Capcom Accused of Exploding Platformer Plagiarism

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Capcom Accused of Exploding Platformer Plagiarism

Capcom's MaXplosion is a little too close to Twisted Pixel's 'Splosion Man for comfort.

Many gamers took notice of Twisted Pixel's 'Splosion Man when it was released on Xbox Live Arcade in July 2009 as a fun platformer with a unique take on moving the main character around (hint: explosions). Twisted Pixel is somewhat miffed about a new iOS game recently released by Capcom Mobile called MaXplosion that appears to be a major rip-off.

'Splosion Man introduces a main character who makes his way through a laboratory by creating explosions within himself. MaXplosion is a game about a little devil that moves about a laboratory by creating explosions within himself. Yeah, it's not looking very good for Capcom.

For comparison, here's a video of a 'Splosion Man level, followed by one for MaXplosion:

On Twitter, Twisted Pixel programmer Mike Henry wrote that he's "definitely pissed off." He continues: "There's a right way and a wrong way to go about being "inspired by" another game. Borrowing is great. Hell, we do it all the time. But that game is a complete theft."

Twisted Pixel CEO and co-founder Michael Wilford makes Capcom look even worse. "Best part is, we originally pitched 'Splosion Man to Capcom and they said no," he tweeted. Ouch.

Granted, MaXplosion is a mobile game, and there are enough mobile clones available to circle the universe three times, but 'Splosion Man's key mechanic is very specific. To me, Capcom releasing MaXplosion is like a major publisher creating a game called Super Jumpio Bros.

Twisted Pixel is a much smaller outfit than Nintendo, so maybe Capcom thought they could sneak one by. Parallel thinking is entirely possible, it's just not very likely in light of Wilford's reveal. Twisted Pixel recently announced the future release of 'Splosion Man sequel Ms. 'Splosion Man, so if we eventually see a female MaXplosion we'll know for sure that Capcom has lost its scruples.

Source: CVG

The copyright infringement is strong in this one...

Tom Goldman:

Twisted Pixel CEO and co-founder Michael Wilford makes Capcom look even worse. "Best part is, we originally pitched 'Splosion Man to Capcom and they said no," he tweeted. Ouch.

Through all of the bullshit lawsuits, THIS people, is why we have copyright laws.

Throw the fucking book at them, if it was just the game mechanic than MAYBE it would be alright, but don't tell me it's a fucking coincidence that they even used a little red colored dude.

I mean seriously, they couldn't even choose a DIFFERENT FUCKING COLOR!?

Kick their asses Twisted Pixels.

Same 'splosion channel, same 'splosion time.

Yeaaaa i really noticed that when i first heard about Capcom's version.

I wonder how far this will go.
Then again......SNK's King of Fighters series is still going...

.... Should have made the character move by farting. No one would have every known....... Hmmmmmm. That's not a bad idea. I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!!! I CLAIM COPYRIGHT!!!!

anyone who is pro piracy should be 100% pro capcom on this, cause all copyright laws are evil. or so they say

me personally, this is low for capcom

luvd1:
.... Should have made the character move by farting. No one would have every known....... Hmmmmmm. That's not a bad idea. I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!!! I CLAIM COPYRIGHT!!!!

Not so fast!
*moves hand slowly before your eyes*
This is not the game idea you're looking for...

Am I the only one who is also getting a reminiscence of Sonic the Hedgehog (back when he wasn't shit)? I hope they get sued inside out.

And they didn't even have the decency to make it a good ripoff. Capcom of all people should be able to make a decent platformer, or at least steal one and not cock it up.

Not cool, Capcom. Cloning an indie company's game? So not cool.

psrdirector:
anyone who is pro piracy should be 100% pro capcom on this, cause all copyright laws are evil. or so they say

So, you decline publishing a game, then turn around and make almost the exact game, only much worse, on a phone? Oh, wow.

Road Brawler!
Inhabitant Malevolence!
Falcon Lefft: Master Legal Counsel!

I would think Capcom was old and wise enough not to rip off the small ones by now. I guess this shows us that every company got their problems.

Capcom could have at least bothered to make theirs look half as fun as the original. It's a theft of the original AND an insult to it at the same time!

Hopefully Capcom will be receiving a nice legal letter right about now...

So they had an offer, turned it down. Then made a blatant ripoff, but made it worse... Damn they suck.

Hadn't everyone called bullshit on this game when we first heard about it? Why has it taken so long for the Splosion man people to figure it out?

psrdirector:

you can be pro piracy and still think that this kind of idea stealing is wrong. not that I'm pro piracy but i see why some people would see no reason to pay to see a movie or play a game (again, not that i agree) but still see the film/game itself as an idea that belongs to a person and shouldn't be stolen. there's a difference between just seeing/playing it without paying and just copying the idea.

Gigaguy64:

G.T.F.O, first of all, If there was any controversy on SNK ripping off S.F, was with Art of Fighting, not KOF, and please, get your facts right, SNK created super special moves, MAX super special moves, taunts, dodges, dash, running, cancels, hyper cancels, body toss/grab escape, hit counts, tag team, strikers, character intros, SPECIAL characters intros, etc, etc, etc. Don´t get me wrong, capcom fighters are great, but SNK have been ALWAYS ahead.

Anyway, I do love Capcom but this shit is low, It doesn´t surprised me too much though, Capcom ain´t that big creative power house It used to be.

Aside from Capcom's game looking a lot less fun, this really is pretty much a shameless rip-off.

Still, I don't know if it's technically copyright infringement. Sure, the games are similar, and they feature the same "explosion" mechanic, but the levels are technically different and the main character isn't named "'Splosion Man". As much as I hate to say it, I really don't think Capcom will face any real legal trouble for this.

Wow... Way to be Capcom. Way. To. Be.
What's next?
Bishop's Aisle? Bloodthirsty Legacy? Abandoned 2 Perish?
I could go on :D

KeyMaster45:
Hadn't everyone called bullshit on this game when we first heard about it? Why has it taken so long for the Splosion man people to figure it out?

I'm guessing the delay isn't in Twisted Pixels, but in the Escapist

I doubt that they will take Capcom to court over this. Capcom is a titan of the industry, I doubt Twisted Pixel could even afford to take them to court.

Probably this game isn't going to sell to well now though. Since everyone knows it's a terrible rip-off. That will probably send the message to Capcom to not do that again.

Er sorry you can not patent gameplay design themes.... you can just make a good first impact and dwindle in qauilty over the years like everyone else...

bolastristes:

Gigaguy64:

G.T.F.O, first of all, If there was any controversy on SNK ripping off S.F, was with Art of Fighting, not KOF, and please, get your facts right, SNK created super special moves, MAX super special moves, taunts, dodges, dash, running, cancels, hyper cancels, body toss/grab escape, hit counts, tag team, strikers, character intros, SPECIAL characters intros, etc, etc, etc. Don´t get me wrong, capcom fighters are great, but SNK have been ALWAYS ahead

Someone cant take a joke.

Seriously, i know SNK was a major point in many of the Fighting Mechanics still used today.
I was more or less referring to the Characters themselves, and even then just Ryu and a couple of others.
Chillax man.

And i actually think Capcom is a bit better in terms of accessibility and fun.
Most SNK fighters are too slow paced and technical to get into easily.
Hell, there is even SNK Boss syndrome, named specifically for the BS that SNK allowed some of its Fighters to get away with.
But that's just my opinion.

Erm. I watched both of the youtube links.

Both games seem completely different to me.

Maxplosion is Sonic The Hedgehog if he could jump 3 times. The character even curls into a ball like Sonic, has to collect things in the level and has a similar layout to Sonics' platforming.

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM

Yep. Saw a promo for it in an issue of IGN and I was pretty much appalled. A friend said they were upset because it(the titular character) looked like Mega Man, but eerily didn't notice the similarity to 'Splosion man. Perplexing...

Piracy occurs when you steal a product, which is not the same as copyright infringement or plagiarism. Capcom isn't stealing 'Splosion Man to play it for free. They're stealing the concept it to make money off of it. You can be anti-copyright infringement and be pro-piracy.

Bakuryukun:
I doubt that they will take Capcom to court over this. Capcom is a titan of the industry, I doubt Twisted Pixel could even afford to take them to court.

It really would sadden me if nothing came of this- Capcom should have the book shoved right up their tight shitty arse, then detonated in a series of amusing explosions through two and a half dimensions.

Like you said though, it's unlikely...

Oh my god this is great! It's like we're back in the 90s and every company had to have an animal mascot with attitude.
This is a return of the good ol' fashion character rip-offs the likes of which hasn't been seen since my childhood.

Unless you count the billions of grizzled, short haired space marines, but that's just kind of accepted as being an art style choice at this point

God, even the music and the character's mentally deranged laugh is the same. This is, this is just so blatant of a rip-off. You'd expect that from an unknown app developer, but frickin' Capcom?

Tom Goldman:
snip

=Cries and burns his design document for Super Jumpio Bros.=

Even the gag with the vending machines, Capcom? Terrible. I'm with you, Twisted Pixel. Inspiration and theft are two totally different ideas. Even without much cause, a three-explosion jump through a scientific facility destroying vending machines and collecting points along the way is a pretty unique game. Sorry, guys.

same color scheme, same lvl layout, same basic enemy elements, hell, even the music sounds the same but slower

this looks bad for capcom.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.