Sega Unveils Disappointing Dreamcast Collection

Sega Unveils Disappointing Dreamcast Collection

Four classic Dreamcast games are heading to a console near you. Not every console though, and you might have two of the games already.

Sega announced that it was working on a Dreamcast retail collection last month, prompting squeals of excitement from the console's dedicated fan base. Fast forward to today, however, and the details of the collection may turn those squeals from delight to dismay.

Sega's Dreamcast Collection will contain four games: Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5: Part 2, Crazy Taxi and SEGA Bass Fishing. Each game will receive some extra spit and polish in the graphics department, as well as online leaderboards and achievements.

If that particular quartet of Dreamcast games seems familiar, and you're scratching your head trying to figure out why, then ponder no longer. It's because they've also all either been announced as downloadable titles for XBLA and PSN, or are already available. Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing are due for release in the not too distant future, and Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi have been available since September and November respectively.

Still, their availability elsewhere may actually be a good thing, at least for PS3 owners, as it looks like the collection is Microsoft only. The official press release for the collection prominently mentions the Xbox 360, and also gives the PC a quick nod, but leaves the PS3 out in the cold. There's every chance that it will come out on the console later, but there's no clue as to when that might be, if it does actually happen at all.

Hopefully, this is just the first instalment of Dreamcast classics we can look forward to, as there's plenty of titles that people would love to play again, not to mention titles they haven't already bought. Sega's Dreamcast Collection comes out for Xbox 360 and PC on February 22nd in North America and February 25th in Europe. Hopefully a PS3 release will follow on soon after.

Source: CVG

Crazy Taxi?

WITH THE SONGS OR WITHOUT?

And I'm waiting for a collection with Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2.

Then I can die happy.

... that's it?! No Jet Set Radio?! Just games already released/to be released on PSN and XBLA on a disc?!

Well, looks like I'll be avoiding this collection. I already have a Dreamcast anyways, so if I really need to play those games I'll just break her out, dust her off, and play. Still disappointing that I won't be able to play JSR in glorious HD.

Already have Sonic Adventure...

Might get Crazy Taxi one day, definitely looking forward to trying out an updated Space Channel 5 :D

I hope they release more titles though, this collection doesn't seem for me.

Is there any indication on price?

Aren't Sega and Sony both Japanese companies? Seems a bit odd to leave the PS3 out of the mix, unless this is a "western branch" thing.

Pfft...and here I was hoping the original Phantasy Star Online would make a triumphant return.

The only Dreamcast collection I want is one with Shenmue and Shenmue II.

matrix3509:
Pfft...and here I was hoping the original Phantasy Star Online would make a triumphant return.

JediMB:
The only Dreamcast collection I want is one with Shenmue and Shenmue II.

You two pretty much summed up my feelings :(

What a terrible collection, major disappointment...

Come on, release some of the more rare/obscure titles that deserve more recognition.

Ugh this is the best they could come up with?

PASS

Talk about your pieces of crap.

Will Crazy Taxi come with "All I Want" by Offspring? If not, then pass.

Here's what an awesome compilation would be:

Power Stone 1+2, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Shenmu 1+2

Now that would be a compilation that people would buy.

Toy Commander. Make this and I will sing thy praises Sega.

Sega Bass Fishing? Why?

>.> that's what they're putting in the collection? I fear that the low level of sales these will get (or deserve to get considering they're already available through download) will just dissuade sega from making further collections which would be a shame as I would love to get back to powerstone and have a try of shenmue.

Although Shenmue II was brought out on the Xbox, it wasn't the same as playing it on the DC. especially as the items I started with on the Xbox version were inferior to those I'd earned in Shenmue I on the DC. I'd still love that series to be finished tbh.

I was almost certain that Crazy Taxi had been re-released on the last gen and we all know that Sonic Adventure was sandwiched into Sonic Mega-Super-Collection-Compendium at every available opportunity along with Mean Bean Machine and Flicky.

I'd rather have seen Samba Di Amigo in there.

Least they didn't put in Chu Chu Rocket I guess.

Still, I don't really call 4 games a collection, especially given the lifespan of the console. It's a "compilation" at best.

Personally I would really like to see a Sega Saturn collection become available on XBL or PSN. The Saturn had some great titles that were just overshadowed by the PS1.

I thought they were supposed to release powerstone and darkstalkers for all systems? Or, are they only for the psp?

Good to see sega hasn't changed after all these years, they still know how to p**s good money down the drain for no reason. And the point of making a retail disc is.....?

Disappointing Dreamcast collection? I wasn't aware there was any other kind. First, it's SEGA, so disappointment should be expected no matter what. Second, it's Dreamcast games. I think the only thing more disappointing than a collection of those would be a collection of Game.com games ported to the DS (much like the Dreamcast, nearly all Game.com games were awful).

Monshroud:
Personally I would really like to see a Sega Saturn collection become available on XBL or PSN. The Saturn had some great titles that were just overshadowed by the PS1.

Agreed, just reading this made Panzer Dragoon Saga and Sonic R spring to mind. A few old Saturn re-releases would be a welcome touch to the marketplace

I was hoping for Jet Set Radio, Rival Schools, Project Justice, and Sword of The Berserk: Guts' Rage. I will get Sonic Adventure someday but I'll wait for more of the ones that I want to play to be released.

BabyRaptor:
Sega Bass Fishing? Why?

I liked Sega Bass Fishing. *walks away in shame*

OT: I was hoping they'd make a larger collection. And did they polish up the graphics on the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure?

You know it's all a ploy to make more collections by going with this selection of games.

Personally, I'd buy Crazy Taxi for 10 bucks on it's own.

Edit: SA2 was way better and there is no Jet Set Radio, I am disappoint.

That's not really a collection so much as a small grouping.

Crazy Taxi is the only one worth it, really.

Microsoft can keep the collection for all I care. Such a... god, ripoff.

Two games seem good, that's it.
I never played that space channel game, but it seems a little too much like DDR, and well, I shouldn't have to say jack squat about Bass Fishing, besides "who in their right frackin mind would play that garbage?".

Leave it to Sega though to balance great games with equally shitty games.
Sega Genesis Collection? Frackin sweet.
Dreamcast collection? Beyond disappointment.

It's disappointing when out of all the games that they pick for a collection, it's a fishing game and a game that's already ON the XBLA/PSN.

VanityGirl:

BabyRaptor:
Sega Bass Fishing? Why?

I liked Sega Bass Fishing. *walks away in shame*

OT: I was hoping they'd make a larger collection. And did they polish up the graphics on the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure?

No, that came out wrong. It just seems to me that fishing games are simple, not hard to design, and it would be cheaper just to make a new one.

Disappointing doesn't even describe how I feel about this crap collection.

There are so many problems with this release that I don't even know if I want to begin with it being Xbox/PC only, or that Sega Bass Fishing is part of this "must-have" collection, the fact it's only 4 titles or that two of them have been released on the PSN/XBL since September/November. I don't even know what to say to this. Ridiculous comes to mind.

Where is Jet Set Radio? Where is Shenmue? Where are the GOOD games? Sonic Adventure (with DX upgrade no less) has been out since September, and Crazy Taxi has already been here since November. Assuming most people who want this title already have those two games, you're probably looking at $40 USD for two less-than-stellar games. Congrats, Sega, this is a piss-poor decision on your part and, for once, I don't care that it's not been announced for the PS3. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their cruel joke on the Microsoft crowd, because this is some amazing failure.

I swear, I'm feeling deja vu. Sega honestly cannot be coasting on the same rehash of Crazy Taxi and Sonic, with a "HD" sheen. Bass Fishing is hardly something to remember, and there's a reason Ulala isn't around anymore. GBA, anyone? Honestly, I'm upset by the lack of games like Skies or even Shenmue. Hell, I'd love to see a reworking of Daytona or something we haven't seen in a good long time. Now that they actually have some technological ability behind them, too. It's just sad to watch Sega these days...

No Skies of Arcadia no sale, I'm sorry. That game defines my Dreamcast and I will buy it over and over again and enjoy it everytime.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here