on BBC:A you bastards!

My problem with the Torchwood series is now that we know who Jack REALLY is, it takes away from the series. Any and all hope over ever seeing find a cure has been absolutely crushed.

Good to see my guilty pleasure show is coming back. A shame we have to wait all the way till summer.

yay!! i loved torchwood, have been liking matt smith's doctor as well though maybe not as much as david tennant but hes pretty good

Elementlmage:
"Torchwood: Miracle Day will feature some new faces, including Mekhi Phfifer, Bill Pullman, Arlene Tur, and Alexa Havins. The 10-episode series will air on both Starz and the BBC starting July 1. "

Gay! Air it on BBC:A you bastards!

My problem with the Torchwood series is now that we know who Jack REALLY is, it takes away from the series. Any and all hope over ever seeing find a cure has been absolutely crushed.

Bad idea. BBC:A would have to censor it. Censorship sucks assballs.

Kinda tough for bbc A to show it when Starz are the ones making it in co production with the bbc, will be interesting to see how they cover the fact captain jack is in space still as of last xmas dr who story though i guess they could just say he came back sometime between then and the start of the series.

July is FOREVER AWAY. But I said that about the DW Christmas special too, I guess. I'm looking forward to this; hope Jack gets over his guilt mopey crybaby thing pretty quick, though, he's boring when he sulks.

Neat. Now I just need to know more about the whole American thing they're going to do...

ThePeaceFrog:
I still don't understand how anyone can like this show, was alright in gimmicky sort of way for a season or two, but its just so cheap and Davies is a terrible writer.

I'll give you a hint:

Quaxar:

I'll give you a hint:

John Barrowman can't act though. He can sing, he can probably dance as well. But I'll run the Plinkett coda over the entirety of Toshwood.

Describe their personalities without referring to their clothes, jobs or actor.

"The old stay old. It's great news for some people, but globally it's an instant population boom. Earth relies on people dying. Suddenly you're affecting everyone on the planet. That's where the Torchwood team comes in.

"Because killing old people is more than just a job. It's a professional sport."

DOWN WITH OLD PEOPLE

The_root_of_all_evil:

John Barrowman can't act.

Lies!

OT: I hated Children of whatever, they killed everyone on that show I liked (Jack as a character has been messed with beyond recognition, so in my eyes he's dead.) So I won't be tuning in.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Quaxar:

I'll give you a hint:

I'll go as far as describing my two favorites:

Owen was a cynic. He refused to seriously commit to any relationships because of how it destroyed him when his girlfriend died, and that only got worse for him when he eventually fell in love again and lost that person as well. He had an over-inflated ego, especially when it came to work, but that probably stemmed from a desire to actually live up to that perfect image of himself.

Toshiko was the closest thing to a purely good person the team had. Shy, amazingly intelligent, and basically selfless. Her self-worth issues might have stemmed from being used in the past, such as when her mother was kidnapped.

ThePeaceFrog:

I'd disagree, it was never alright.

Getting the pterodactyl to attack the fanservice cyber-stripper cause your security automatically locks you in with the monster and stops you from getting any guns (except for the guy who already had his, but was far too stupid to try firing it)...WTF? And they manage to keep this level of rubbish going consistently.

JediMB:

I'll go as far as describing my two favorites:

That's their histories. What are they "like"?

Meh. Davies is full of crap and can't do anything right. There have been very few things about Torchwood that I actually liked. Children of Earth was pretty bad in the sense that I knew what was going to happen a mile away, especially the whole thing about the children. It was a very unoriginal story, aliens want children, blah, blah, blah, blah, people die, stupidly initiated drama.

He needs to go do something that isn't in the Doctor Who universe. I always wondered why Steven Moffat took the angle he did when he took over and made the universe reboot itself in season 5. It was probably to make a story boundary between his stuff and anything Davies messes with in the future, because we know Davies isn't going to take what Moffat is doing with Doctor Who into account when writing Torchwood.

Though hopefully this new season of Torchwood means that Davies has dropped that abysmal idea about a Doctor Who movie that wouldn't cater to Doctor Who fans and would be against canon, just because he wants to be an ass as always.

The entire population stops dying? Just like Jack? Alright, who left the heart of the TARDIS out? And at the end everyone cries bullshit at once and it turns time backwards so it all never happened?
No, really. This really, really reeks of Russel T Davies's old tricks to me.

Erja_Perttu:

OT: I hated Children of whatever, they killed everyone on that show I liked (Jack as a character has been messed with beyond recognition, so in my eyes he's dead.) So I won't be tuning in.

It's Davies what do you expect from his writing. When he wants to change something, even if it makes no sense at all and will harm the show, he will do it.

I love David Tennant and all, my number one favorite Doctor, but Davies is one of the main reasons Christopher Eccleston only did one season of Doctor Who. Davies was a demanding git, and Eccleston didn't agree with how things were going, and that is why he was written out with the regeneration. Eccleston was great as the Doctor, he just didn't have much time to shine.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Quaxar:

I'll give you a hint:

John Barrowman can't act though. He can sing, he can probably dance as well. But I'll run the Plinkett coda over the entirety of Toshwood.

Well, Gwen is a know-all stupid bitch who cheated on her long-term boyfriend and never bothered to feel bad for it.
Owen is skilled in medicine but I have no idea ho he ever managed to get anygirl with his all in all unlikeable character, Tosh is a silent but awfully delusional techie who loves someone she obviously has no chance with. And Ianto was actually pretty egoistic since he joined Torchwood only to act against all rules and secretly keep his girlfriend alive but later stays for Jack.

There you go. I could probably add a little bit but quite frankly I'm too tired.

Quaxar:

Well, Gwen is a know-all stupid bitch who cheated on her long-term boyfriend and never bothered to feel bad for it.
Owen is skilled in medicine but I have no idea ho he ever managed to get anygirl with his all in all unlikeable character, Tosh is a silent but awfully delusional techie who loves someone she obviously has no chance with. And Ianto was actually pretty egoistic since he joined Torchwood only to act against all rules and secretly keep his girlfriend alive but later stays for Jack.

Wow...they sound...so much fun...

Ok, when you wake back up, describe Donna Noble's personality, or the Doctor's.

Edit: Bonus points, describe K9's, The TARDIS's and/or the Sonic Screwdriver's.

Oh brilliant, I love Torchwood just for how ridiculous it is. I also like the way they behave like people really would when first seeing an alien; less 'wonderful' and more 'shit!'

The only thing I don't like is how any problem could be solved by the application of their captured devices. Seriously, almost every problem in the series can be solved easily if they'd think it through.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Quaxar:

Wow...they sound...so much fun...

Ok, when you wake back up, describe Donna Noble's personality, or the Doctor's.

Edit: Bonus points, describe K9's, The TARDIS's and/or the Sonic Screwdriver's.

Heh, I take it you saw what i did there. It's just I don't really like Gwen or Owen, especially Gwen. Though I love the Welsh accent I always found her to be quite annoying and her affair didn't really help it either. I wish they had killed her off instead of Ianto...
And after Owen I kinda lost the thread and the motivation.

Describing the Sonic Screwdriver's personality? I like challenges!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.