The Office Is Hiring: Steve Carell Leaving Before Season's End

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Office Is Hiring: Steve Carell Leaving Before Season's End

The actor will be departing the NBC sitcom four episodes prior to the end of the season, leaving his management position up for grabs.

By this point, most fans of The Office know this is Steve Carell's last season as bumbling boss Michael Scott. HitFix's Alan Sepinwall caught up with showrunner Paul Lieberstein (who also played Toby on The Office) and got a rundown of how Carell's departure will work. The biggest news is that Carell will not see through to the end of this year, but will rather bow out with four episodes left in the season.

In the world of the show, Michael Scott's role as regional manager will not be filled until after his departure, leading to a scramble to fill the managerial void. The show's executive producers are considering three "internal" candidates: Andy (Ed Helms), Darryl (Craig Robinson), and Dwight (Rainn Wilson). External candidates will also be up for the position, but Lieberstein specified neither actors nor roles when discussing this development.

Lieberstein also noted that the new regional manager will not be the new star of The Office, rather, the program will move forward as an ensemble comedy. Two familiar faces will be returning soon, as Michael's ex Holly (Amy Ryan) will make her final appearance this season, and his "BFF" Todd Packer (David Koechner) will likely return in the upcoming eighth, although he won't prove as entertaining without Michael there to worship him.

Source: HitFix

Send a escapist member.
Can't be a better office.

PixelKing:
Send a escapist member.

I wanna see either Butts or Funk if that were to happen...;)

Yeah they announced this back in May or June last year, but they haven't really started the story arch that leads to him leaving yet. It will probably have to do with Holly, though. Steve carell is great and probably one of the most decent fellas in TV or movies, but this show needs a big change to get it going again. Seasons 1 and 2 were excellent, season 3 was masterful. 4 and 5 were meandering. 6 and 7 have been very hit or miss. They need to get Jim and Pam out. As likable as they are, those two haven't been funny in years, and they don't have any drama either.

therandombear:

PixelKing:
Send a escapist member.

5-10 years time....The Escapist Office on Fox!

PixelKing:

therandombear:

PixelKing:
Send a escapist member.

If they made a TV show about the Escapist Offices I think the camera crew would just be shot down with nerf guns and Kross would shout some german lines from his fort...I'd totally watch it! xD

Please don't give it to Dwight! Please, please, pleeeeeeease, for the love all that is holy, do NOT give it to Dwight!

therandombear:

PixelKing:

therandombear:

If they made a TV show about the Escapist Offices I think the camera crew would just be shot down with nerf guns and Kross would shout some german lines from his fort...I'd totally watch it! xD

Wound'nt even need funding.

Just cardboard boxes

PixelKing:

therandombear:

PixelKing:

Just cardboard boxes

Just get a bunch of carboard boxes and carve them into cubicles and write with crayons "Escapist Offices" Kross could do it as a 1 man sketch even since he's so good with boxes :>

therandombear:

PixelKing:

therandombear:

Just cardboard boxes

Just get a bunch of carboard boxes and carve them into cubicles and write with crayons "Escapist Offices" Kross could do it as a 1 man sketch even since he's so good with boxes :>

We could be in business friend. <Grins>

Oh man, if they pick Dwight I would so go back to watching The Office.

PixelKing:

therandombear:

PixelKing:

Wouldn't even need funding.

Just cardboard boxes

We need green light from the Führer first though, this can't be done without Kross.

therandombear:

PixelKing:

therandombear:

We need green light from the Führer first though, this can't be done without Kross.

This has turned into me and you dicussing world domination the escapist show.

PixelKing:

therandombear:

PixelKing:

Atleast we have given some ideas to a new Escapist Show though...maybe it can air when ENN is on break, every second Thursday? :>

therandombear:

PixelKing:

therandombear:

Atleast we have given some ideas to a new Escapist Show though...maybe it can air when ENN is on break, every second Thursday? :>

<Glee> I would love this to actually happen. Think of the ratings!

Ive heard so many rumors...my favorite probably being Ricky Gervais coming and filling it. Its an epic pipe dream, will never happen, but still. How great would that be.

PixelKing:

therandombear:

PixelKing:

*waits for email from Escapist with offer to be a part of this project*

therandombear:

PixelKing:

therandombear:

*waits for email from Escapist with offer to be a part of this project*

Could'nt personally.
*Don't check email
*Age don't wish to specify
*English
*No communication method
I would try :)

Elizabeth Grunewald:
snip

Does not bode well. The removal of Michael Scott interferes with a lot of character dynamics. If a character comes in and tries to fill that role, it'd feel fake and drive away viewers--the classic "stepdad syndrome." If it's a new character with a new dynamic, they're going to have to rebuild a lot of character infrastructure to get things back on track, and in the meantime they'll likely lose some of the folks following since the beginning. It'd be like a reset.

I think they really should have just used this as a place to end the series. They had enough notice to really make a good ending of it... I just think next season is going to be a zombie of the show many have come to know and love.

I heard a rumor somewhere about Micheal Emerson having a small chance to replace him. Now that would make the ratings shoot up like never before.

Its just not going to be the same without Michael Scott........ Personally I would love Toby to be the boss as his dryness and seriousness could lead to some potentially great episodes. Since that's not going to happen I believe the best would be Andy as Dwight annoyed me during his episodes as "boss".

Dwight is good as the character that thinks he's the best employee and trying to reach that head position, but ultimately falling short everytime.

shadyh8er:
Please don't give it to Dwight! Please, please, pleeeeeeease, for the love all that is holy, do NOT give it to Dwight!

If memory serves, in the UK version when "the boss" (David Brent) left Dwight's equivalent (Gareth) did take over. It was a much more somber and grey, yet realistic and believable conclusion.

It's about time. Michael Scott went from funny to annoying very fast after season 2. Now he's just an idiot, and the show has taken a drop in intelligence as well.

Maybe I'll still watch... I'm sort of forcing myself to watch it right now, because I have seen every episode and want to see how it ends. I'm not a big fan anymore, but it's still interesting to see what happens. And Andy, Dwight, and Ryan are hilarious.

CK76:

shadyh8er:

If memory serves, in the UK version when "the boss" (David Brent) left Dwight's equivalent (Gareth) did take over. It was a much more somber and grey, yet realistic and believable conclusion.

Yes. Although there was a Christmas special which returned to the Office a year or so later, and was masterfully done.

It's always worth pointing out that the British Office comprised two series (plus the special), or 13 episodes - so seeing that the US version is talking about its eighth is astonishing...

Eh, I love "The Office", but it kind of peaked at the 3rd season. That's not to say that it's been bad non-stop ever since, they've just never quite recaptured the quality it had at that time.

The British version was better. I never understood the need for Americans to remake British intellectual property.

This happened three seasons too late to get me watching again. I made it ten minutes in to the episode with Jim and Pam's wedding, got absolutely bored to death, shut the TV off, and haven't watched The Office again since.

To be perfectly honest, though, I was already disenchanted with the series by that point. It was when Angela suddenly started licking her cat over a web cam that I realized the show I enjoyed was dying that slow, painful death of IWS, or 'Incompetent Writer Syndrome'.

DustyDrB:
They need to get Jim and Pam out. As likable as they are, those two haven't been funny in years.

This, its just like Frasier when Niles and Daphne got together the show lost its edge.

It'll do a SCRUBS. Cling on for dear life and drown.

Two words: Ricky Gervais!

-edit-

ultimateownage:
The British version was better. I never understood the need for Americans to remake British intellectual property.

Because Ricky Gervais is not only hilarious, he also enjoys giant sacks of money too!

Meh it's the American version, bring back the English.

Hire this man for the job, NBC:

fucking hire him

I stopped watching about 3 years ago...

It's a good show and all, but I don't feel like catching up.

This makes it so that I never will want to.

How about Ricky Gervais?

It has always been a crappy show, it should just be taken off the air anyway! It's never been funny. It's boring as fuck!

-Climbs down off his soap box-

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.