Capcom Denies Stealing Twisted Pixel's 'Splosion Man Concept

Capcom Denies Stealing Twisted Pixel's 'Splosion Man Concept

Capcom Mobile is frowning over the controversy surrounding MaXplosion's similarity to Twisted Pixel's 'Splosion Man, but doesn't admit to theft.

Capcom Mobile released a smartphone title called MaXplosion in early January, which to Twisted Pixel looked like a blatant ripoff of its Xbox Live Arcade title 'Splosion Man. Capcom Mobile issued a statement in response, saying it was "saddened" by the situation.

The nail in the coffin appeared to be the reveal that Twisted Pixel previously pitched 'Splosion Man to Capcom, which rejected the game. According to Capcom Mobile, it had no knowledge of that pitch, as its offices are totally separate.

Capcom Mobile's statement reads: "While Twisted Pixel did have discussions with our console game team about publishing 'Splosion Man on game consoles, Capcom Mobile is a different division of Capcom with separate offices and as such, had no prior knowledge of any meetings between the console game team and Twisted Pixel." It goes on to say that MaXplosion was developed "independently" by the offices of Capcom Mobile.

The statement doesn't offer any kind of explanation for the similarity between MaXplosion and 'Splosion Man, but I have a feeling the lead designer probably got a stern interrogation about his/her inspiration. Capcom Mobile only said it's "saddened by this situation," and hopes to rebuild the trust of the gaming community somehow.

MaXplosion is still available for purchase, with no indication that Capcom Mobile plans to halt sales. The truth behind the design of MaXplosion, and whether it truly was "complete theft" as Twisted Pixel says, will likely never be known.

Source: GameSpot

Keep lying to our faces without shame.

Don't buy one ounce of this, really don't. Capcom, you already wrecked the trust of mines a long time ago.

Wow...just watched the comparison video...they did they totally completely did rip the idea off.

Where as CAPCOM would come out and say they DID steal the idea <.<

Of course they would deny it. its asinine to assume otherwise.

So it wasn't a corporatewide ripoff, but a ripoff contained to only one section of the corporation? The buck has to stop somewhere.

Yeah, Farmville was basically an exercise in cynical plagiarism but Zynga still managed to be voted best developer on the escapist. This sort of thing is pretty common.

The fortunate thing is that Capcom's version of the game is vomit-inducingly ugly and looks like it was designed by a high schooler for Newgrounds. We all know which one is the real game.

They know they fucked up.

What's worse, the game looks like shit.

I hope their asses get sued, what that quote basically said to me was:

Yeah we totally stole the game, but we didn't know he pitched it to us originally, shit, that makes us look bad........crap

More Fun To Compute:
Yeah, Farmville was basically an exercise in cynical plagiarism but Zynga still managed to be voted best developer on the escapist. This sort of thing is pretty common.

No they didn't, they lost.

That March Madness was my Vietnam, we held the line.

you know

I think that Capcom is just pulling out a lil' trolling here along with Twisted Pixel, I really do

or maybe it's a Capcom-made expansion pack for 'Splosion Man

..Yeah, Capcom. Not buying for it for a fucking second.

I have to say that I'm on Twisted Pixels side here. It's a blatant ripoff and I bet the guy behind it was at the console offices during the pitch before working at the mobile offices and hoped no one would notice the similarity.

Eh...I'm pretty torn here. On one hand, yeah, it's an obvious rip off. Seems pretty clear. But on the other, well, this kind of thing has sort of been going on forever. All my early days as a gamer was weeding through the crap in order to find those few good titles. Why should it be any different today?

So, I'm not saying it was a good idea for Capcom Mobile to rip off 'Splosion Man. They probably shouldnt do anything like that again. But do they have to take it down? No way. And should we expect them to say anything beyond what they already have? Again, no. It's embarrassing enough that they were caught. And like I said before, rip off artists will always be a part of the videogame industry.

On a side note - kind of says something about your concept! Like, remember when everyone called other FPS games DOOM clones? That was true until the bar was raised for the genre as a whole. Then it was Quake Clones. I'm not saying that side scrolling exploding action games will become a genre, just that its pretty damn complimentary to have your concept played through again like that.

Tom Goldman:

Capcom Mobile's statement reads: "While Twisted Pixel did have discussions with our console game team about publishing 'Splosion Man on game consoles, Capcom Mobile is a different division of Capcom with separate offices and as such, had no prior knowledge of any meetings between the console game team and Twisted Pixel." It goes on to say that MaXplosion was developed "independently" by the offices of Capcom Mobile.

Translation: "It wasn't me! It was my brother, who is totally not me wearing a fake mustache!"

'Splosion man is a much better product that maXplosion. Maybe it's the mobile device, but 'Splosion man seems to be of a much higher quality.

DaxStrife:

Tom Goldman:

Translation: "It wasn't me! It was my brother, who is totally not me wearing a fake mustache!"

just like how doctor Ned is totally not doctor Zed :P

Why would they even think about designing a game like this! It is obvious that it is a rip off, they might as well be truthful whilst they are ahead.

DaxStrife:

Tom Goldman:

Heheh, that made me think of Borderlands.

OT: I find it hard to believe they didn't know this game existed when it's so similar, even the art style and level design seems similar.

What matters is which is better :3

That is a poor excuse, considering that 'Splosion Man had good word-of-mouth going for it, at the very least.

If Medal of Honor could get away with it, Capcom can.

The game is a BLATENT copy of 'Splosion man.

In fact it is so obvious that i actually think it must be an accident because it's simply impossible that nobody creating the game thought that no one would notice.

Tom Goldman:
The nail in the coffin appeared to be the reveal that Twisted Pixel previously pitched 'Splosion Man to Capcom, which rejected the game. According to Capcom Mobile, it had no knowledge of that pitch, as its offices are totally separate.

AND PEOPLE!! I SHOW YOU!! THE BLAME GAME!!!

most companies work in divisions not because they are different areas, or different market, but to avoid centralizing the "blame" of things, imagine, Twisted Pixel sues Capcom, Capcom goes to court and says "it was not our responsibility, it was of our branch which also works as an independent firm, Capcom mobile" and so Capcom movile goes and says "WE NEVER KNEW THEY PITCHED THE IDEA TO CAPCOM, and they told us nothing"

so they go forth and back blameing each other to see who is "legally responsible"

they take their time and Twistel pixel runs out of money, and the case is dismissed

AND if for some miracle they actually put the blame in Capcom Movile (because blaming Campcom himself is rediculous) they just close the officess, send a public apology and go their merry way, giving nothing to twisted pixel, or at least not a big piece of the cake, because the jury would have to base its "moneraty gain" out of the responsible, in this case "Capcom movile" which does not handle even the thirth part Capcom handles.

When confronted with two explanations for a problem, the simplest is more often than not the real deal.

Which is more likely to you?

Copying an idea, essentially making it a rip-off?

or

Someone, somewhere, had the same exact idea for a game, with more or less the same effects, the same game play and extremely similar levels?

That's a no brainer.

Wait... so you mean to tell me that Grandma's Boy is somewhat based on a true story?

While they were shamelessly stealing ideas why the hell didn't they steal the control system from Shift? Morons.

Sure thing, Capcom, sure thing... *wink wink*

This controversy reeks of Capcom's blatant effort to create a 'Splosion Man facsimile for themselves. Blaming a "separate" division is a comical effort that paints them as nothing more than the highly inept bad guy hiding behind a mind-numbingly vacuous fabrication.

1. Capcom Console Division is presented with 'Splosion Man idea
2. Capcom snubs the idea
3. 'Splosion Man succeeds on Xo Live Arcade
4. Capcom Mobile, a completely separate division within Capcom, releases their own MaXsploion (read: ripoff)

But it's not as though after (1.) and a bit after (3.), Capcom Console Division made a phone call over to the team at Capcom Mobile. No sir, as emails and phone calls cannot possibly be shared between entirely different segments of a company, no way no how.

Fuck you Capcom. I hope you end up like Troika Games.
Capcom needs to have their bullshit ripoff pulled from sale and they need to be heavily fined and legally have the book thrown at them for this shit.

Blah...I'm so pissed I can't even form coherent sentences...

Really one of the cases where I whole-heartedly endorse double standards.
If two giant corps rip each other off, that is one thing,
but if ONE giant studio rips of a rather small developer, that probably NEEDS every bit of money it can get.... I don´t know, that´s just wrong.

I also really like how they stress that this division IS HOUSED IN DIFFERENT OFFICES.
By god, if only we had invented a way to share information over a distance larger than 2 feet.... if only.

No one said this yet?

Pants On Fire!

:D

-Gift.

Jesus MaXplosion looks so terrible. 'Splosion man flowed real well while the latter was pretty boring, even though it was for iPhone.

No, just no. Fuck you Capcom. I sat by as you milked and mutilated the Resi series. This i won't stand for though, i mean what happened to having original ideas?
Anyone remember that?

Stealing from an indie developer is like stealing bread from a starving child.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.