Capcom Marooning MvC 3 Rage Quitters on Quitter Island

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Marooning MvC 3 Rage Quitters on Quitter Island

If you quit matches often enough in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, it won't be long before your only opponents are other quitters.

Capcom has come up with what is possibly the ideal solution for rage quitters in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Rather than let them hop from game to game, disappearing like cowardly ninjas if it looks like they're going to lose, Capcom will simply isolate them, so that they don't spoil anyone else's fun.

The game will monitor player's connection habits, and if it notices that a particular player frequently pulls out of matches at the last minute, it will start to mark him or her down for it. These black marks will affect whom the game pairs you up with online, so if a player persists with his or her vanishing act, eventually the only people left for him or her to fight will be people with a similar fondness for quitting matches.

Capcom used a similar system in the Wii game Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and while there were some complaints about it in that game, it's likely that the experience will have helped Capcom to refine its approach. Presumably, this system will only affect habitual quitters, as it seems pretty unlikely that Capcom is going to banish someone to the hell of rage quitters just because their internet connection is a little flaky.

Hopefully, it will also allow players to earn back some trust through good behavior, because after playing against nothing but rage quitters for a prolonged length of time, at least some of them will learn their lesson.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 15th.

Source: GamesRadar

Finally!

If you quit, you lose. What is so hard about that?

I think you made a typo at the bottom, it says Marvel Versus Capcom 2.

Logan Westbrook:
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Fate of Two Worlds ...

Just a heads up =P

OT: Well it sounds like a good idea. How strict is it though? And how many strikes before you're out?

EDIT: Oh DAMN NINJAS!

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: Fate of Two Worlds comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 15th

Might want to knock that number up a notch!

OT: Love the idea, wish it was used more often in other games, would sort out the players who want to play the game properly and have a fair fight from the ones that are looking for easy wins and want to have a stupid win/loss ratio

YES!
This pleases me.

You have no idea how angry rage quitters make me.
Especially if they are a high Rank.

That's awesome! I don't see why they can't just count disconnects as losses, however.

SomeLameStuff:
EDIT: Oh GLORIOUS NINJAS!

Fixed that a bit for you, I don't wish to be damned....

$20 says someone complains "I paid X amount of dollars for this game! That can't stop me from quitting!"

I, for one, love this idea. It's good to punish those who make a habit of quitting when they're losing.

VanityGirl:
$20 says someone complains "I paid X amount of dollars for this game! That can't stop me from quitting!"

I, for one, love this idea. It's good to punish those who make a habit of quitting when they're losing.

To which I will tell them, "They're not stopping you, if anything they're making sure you get to play with like minds. See they love you."

That's a brilliant idea.
It'll end up with people getting hit once and quitting the other quitters. AWESOME.
No sarcasm, by the way.

megs1120:
I don't see why they can't just count disconnects as losses, however.

That's because it's not so easy to distinguish quitting from legit connection losses, and it's not so easy to tell who the quitter was. And false positives are not well received by players either.

I would assume you'll only get banished if you make a habit of it, if like 10 of your last 15-20 matches you disconnected from. Or it could just track disconnects as a stat and pair you up with those who have a similar quit percentage.

Fearzone:

My thoughts exactly. Even if you lose connection because your ISP is crap, i still say it gives you a lost. That's the chance you take when you play an INTERNET game.

Y cater to the few when the majority are rage quitters?

I don't really care about this game, but this seems like a real good way of working around Rage quitters, although it'll only really work in games like this.

Now if only there was something to filter out the 7 year-olds swearing on fps games.

Two words:
Awe Some

Fearzone:

I never understood that either. In any real life game, if you leave the match early, you forfeit (lose). Plain and simple. I never understood why more games don't adopt this approach.

Now if only more developers would follow this example.

Big_H:
Two words:

Fearzone:

I never understood that either. In any real life game, if you leave the match early, you forfeit (lose). Plain and simple. I never understood why more games don't adopt this approach.

Most games I've encountered do have rage quits count as a loss. The problem is that it's not fun for the people who get rage quit on.

I don't play MvC at all but this idea is great.

I've actually gotten to the point of when I am beating the crap out of someone in a sports game online, that they request a mutual quit with 3 seconds left.

Fearzone:

Well I suppose it all depends on the mentality of the player involved. Some players it would really annoy to have it affect there win/loss streak where othes wouldn't care as long as the got to beat someone (then shout abuse at them for being so lame)

I really love this idea, but then I would be as sadistic to go a step further and label players as "sore losers" in their stats and remove some functions/characters until they behaved themselves :p

"Right for being a douche I am removing your favourite played character until you can play nice"

I've always wondered, is it like the law to put that "X will come out on Y" line at the end of everything? It just seems so awkward sometimes

Greatest idea ever. I know a certain someone who will definitely have to contend with this as he is the biggest sore loser I've ever met. Actually leaves online games of NHL 11 if his opponent scores the first goal of the game. -_-

I am so sick of hearing "rage quit". I never heard it until L4D, and in the game, no matter what happens, if you quit it is a "rage quit". I had to go to work one day, and apparently it was a rage quit. I was playing verses one day and the other team had to resort to blasting some annoying ass music across the mic... but... erm... that was a "these guys are stupid pricks" quit... >_>

Does it count if you quit at the start?

Cause in BlazBlue, when people whip out their Jins at you, I usually leave before the fight even starts.

But overall - nice idea.

Fearzone:

They'll live to quit another day, this system actively punishes people which is wonderful for the saddist in me.

Battenbergcake:

Fearzone:

They'll live to quit another day, this system actively punishes people which is wonderful for the saddist in me.

I like this system because you have to quit often to get the black marks, that way people who have genuine reasons for quitting (say need to go work or some emergency, etc) or suffer from internet problems won't get penalised.

megs1120:
That's awesome! I don't see why they can't just count disconnects as losses, however.

Worked for Battle.net I think people are over-complicating these thing.

Sounds like a damn good idea o.o! Especially since (if I read that correctly) it doesn't penalize people like me who have crap internet connections.

Thank Jebus on a pogo stick, I was hoping they'd impliment a system like this.

While I agree that disconnects should ALSO count as a loss, I'm fine with this as well.

I never understood exactly why people hated rage-quiters so much... until I started to run into them myself. There's nothing more irriating than being on a losing streak, finally have luck turn your way and almost win a match, only to have the other player bail at the very last second.

To paraphrase Yahtzee, "It's garment-rendingly frustraiting."

Eh, the problems associated with ragequits apply much more to team-based games. In games like Halo or League of Legends, in which people can't join a game after it's already started, a quitting teammate mars the experience for everyone else involved.

While this solution is definitely a good one, a ragequit in a 1v1 match really isn't that much of a problem, because the other person just wins the match. I hope that more games begin to adopt similar systems, though.

Vault Citizen:

Battenbergcake:

Fearzone:

I like this system because you have to quit often to get the black marks, that way people who have genuine reasons for quitting (say need to go work or some emergency, etc) or suffer from internet problems won't get penalised.

Quitting = Losing has precedent (no matter if it is intentional or Internet problems). In real time strategy games, when it it clear you are going to lose, the players exchange "gg"'s, and the loser quits rather than playing out another 5-10 minutes it would probably take to finish the game. It is a system that works fine. If it is obvious you are going to lose is it really necessary to continue to play?

Like I said, it is how it is done in RTSs. It is problematic only if you are playing on teams and your team member "rage quits"-- and then it is a problem only for you, not the opposing team. And that's on you to choose your teammates better. For 1 vs. 1 battles, I don't see why there is any problem with quitting early so long as it is registered as a loss.

Fuck yes.

This is simply genius, Capcom. Now stop copying off other games you rejected in the first place!

Gigaguy64:
YES!
This pleases me.

yes, same here, its so frustrating to play against an opponent for almost an hour, about to lay down the final blow!

xXproblemnahtzee?Xx has left the game

DRAW!

speaking of which what game is your avatar from?

NAHTZEE:

Gigaguy64:
YES!
This pleases me.

yes, same here, its so frustrating to play against an opponent for almost an hour, about to lay down the final blow!

xXproblemnahtzee?Xx has left the game

DRAW!

speaking of which what game is your avatar from?

Its from Tatsunoko VS Capcom.
an awesome fighting game with an Online mode that is unfortunately rife with Rage Quitters....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.