Arizona Shooter's Forum Posts Reveal Disturbed Individual

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Arizona Shooter's Forum Posts Reveal Disturbed Individual

Jared Lee Loughner, accused of gunning down six people including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson, Arizona, made some pretty disturbing posts on a forum related to the game Earth Empires.

As we now try to sift through the tragedy in Arizona over this past weekend, more and more about the alleged killer's past will come to light. Today, the Wall Street Journal reprinted several posts that Jared Lee Loughner made on the forums for a text-based MMO called Earth Empires in the last year. In Earth Empires (a continuation of Earth: 2025) you control a country and either wage war or engage in diplomacy with other players. According to high school friends, Loughner also played Diablo and the first StarCraft when he was younger. Loughner used the forums on Earth Empires to communicate with other players about some very personal issues. These posts portray a strange individual, who had felt rejected and downtrodden his whole life and that he was concerned with containing his rage.

"Does anyone have aggression 24/7?" Loughner posted on May 9th, 2010 at 2 am. When others in the thread suggested he smoke marijuana to calm himself, he replied, "No weed. No drugs. It's not like I can't see my brain."

Some of Loughner's ramblings are even more nonsensical. "Would you hit a Handy Cap Child/ Adult?" was the title of a thread he started on April 24th with the following text: "This is a very interesting question ... There are mental retarded children. They're possessing teachers that are typing for money. This will never stop ... The drug addicts need to be weeded out to be more intelligent. The Principle of this is that them c- educators need to stop being pigs."

I have no idea what that means.

None of his posts on the Earth Empires forums specifically mentioned Rep. Giffords or that he was planning an attack but some of them reveal that he was capable of violence.

Another thread he started was called "Why Rape" and it suggested that women implicitly agreed to rape by consuming alcohol. "There are Rape victims that are under the influence of a substance," Loughner wrote. "The drinking is leading them to rape. The loneliness will bring you to depression. Being alone for a very long time will inevitably lead you to rape."

In other posts, he complained about his inability to gain or keep a job because of his mental instability. "I had to walk out of red robin," he wrote. "Terrible situation. Mental breakdown." He also listed 21 stores and restaurants that he applied for work, none of which asked him in for an interview. When some of his fellow gamers pointed out that he should write a resume and form a list of references, Loughner went on a tirade, repeating the line "CANT HOLD TERMINATION AGAINST FUTURE EMPLOYEE !" 117 times.

Other members of the Earth Empires were disturbed that one of their small community would act in such a way. "This is an immeasurable tragedy, and it pains me that someone from our close-knit community could be involved in such a heinous act," one of the forum administrators wrote on Sunday.

Source: Wall Street Journal

Cue Jack Thompson rantings. And video games made me do it.

At least he didn't go on 4chan... People would be clamouring for an excuse to investigate it.

Great, now we found out that this psycho played video games well before the shooting spree. Sigh, here we go again...

*turns on Fox and MSNBC and waits patiently*

What a nut job.

Surprisingly, I've yet to hear anyone make the claim, or insinuate that video games led to his attack.The closest thing I've heard to being a cause, aside from his alleged mental instability, was the politically charged hate speech spewed forth by people like Glenn Beck, Sarah Pallin and their supporters.

Oh my god; it's Mr. Clean.

He looks disturbingly like Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street, Blizzard's lead balance designer for World of Warcraft.

Jesus! Just look at the guy! He looks like a damn lunatic!

Cue the whining about how this is effects games, of all things. I mean, really? A man kills six innocent people, and your first thought is "Yes, but are my videogames ok?" Jesus, people, get your priorities straight. Let's just drop the whole "prosecution complex" thing. It only works when someone is ACTUALLY attacking games, which they aren't doing here. Besides no one's listened to (just for example) Jack Thompson for YEARS now.

NOTE: This post is directed at no one in particular. Just thought I'd point that out.

EDIT: Oh, and that whole "CANNOT HOLD TERMINATION AGAINST FUTURE EMPLOYEE" 117 times thing....very creepy. I mean, hell, that's ripped right from "The Shining".

Crazy person is incited by violent/hate/fear inciting political themes to commit violent act.

Shocker.

Next week:

Crazy person is incited by Willy wonker and the chocolate factor to buy all the chocolate from the local shop.

Next Month:

Crazy person is incited by religion to commit act of craziness against enemy of said religion.

A theme develops and then people use intelligence/education to realise that words always have consequences.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Cue the whining about how this is effects games, of all things. I mean, really? A man kills six innocent people, and your first thought is "Yes, but are my videogames ok?" Jesus, people, get your priorities straight. Let's just drop the whole "prosecution complex" thing. It only works when someone is ACTUALLY attacking games, which they aren't doing here. Besides no one's listened to (just for example) Jack Thompson for YEARS now.

NOTE: This post is directed at no one in particular. Just thought I'd point that out.

True, considering there was a 9 yo girl there who was also killed. I know it's prolly bad to think about the NEVERTHELESSx9001 on that H&H tools terminal in New Vegas but I mean if someone wrote that stuff on a forum, I would alert SOMEONE at least. Have the admin do something about getting him some help. Gosh. Get his I.P. send someone over there like a cop just to check on him.

Wow this guy is a bit of a psycho, but there isn't enough evidence there to suggest that games caused it for even fox news, as all we know is he played earth empires, and went on some forums

I would have called the cops on him before it happened. Hell, just look at him!

That picture will haunt my nightmares or it would if I ever had nightmares.

Is anyone else glad he wasn't a fan of call of duty or halo? Imagine if he was a fan of Gears of War.

It is still a tragedy, but since he didn't get to kill himself(the gunman in these situations almost always kill themselves), maybe someday we will get definitive answers as to why he did this.

sravankb:

It's not how he always looked. Here's another photo: http://newsone.com/files/2011/01/Jared-Lee-Loughner-in-Mar-007.jpg

Tharticus:

Number of forum topics about unspeakable incidents where the first page is packed with "everybody gonna say vidja gaems didit" seen since I joined: 432 and counting.

NOTE: This post is directed at everyone in particular. Seriously folks, have some dignity.

EDIT: Ok, those posts don't tell me much. I see similar "I'm totally not trying to be controversial. I'm honestly wondering why [insert something depressing here]." type posts on this forum daily.

Good thing none of us are like that. Right?

News shitstorm in 3, 2, 1...

That's one creepy motherfucker. Sorry, but what else is there that I could say? He's clearly insane, and he managed to kill a number of people. The real question ought to be how somebody like him managed to get a hold on a gun...

Why did someone count how many times he said 'CAN'T HOLD TERMINATION AGAINST FUTURE EMPLOYEE!'? It must've taken them a while.

He is obviously mentally unstable first and foremost. Don't worry about the games, guys. Nobody could think that the games made him do it unless they were a complete idiot.

I wonder if/when they convict him if he is going to jail or to a 24/7 psych hold for the rest of his life? I hope he doesn't get off scott-free because of his insanity. What he did was just awful.

Tharticus:

Not videogames, Blizzard. If he'd played something else... who knows?

TimbukTurnip:
Why did someone count how many times he said 'CAN'T HOLD TERMINATION AGAINST FUTURE EMPLOYEE!'? It must've taken them a while.

He might've numbered them.

There has always been nutjobs, and there always will be nutjobs who are nutjobs because there mum didn't love them enough or just for no good reason at all. Even by the picture, this guy is clearly a wacko (Its the fucking smile). The posts he made also emphasize that...

I'm just glad he didn't live near me... I don't think politics had anything to do with it, he was just a nut who shot up six people, one of whom happened to be a politician.

Those who take my words seriously, that was sarcasm. I apologize for the inconvenience. Of course I ignore those people who did research about his background and then the media exaggerates this too far.

Tharticus:

The Journal article was very even-handed and didn't blame gamers for Loughner's madness---I mean, just look at the guy. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.

Reed Spacer:
Oh my god; it's Mr. Clean.

More like Mr. Clean's distant cousin who is always locked up in a basement and eats rats. The is followed by rolling up his feces into little balls and eats his crayons.

OT: Looking at that disturbing smile of his all I can do is paraphrase Robin Williams and say that he's more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.

Accused? The guy was tackled mid-gunfire and we're going to say he's "accused"? Right to fair trial and all that but seriously but when you catch the gunman in the process of shooting people any trial is simply a formality to decide if he's bat-shit insane and deserve being sent to the looney bin.

-EDIT-
I nominate him to be the poster boy of crazy people. I mean come on just look at that picture the Joker himself couldn't do any better.

Am I a bad person for thinking "Uncle Fester" as soon as I noticed his picture?
Well, I didn't shoot anyone, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, it's always terrible to hear about people like this ruining other people's lives.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

EDIT: Oh, and that whole "CANNOT HOLD TERMINATION AGAINST FUTURE EMPLOYEE" 117 times thing....very creepy. I mean, hell, that's ripped right from "The Shining".

And a lot of the time, no one ends up mentioning the thing against games anyway.

Is that his picture up there? Because that is the creepiest fucking thing I have ever seen, ever.

Tim Latshaw:

sravankb:

It's not how he always looked. Here's another photo: http://newsone.com/files/2011/01/Jared-Lee-Loughner-in-Mar-007.jpg

That's clearly a fake smile. He was a depressed lunatic waiting to happen.

ARREST THAT MAN!!

TimbukTurnip:

Or they copy-pasted it in a Word document then did a word count on it.

OT:

While this isn't about the shooter, I wanna say this: Giffords got shot in the head and is still living, and is also recovering pretty well. Badass, and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Anyway, that guy does seem to be a crazy & creepy son-of-a-bitch.

Why haven't they forced a mental examination on him before?

I coulda told these people that this guy was disturbed even before it was discovered that he posted disturbing things on forums... After all, he did shoot 20 people, and 6 of them died. I'm still waiting on the whole "guns kill people, we must ban them and shit", to which i will respond "If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat and pencils misspell words".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here