Mainstream Sitcom Set to Finally Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mainstream Sitcom Set to Finally Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively

The ensemble of NBC sitcom Community are going to toss some dice playing Dungeons & Dragons over the course of an upcoming episode.

Community has quietly become one of the most innovative situational comedies on American television. The show follows Joel McHale playing a disbarred lawyer who's forced to re-enroll in college where he befriends several characters there including Pierce Hawthorne played by elder comedian Chevy Chase. Show creator Dan Harmon continues to take risks that transcend the normal one camera sitcom formula. This Christmas, the show featured an entire episode in claymation as an homage to the old specials like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. But Harmon's geekiest departure may be an upcoming episode centered on the group of community college students playing a session of Dungeons & Dragons and might be the first time in a while that mainstream television doesn't just retread the gaming stereotype.

"They'll just be sitting at a table playing," Dan Harmon said. "But there are [style choices] that will make it really interesting."

I can only imagine that given the show's reputation we'll get images of the character's, um, characters as they fight monsters and gather loot.

This won't be the first time that a major network show featured its cast playing the classic tabletop role-playing game. The last aired episode of Judd Apatow's Freaks and Geeks showed Daniel Desario played by James Franco enjoy a particularly memorable session as Carlos the Dwarf.

And one cast member of Community is pretty familiar with role playing as he appeared in the comedy film Role Models as the LARP King Argotron. Ken Jeong plays an unhinged ex-Spanish teacher named Señor Ben Chang in Community and I can't wait to see what kind of character he rolls in the D&D-themed episode.

Source: Deadline

I love watching Communnity so I can't wait for this episode to be air!

Scarim Coral:

Speed post
OT:About time.

They've never done this on The Big Bang theory? That's such a pot stereotypical bullshit I'm amazed they haven't milked the DnD thing.

manythings:
They've never done this on The Big Bang theory? That's such a pot stereotypical bullshit I'm amazed they haven't milked the DnD thing.

Big bang usually milk cartoons, video games and TV shows, can't really think of anytime that Sheldon, Leonard, Raj or Howard have referenced DnD or tabletop gaming in general.

OT: Knowing how long until episodes get shown on TV here, I guess this episode won't be on TV here until August =/

therandombear:

manythings:

Big bang usually milk cartoons, video games and TV shows, can't really think of anytime that Sheldon, Leonard, Raj or Howard have referenced DnD or tabletop gaming in general.

OT: Knowing how long until episodes get shown on TV here, I guess this episode won't be on TV here until August =/

They have used it. Bill Prady has asked for fan input regarding D&D on his twitter.

OT: Can't wait to see this ep. My DVR goes nuts on Thursdays and I usually grab community on Hulu but now that Always Sunny is over, I'll have space to grab it on time!

I hate Community. It's not funny in the slightest, the characters aren't likable and the plot is extremely boring. *Mr. Negative*

Arkhangelsk:
I hate Community. It's not funny in the slightest, the characters aren't likable and the plot is extremely boring. *Mr. Negative*

Some of the characters aren't meant to be likable at times, and the plot is different for every episode. You must have decided you hated it halfway through the pilot.

Chevy's character is the funniest he's been since the 80's or early 90's.

Xzi:

Arkhangelsk:

Some of the characters aren't meant to be likable at times, and the plot is different for every episode. You must have decided you hated it halfway through the pilot.

I didn't actually. The show was on between two shows I watched, so I thought 'What they hey, might be fun'. Watched a few episodes every now and then, but eventually I just found it extremely stale with not much depth to go with. Sorry, just ain't my cup of tea. (If you wonder, the comedy I do find enjoyable is shows like Scrubs, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother)

This show gives the same vibe as 30Rock and Better off Ted. I like the irony and the oddball eccentricities of the characters. To me, shows like these I can easily relate with. I can't wait for the new season of Community to start showing where I live!

The goat's mustache is Cameron Diaz!

Sorry, The I.T. Crowd already beat you to it.

Arkhangelsk:

Xzi:

Arkhangelsk:

I didn't actually. The show was on between two shows I watched, so I thought 'What they hey, might be fun'. Watched a few episodes every now and then, but eventually I just found it extremely stale with not much depth to go with. Sorry, just ain't my cup of tea. (If you wonder, the comedy I do find enjoyable is shows like Scrubs, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother)

Ah. Yea, I don't much care for Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother. So different strokes. I like NBC's whole Thursday night line-up except for Parks and Recreation, Hung and Bored to Death on HBO.

While its nice that someones trying to put DnD in a nice way of social interaction, I'm afraid it just isnt.

The DnD forums have apparently seen some of the largest and hottest flame wars in all known history, except we cant confirm that because all mentions pertaining to the war, right down to the cause, were wiped from the forum. This measure is so enforced that any moderator that even hints the cause of the flame war is immeadiatly fired and all threads about the history of the war are deleted on sight.

The forum is locked in a neverending grudge match over various versions of the board game and they all hate everything that claims to be DnD but is not the board game. Seriously even mentioning the expanded universe to them is like putting 'Splosion Man in a fireworks factory.

All in all, its ok only if you just play the game. Just dont for the life of you get involved with the community. Unless youre looking for an easy target for trolling.

Scarim Coral:

stole the words right out of my mouth

How?
HOW?

How do they keep finding ways to make Community more awesome?

HankMan:
How?
HOW?

How do they keep finding ways to make Community more awesome?

^^This.

<3 Community, <3 DnD.

It's total win. I think if they put any more win into Community, the space-time continuum will rupture.

Nice, I'll probably check it out. I don't usually watch Community, but I did catch the paintball episode awhile back and loved it.

Community is the funniest show on television.

It makes me happy to realize people genuinely do like this show. I find myself being hyper critical about just about anything on television, but there is just something about this show that clicks for me.

I look at some shows like IT crowd, How I met your mother, Big bang theory etc, shows that would fit my demographic for me to like and I just cant get into them. With community I have no such issues.

Kudos for trying to portray DnD in a positive light. If done correctly it CAN be a positive social experience. I wouldnt really point to the flamewars from DnD forums because your looking at a worst case scenario with people who are already entirely too serious about DnD to the point that they are compelled to discuss it on an online forum. The game itself IS fairly social when you have basically novices playing on level playing fields.

Somehow, I can only see Ahbed being the DM. No one else in my mind would make sense.

'Mainstream Sitcom Set to Finally Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively'

'-----Yeah, this is big news, you all know that, eh?

Why portray something like this in a positive light to the masses?

Do any of you know what shooting the shit with a bunch of friends in an adventure role playing game is really like?

Do any of you think this needs to be some after school special lecture to convince others that what table top RPG people do is 'norm'????

I say: "Fuck off, leave us alone, blame 'Columbine' on video games, not us table top rpgr's... : P-----'

That was my instinctive reaction to this story.

Then I read/heard that some LARP guy was involved.

Now, I want nothing to do with my post, nor my feelings about any of this.

Sorry to bore you all. LARP tops any reason or opinion I have. Good luck with that.

Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

Why do people take so much offense to the show The Big Bang Theory? That show is hilarious and getting offended and a stereotype is a stereotype, stereotypes are used in television all the time so why does stereotypical geekiness offend you? Do you show some of those traits?

Anyways I'd watch this but I haven't seen it on Australian television.

Clearly this program 'community' is a devil worshipping hate-filled construct whose soul purpose is to turn our poor innocent little cherub like children into murderous 'gamers' with their evil devil worsipping dnd episodes...and stuff.

Also; i wanna cast magic missile!

Arkhangelsk:
Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother

Aaaahhhhh that explains it.

I have never played DnD nor do I have a desire to however anything that makes Community more awesome is alright with me because I fecking love this show!

Xzi:
I like NBC's whole Thursday night line-up except for Parks and Recreation, Hung and Bored to Death on HBO.

I find this odd... have you watched the more recent episodes of Parks and Rec? (yes I know it's not been on for a while but you know what I mean) I honestly did not like the first season at all, it felt like a government version of the Office however the second season was comedy gold. If you haven't watched newer episodes I recommend it because it seems like we have similar comedic tastes and I honestly love Parks and Rec, it rivals Community for my favourite comedy.

The IT Crowd and Freaks and Geeks already beat you to this. I'm pretty sure Big Bang Theory has, too.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ummm maybe we differ in opinion, that did not 'Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively' as the title of this thread states

That was a comic sketch for some laughs and was portraying the standard stereotypes....so um no

sniddy:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ummm maybe we differ in opinion, that did not 'Portray Dungeons & Dragons Positively' as the title of this thread states

That was a comic sketch for some laughs and was portraying the standard stereotypes....so um no

While it did have the stereotypes it also had the sceptics come in and enjoy the game, and everyone got really into it, so I'd say it did show it in a good light.

How can they portray it properly in just 22 minutes per episode?

Aw, well. I'll watch it.

sniddy:

The_root_of_all_evil:

That was only half the skit, watch the other half sometime :)

Onyx Oblivion:
How can they portray it properly in just 22 minutes per episode?

I would guess that they would chat and stuff as they play the game. It probably won't be so much about D&D, but about their interpersonal issues with D&D being the event that brings them together. Grudges can translate into in-game rivalries and so forth.

If they're playing 4th ed I'm never watching Community again.

Shardok:
If they're playing 4th ed I'm never watching Community again.

Thats an awfully shallow reason... and that is why you wont be missed.

OT: FANTASTIC! Anything to do with Community is awesome, the fact that it is giving props to nerdier things is pretty cool.

Never seen it, but will likely check it out because of this.

A fairly large bump here, but I saw it the other day. Thought it to be fairly clever, but it seemed a bit dark in nature. What'd you guys think of it?
also,

viranimus:

Somehow, I can only see Ahbed being the DM. No one else in my mind would make sense.

How right you were.

shado_temple:
A fairly large bump here, but I saw it the other day. Thought it to be fairly clever, but it seemed a bit dark in nature. What'd you guys think of it?
also,

viranimus:

How right you were.

Man I JUST watched that episode. It was fantastic.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here