GSC Shines Some Light on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GSC Shines Some Light on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

GSC Game World has posted a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Q&A on Facebook that doesn't actually reveal much about the game except that it will be bigger, better and still a PC-centric game.

GSC Game World hasn't had much to say about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 since it announced the game in August of last year and to be honest, the Q&A it recently put up on Facebook doesn't do much to change that situation. But it does serve up a few tidbits that will hopefully be enough to keep the rabid S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan base sated for at least the next year or so.

Much of what it reveals isn't terribly surprising. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will abandon the aged X-Ray engine that powered the first three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles in favor of new, proprietary multi-platform software, and will tell a new story with new characters, although "some good old ones" will return as well. The game will feature "more of a survival element," whatever that means, and although it will apparently bring S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to consoles for the first time ever, the PC version won't suffer as a result.

"Since we develop primarily on PC, you won't see any compromises in the PC version," the Q&A says. "The key difference between the PC and console versions will be the beauty of graphics (meaning PC will offer more visual effects)." The new game will support DirectX 11 and GSC also promised that interface options like the map and inventory won't be affected by the move to multiple platforms.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will take place in the triangle between the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, the city of Chernobyl and Chernobyl 2, the former Soviet military installation containing the famous, massive "Steel Yard" radar antenna. Faction wars are out, new mutants are in and there will be more "X-Labs" and other underground complexes to explore and be terrified by.

That's about it, really. GSC declined to answer questions about things like the possibility of more advanced NPC interactions or whether the Zone will be one giant playing field or divided up as it was in previous games, so there's still a lot left to learn. We'll probably have awhile to wait before we find out, too; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 isn't expected to come out until sometime in 2012.

Please, please, please be open world!
If there's one thing that discoraged me, and this is a personal thing, was the real lack of going nuts and anywhere but where I'm meant to be like in the new Fallout games.

But still, more survival elements will be welcomed by me as I <3 hardcore mode in Fallout: New Vegas plus the harshness of the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :P

Hmm... a Multi platform release... I suppose I can get one of my friends to play it but I'll be getting it on PC definitely...

I'm also looking forward to the more survival elements... I hope it brings back the skull crushing difficulty of the first 2 games Call Of Pripyat was too easy for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game...<.<

My money's on the console version getting delayed, Witcher 2 style.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. STALKER: CoP is one of my favorite FPS/RPGs.

I hope they're learning from the mod community too as far as what people really want.

Screw it, this is my most anticipated game of the next two years. I'll take any news I can get, even if it's just as a sign that development is continuing. Bets on it actually coming out in 2012, anyone?

More survival elements sounds great. Here's hoping for one great big undivided sandbox.

MORE X LABS YOU SAY?!

STALKER is one of, if not my absolute, favorite series of all time. It probably has the best modding community out there none the less. Just look at stuff like STALKER complete, AMK and AtmosFEAR. I'm sure things will only get even more amazing with STALKER 2.

Hey, as long as they don't dumb it down I'm all good. But since they're saying that the only difference will be visual fidelity, it sort of suggests that PC gamers will have to conform to the consoles limited interface.

Might as well transcribe my thought process:

Much of what it reveals isn't terribly surprising. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will abandon the aged X-Ray engine that powered the first three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. titles in favor of new

YAY!

proprietary multi-platform software

BOO!

and will tell a new story with new characters, although "some good old ones" will return as well. The game will feature "more of a survival element," whatever that means

YAY!

and although it will apparently bring S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to consoles for the first time ever

BOO!

the PC version won't suffer as a result.

DOUBLE YAY!

"Since we develop primarily on PC, you won't see any compromises in the PC version," the Q&A says. "The key difference between the PC and console versions will be the beauty of graphics (meaning PC will offer more visual effects)." The new game will support DirectX 11 and GSC also promised that interface options like the map and inventory won't be affected by the move to multiple platforms.

TRIPLE YAY!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 will take place in the triangle between the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, the city of Chernobyl and Chernobyl 2, the former Soviet military installation containing the famous, massive "Steel Yard" radar antenna.

YAY!

Faction wars are out

BOO!

new mutants are in and there will be more "X-Labs" and other underground complexes to explore and be terrified by.

YAY!

Well, let's stay hopeful! STALKER was a really good game, but one which unfortunately suffered from having all of its most promising features removed. It's still one of my favourtie FPSs of the past decade, however, and I'll look forward to more STALKER. Oh, and more murdering those nightstalker things. VENGEANCE!

I'm cool with getting a shitty console port of a PC game.

PC gamers are used to getting screwed, I don't mind getting screwed over on occasion.

Hell, I played F.E.A.R. 1 on consoles.

Cuy'vul Dar:
MORE X LABS YOU SAY?!

STALKER is one of, if not my absolute, favorite series of all time. It probably has the best modding community out there none the less. Just look at stuff like STALKER complete, AMK and AtmosFEAR. I'm sure things will only get even more amazing with STALKER 2.

I usually run and go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh get off me, get off me !" when doing that level, so I'm definitely looking forward to more labs.

Also, I wish for a 3dsmax exporter one day :( They updated the SDK for CoP this month, but helas, still no luck on that side.

Multiplatform? Uh oh. This could either go one of two ways:
1. The game is a lot easier and you don't die as fast (bad).
2. The game won't go over very well on consoles because it isn't like Halo or Call of Duty where you can take a hundred bullets to the head and live while the enemies only take a 9mm round to the toe to die (good).

Half the fun of the game was that you couldn't go running in guns blazing...

Chrono212:
If there's one thing that discoraged me, and this is a personal thing, was the real lack of going nuts and anywhere but where I'm meant to be like in the new Fallout games.

But still, more survival elements will be welcomed by me as I <3 hardcore mode in Fallout: New Vegas plus the harshness of the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :P

Did you play Call of Pripyat, the newest one? It had a more open world to it, as the world was only subdivided into three major sections.

Either way I'm psyched for the next game. I really hope they've worked out thier issues with 4A Games and can use the 4A Engine (which was basically a fixed and better looking X-ray) or something of that caliber for STALKER 2. The only thing that worries me is the same thing as always, hope they've learned finally how to make better end segments. The final areas of all three STALKER games so far have been awful. The warzone outside Chernobyl in SoC and the entirity of Pripyat in Call were just beyond bad, when the rest of the games up to those point were amazing.

Jennacide:

Chrono212:

Did you play Call of Pripyat, the newest one? It had a more open world to it, as the world was only subdivided into three major sections.

Either way I'm psyched for the next game. I really hope they've worked out thier issues with 4A Games and can use the 4A Engine (which was basically a fixed and better looking X-ray) or something of that caliber for STALKER 2. The only thing that worries me is the same thing as always, hope they've learned finally how to make better end segments. The final areas of all three STALKER games so far have been awful. The warzone outside Chernobyl in SoC and the entirity of Pripyat in Call were just beyond bad, when the rest of the games up to those point were amazing.

I enjoyed the hell out of Shadow of Chernobyl.
Isn't the A4 Engine what they used for Metro 2033? if it is, it looks sort of ok on the Xbox but not great...

In all honesty the less we know now the better because we don't want to get too hyped up in advance. Does anyone really expect the game to be out in 2012?

Assassin Xaero:
2. The game won't go over very well on consoles because it isn't like Halo or Call of Duty where you can take a hundred bullets to the head and live while the enemies only take a 9mm round to the toe to die (good).

Why is it doing bad on consoles a good thing? Surely if they do well on consoles they get more money, and more money = more good games.

Also, BOO FACTION WARS BEING OUT

GiantRaven:
In all honesty the less we know now the better because we don't want to get too hyped up in advance. Does anyone really expect the game to be out in 2012?

After the release debacle with SoC, I don't expect to be out until the day after hell freezes over. But hey, at least they did deliver a (mostly) functional game, so here's to hoping...

i just started playing stalker, got it for 2 dollers on a sale, enjoying it so far.

STALKER SOC was one of the best games of all time. It dripped with atmosphere and you can tell how lovingly each environment was crafted.

It is a member of the holy trinity of STALKER, Deus Ex, and System Shock 2 as games you could lose yourself in.

The whole "quest hub" feel of COP took away too much of the loneliness. Other than the famous but really short bloodsucker lair scene there wasn't any "fear" moments like pantswettingly scary X labs of SOC.

I hope the team takes the "Oblivion Lost" mod as their inspiration because that is really the way the game was MEANT to be.

I'm a bit sad they didn't try to make the zone bigger. When looking at the map, the triangle of the zone they want to include is pretty much 99% forest. Why I would be fine with that (the Red Forest in SOC was so disappointing imo), I'm still hoping that one day we'll get a full scale zone. I'm a big fan of exploring , especially the Zone.

I wouldn't mind at all having to revisit the CNPP and Pripyat, but in CoP Pripyat was to empty, yet in SOC the whole area was a warzone. I havent seen them do it right yet,

Evil double post.

If this one proves itself to be less buggy than an Obsidian game, and my character's hands aren't constantly coated in a radiation that causes rifle barrels to near instantly corrode when touched, and I get some armor that's worth something I'll take interest.

Assassin Xaero:

I wouldn't worry, they promised that the console is just a secondary port (they're probably just testing the waters, seeing if consoles is even interesting at all for bringing money).

Chrono212:
Isn't the A4 Engine what they used for Metro 2033? if it is, it looks sort of ok on the Xbox but not great...

No it's not the same engine: some of the guys* from GSC left after Soc and did Metro, but they made a new engine. I wish they would merge back together however: Metro definitely could benefit from the stalker spirit and length of gameplay, and [my beloved] s.t.a.l.k.e.r. could benefit from some more intense cinematic.

*are there no kickass female developer in Ukraine btw ? It's only guys in the dev teams as far as I could tell :(

dogstile:

Assassin Xaero:

Why is it doing bad on consoles a good thing? Surely if they do well on consoles they get more money, and more money = more good games.

How would dumbing it down to the generic style of Halo/Call of Duty, instead of staying true to its difficulty be a good thing? Like I said, half the fun of the game was because it it wasn't like those other generic shooters were you could survive being shot a billion times. I'm just saying it probably wouldn't go over well because it isn't as easy as most shooters. Hopefully Demon's Souls proved that games can be difficult and still survive, but if they make this another generic shit shooter, I'm done with STALKER, and probably FPS games in general.

As a side note, these fucking captcha things are really getting on my nerves. If they are going to stay forever, at least get ones that are legible.

I've played bits and pieces of Shadow of Chernobyl and some of Call of Pripyat, and I mainly prefer Chernobyl simply because the gunplay wasn't as jumpy and fucking recoiling everywhere like Pripyat was. I feel like I'm a complete newbie in the STALKER world, I never felt like I was playing it "right", you know?

I hope they refine some of the gameplay aspects with it. While I know that it's based somewhat on realism with the weapon degrading and recoil and stuff, it'd still be good if they refined the gunplay aspect to it.

Friggin' AK47, jumping all over the goddamn place.

Assassin Xaero:

dogstile:

Assassin Xaero:

How would dumbing it down to the generic style of Halo/Call of Duty, instead of staying true to its difficulty be a good thing? Like I said, half the fun of the game was because it it wasn't like those other generic shooters were you could survive being shot a billion times. I'm just saying it probably wouldn't go over well because it isn't as easy as most shooters. Hopefully Demon's Souls proved that games can be difficult and still survive, but if they make this another generic shit shooter, I'm done with STALKER, and probably FPS games in general.

As a side note, these fucking captcha things are really getting on my nerves. If they are going to stay forever, at least get ones that are legible.

No, you're reading my words wrong sir.

How would it doing bad on consoles be a good thing. I personally still think it won't be dumbed down.

A PC game ported for the consoles?! 'hyperventilates'

THE WORLD IS ENDING!! The Mayans were right!
Hope they keep it a PC game though. Easy, bouncy console ports are disappointingly common.

wildpeaks:

Chrono212:

No it's not the same engine: some of the guys* from GSC left after Soc and did Metro, but they made a new engine. I wish they would merge back together however: Metro definitely could benefit from the stalker spirit and length of gameplay, and [my beloved] s.t.a.l.k.e.r. could benefit from some more intense cinematic.

*are there no kickass female developer in Ukraine btw ? It's only guys in the dev teams as far as I could tell :(

On the one side, it's an ex Soviet Union state where communism was preached, which is another word for "equality". On the other hand, you don't have militant feminists demanding to be appointed CEO of a company on the basis that the company would be sexist if they didn't have a female. I wouldn't say there's none in the business, but given the lack of political correctness where Thou Shalt Hire A Female Regardless Of Skill isn't as common, on a percentage basis you'd expect to not see many at all. Given first the amount of females in the industry, and secondly how many Ukraine developers make it to the world stage. I know of.. Two? GSC and 4A Games. And 4A Games is ex GSC, with no female devs. So out of the 20 Ukraine devs I have heard of, none of them are female.

I guess the point of that was, video games is an emerging industry, so the amount of sexy female devs will be low enough to pretend there is none. Russia might have some though. And Russians are as hot as Ukrainians

Best thing in the entire post is "Faction Wars are out"

Buggy as hell in Clear Sky not what stalker is about. If I wanted to deal with factions and all that bullshit I would play something else.

There wasn't any faction wars in COP so i'm not worried about that.
I want to know if they will they still keep the loading times when transferring from one map to another...isn't it better to make the zone into one big awesome place like in fallout 3? but still i'm loving the small details they're giving bout the game!!

More survival elements? Oh dear god... this game will be impossible to finish!
-tabs<3-

STALKER 2 needs Call of Pripyat's game-play with Shadow of Chernobyl's atmosphere. CoP was my fav stalker, but the zone felt a bit too "tame" and safe.

Andy Chalk:
Faction wars are out, new mutants are in and there will be more "X-Labs" and other underground complexes to explore and be terrified by.

Yay, so once again I can POO MY PANTS (metaphorically) - personally I found the mutants and locations in SoC and CoP scary enough, but if GSC can do better, bravo to them; I'm waiting to jump out my skin again, because the two aforementioned games were brilliant. I always felt the X-labs were the worst (scariest that is) bits in the game and if they can outdo them and add more of them, then that will make a REALLY scary game*. So already I have something to look forward to in 2012 and this year has only just begun, wait, actually we're already 24th of the way in (aieee!). All I can hope is they beef the AI up a bit and this could become a very influential series.

Cuy'vul Dar:
MORE X LABS YOU SAY?!

I admit I have never done X-18, but now that I have the game again, I will and I bet that it will scare me more than any "horror" game such as the Resident Evil games (personally, they were a let down - I had expected a bit more atmosphere).

*I know people complain that any game where you can riddle the enemy with bullets isn't scary, but I think STALKER bucks that trend; psychic enemies attack you from hidden locations and Bloodsuckers are still rather menacing with their speed and invisibility, even when you have the best stuff. I do hope though that new mutants are more of that sort of brand; unnatural and unsettling.

Edit: Lol that is a brilliant cartoon by the way - watched someone doing X-18 up to that bit and thinking "ohhhhhhh that looks bad..."

dogstile:

Assassin Xaero:

dogstile:

No, you're reading my words wrong sir.

How would it doing bad on consoles be a good thing. I personally still think it won't be dumbed down.

Ohhhh... I get it now. I dunno, if they wanted to conform and make more money or something. I didn't think it could happen, but when I saw videos of Crysis it looked like MW2 with nano suits.

Chrono212:

Jennacide:

Chrono212:

I enjoyed the hell out of Shadow of Chernobyl.

Yes, 4A is what powers Metro 2033. It looks only okay on the 360, but holy jesus it looks good on the PC. If you go into the ini settings and turn on a few settings you can't normally access like Global Illumination, the graphics become mind blowing. Metro 2033 was actually the first game to use GI, and you wouldn't think it's that big a deal until you see it in action.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here