Pose Fighting Scene in Bayonetta Is Metaphorical, Claims Creator

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Pose Fighting Scene in Bayonetta Is Metaphorical, Claims Creator

The suggestive sequence supposedly represents the deep rivalry that women feel towards each other.

Bayonetta is a pretty unique game, as anyone who's been exposed to it for more than a few seconds will agree. What's more, underneath the veneer of pole-dancing witches and gun-shoes, beats the heart of a deeply metaphorical work - or at least, that's what creator Hideki Kamiya says.

Kamiya said that his favorite part of Bayonetta is when the titular character meets Joy, her angelic doppleganger. The pair square off against each other in a pose battle, which is a little bit like a dance fight, but a lot more risqué. As you can see in the video - which isn't especially work safe - Bayonetta eventually wins the contest, forcing Joy to drop her disguise and show her true form.

On the surface, the scene is just another part of an already overtly sexual game, but according to Kamiya, it also represents the rivalry that all women feel towards one another. He said that every woman regards every other woman as an enemy, and that's the idea that he was trying to convey. Even women who pass each other on the street will check out how the other looks, he said, with antagonism possible in even those brief meetings. "Women are scary," he added.

I'm not especially qualified to start talking about how women think, but I'm not entirely sure that Kamiya is either. Still, it would be fascinating to find out what messages and metaphors the rest of the game holds, buried deep beneath the partial nudity and lollipops.

Source: CVG

Interesting, but I'm uncertain whether he had that intent on the get-go, or is just trying to save face.

Of course it wasn't there just to have the so-improportional-it's-weird-looking-at-her character do some more suggestive poses. Of course, not like the whole game was full of that shit.

I don't see any real sex appeal, just sluttiness and an overly long legged woman...

Logan Westbrook:
"Women are scary," he added.

Couldn't agree more.

Ya every time I go to the mall I see women in cloths story having random kinky posed dance battles to show their rivalry. Sound more like he's just wishing all women handled their hate for each other this way.

oh crap, that is the absolute worst thing he can say (and the "oh crap" is for the "games are art" side of things)
he would have been far better off saying something like "the battle with ones self is seeded in many mythologies as going beyond limitations and once the facade has been removed, this demonstrates what i have viewed as woman still being oppressed and encouraged to be 'sexier'". the way he has expressed this essentially paints him in a very bad light to woman

twistedheat15:
Ya every time I go to the mall I see women in cloths story having random kinky posed dance battles to show their rivalry. Sound more like he's just wishing all women handled their hate for each other this way.

I take it you aren't too familiar with the meaning of the word "metaphor".

Post fail

Logan Westbrook:
"Women are scary," he added.

"Women are scary, I don't understand them. Oh, and here are some boobs I made on my computer."

And game-geek culture is set back 20 years...

*sigh* Why do all women in most Japanese games have these over the top personalities that scream, "I'm a cranky bitch! Slap me!". I guess we will never know.

Okay. So what exactly is blowing up angels with atomic trumpets and tubas, morphing your hair into a giant fire breathing spider, hurling a church at a gargantuan flying head with dragons for arms, and lest we forget,

supposed to teach us?

Still, it doesn't stop the game from being totally fucking awesome.

Congratulations he's using Freudian Psychology. Move on nothing to see here.

I didn't buy this game, just because it wasn't good when I tried it and that it is full of over sexualized woman characters... Which I am deeply against, there is more in women that just physical sex appeal...

Still looks like a blatant jackoff fantasy to me.

Right. I'm sure it was all purely artistic, and had nothing to do with the chart the marketing guys came up with that showed a correlation between the amount of T&A in a game and the sales of that game. *eyeroll*

Or just a crappy game with silly ass gun shoes. Occam's razor and all that

Goldeneye1989:
Congratulations he's using Freudian Psychology. Move on nothing to see here.

Exactly.

There's an undertone of female rivalry in the scene.

Plus its boyish-fantasy-level sexy.

We already knew this, didn't we?

Tomo Stryker:
*sigh* Why do all women in most Japanese games have these over the top personalities that scream, "I'm a cranky bitch! Slap me!". I guess we will never know.

Perhaps its a fetish?

OT: Um, ok. I'm sure there's more subtle ways to express rivalry between women. Then again I'm a guy, so what the fuck do I know.

sure it is Kamiya. Catherine makes this game look like a childish grab for attention. It's hilarious how people have got their ideas backwards in thinking that Bayonetta is some sort of feminine ideal when in fact she's just another addition to the hyper-sexualized yet eternally chaste roster of females in the likes of Lara Croft or the Soul Calibu women.

dammit i need to pick up bayonetta! should probably do that when i go pick up GT5 it should be a greatest hits by then XD

edit: ho ho on the Joy reveal. Thats some metaphor!

That is officially the most retarded thing ever put into a video game.

I can't imagine gamers who enjoy well written games with subtle undertones being the same who want to look at kinky stick-insect women. All I can say is, I would never let my parents see me playing that game.

Well Joy's last pose definitely showed how around 5-10% of women feel about each-other :)

Tomo Stryker:

Try finding a real Japanese girl who acts like that. Culturally they're at the other end of the spectrum.
Edit: I didn't know the Escapist had a bot posting problem =/

Kogge:
I can't imagine gamers who enjoy well written games with subtle undertones being the same who want to look at kinky stick-insect women. All I can say is, I would never let my parents see me playing that game.

Oh, really? Because I routinely call my parents and friends over to watch me play it! I mean, seriously, I don't get how you wouldn't want someone to see you playing a game like this!

My point is that it's not exactly created with the idea of playing with other people around.

yea this is just raw sex appeal, their is nothing else of importance in this scene. This game never appealed to me, it was nothing but sex appeal for sex appeal. Why i never gave it a 2nd thought

Did you see the part where Joy's crotch glows like she's using a plutonium tampon? Yeah, that's certainly metaphorical for SOMETHING.

I like how people become downright hostile at the very thought of interpreting anything but a jackoff fantasy into bayonetta.

I played through this whole game and it was good but people just look at the sexual nature of the game and label it as smut but this game pretty deep.

IronicBeet:

Kogge:

Oh, really? Because I routinely call my parents and friends over to watch me play it! I mean, seriously, I don't get how you wouldn't want someone to see you playing a game like this!

My point is that it's not exactly created with the idea of playing with other people around.

Wow, you know how to use sarcasm. Except you used it to express exactly what I meant, yet somehow inferring that I'd said something stupid. Not every game has to be family friendly, but this is probably pretty embarrassing to own.

Riiiiiiight. That WASN'T just an excuse to have two Bayonettas in one scene doing sexy poses at each other. Gotcha.

Subtlety, thy name is Bayonetta.

9_6:
I like how people become downright hostile at the very thought of interpreting anything but a jackoff fantasy into bayonetta.

Probably because it's pretty insulting to our intelligence.

Hmm. I doubt that very muchly that it was intentional, to me it just seems like an excuse for saucy poses and... well... saucy poses.

At the end of the day though, I do find as a girl that it is harder to be friends or to hit it off well with a girl straight away. I have a lot of guy mates, and some of the girls they start seeing instantly hate me which is probably understandable but completely unjustified (surely they wouldn't be going out if we were theory) but even as friends, I know when I meet someone and they usually have the same look that we know we're not going to get on.

Don't know what it is. Always got on better with guys than girls when it comes to friends.

He clearly said that aloud by accident, then made up a reason for it on the fly.

Women who have all their self-worth tied up in being sex objects do this, Mr. Kamiya, but NO ONE ELSE. Geez, sexist much?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here