Bulletstorm Dev's Canceled Project Way More Serious

Pages PREV 1 2

Well, after the inevitable success of Bulletstorm, what's to say they won't be given the green light to have a go at a film-noir detective game? I like the concept, personally.

It looked like a solid idea and maybe something could have come of it. Maybe they'll take it off the shelf for after Bulletstorm.

That video told me nothing about the game at all.

OT: Meh, maybe ill get bulletstorm, but games are too gritty and serious as it is.

Wow it looked really interesting. I am a bit bummed that it is not coming out.

Still excited for Bulletstorm though

DrEmo:
repressed sociopath tendencies brought on by a combination of a lack of parental approval and 2 bottles of Mountain Dew in our system.

This just in: Sociapathy is caused by dissapointed parents and soda

That looks damn cool. Shame it got cancelled, because really... Damn.

"I'd much rather throw hundreds of foes onto cacti and wing them around with an electric whip than visit that boarded-up house anyway." - Tom Goldman

And this is why we can't have good things.

Do people really hate adventure games this much? Is it that niche to the point you see a writer on a respectable gaming website berate an entire genre of games?

Thank you for another attack on my faith in humanity... Seriously? That looks far more interesting than Bulletstorm. I see Bulletstorm and I think "Oh great, another fucking shooter with a small dose of comedy. Whoopty fucking doo." I see even this little information on Come Midnight and I think "Something classy and stylish in an old-timey way in the survival horror genre? Count me in!" But no, we get shooting enemies in the nards. Thank you videogame industry and thank you humanity, I hope your fucking proud of yourselves.

What the fuck, guys? Bulletstorm looks great and all, but I'd much rather have the cancelled game. The tone and atmosphere look incredible, both survival horror games and games set in that particular era are rare, and as good as Bulletstorm looks, we don't really need another off-the-wall shooter.

It's true we don't know anything about how Come Midnight would have played, but that trailer alone had classy, elegant, unique era atmosphere in spades.

But whatever. Shooting enemies in the junk with projectile drills, right?

Right?

Yeah.

cairocat:

Steve Fidler:
Thinking something more along the lines of Heavy Rain, but without all the damn QTEs

So... just a start menu?

...game of the year!

This might sound odd, but looking back, you find a lot of killer development studios that have arced between juvenile gore and more serious gaming. id software originally intended Quake to be more like an RPG with a continuous world, for example. I think People Can Fly (can someone please bring an acronym into general use?) could have really pulled a survival horror game off. A Noir theme would have been nice too, but eh... I'm still looking forward to Bulletstorm. I mean, it's crude and nasty and childish... but I still think it'll deliver fun in spades.

KEM10:
I want more noir games. Gritty, sepia toned realism with an alcoholic PI that was removed from the force for [that one incident]. I guess I just want a cinematic game that will make me think with cynical undertones about life, and to pretend to be Bogart.

I agree. As much as I like LA Noire, I still can't get over the fact that it lacks Bogart.

Arkley:
What the fuck, guys? Bulletstorm looks great and all, but I'd much rather have the cancelled game. The tone and atmosphere look incredible, both survival horror games and games set in that particular era are rare, and as good as Bulletstorm looks, we don't really need another off-the-wall shooter.

It's true we don't know anything about how Come Midnight would have played, but that trailer alone had classy, elegant, unique era atmosphere in spades.

But whatever. Shooting enemies in the junk with projectile drills, right?

Right?

Yeah.

And this. Escapist seems hyped over yet another FPS with a dose of "humor".

Tom Goldman:

The video for Come Midnight gives me the feeling that players would have taken on the role of a hard-nosed private detective that stumbles upon something he never expected. Ghosts, or ghouls, maybe. I'd much rather throw hundreds of foes onto cacti and wing them around with an electric whip than visit that boarded-up house anyway.

And people wonder why imagination in the VG industry is dead.

Looks to me like a point and click adventure like Grey Matter or And Then There Were None the game.

Sebenko:

hansari:
In all seriousness, the market is already saturated with failures in survival horror at this point. Maybe not always sale-wise, but with regard to reception...

No, the marked is saturated with flesh coloured action games.

Actual survival horror games are few and far between.

It is getting now with the Serious Sam remakes, Duke Nukem Forever and Bulletstorm because they disappeared for a long time. I cant say much about their game, for me if the game involved too much action it would be a failure and it would be just like any other survival horror games. Since the video doesnt show gameplay I cant judge on that.

Does anyone else remember that game Campfire that People Can Fly was working on for last-gen consoles back in 2003? It was a [survival] horror game where you played as a variety of slasher villains. You were rewarded for scaring your victims before killing them, ala cheesy horror-movie style.

Even though I'm not a fan of slasher horror movies, the concept just sounded so original. I was very disappointed that it was canceled and how every M.I.A. videogame list I see never mentions it.

Lots of studios bat ideas arround that even get into conceptual stages that they simply realise don't work very well or better or more developed ideas come along. I don't think this is a sign that they were told to be "Less Serious" by Epic Games or anyone, it just shows they were toying with more ideas than just bulletstorm.

Anyone remeber the "Gril with stick" Project isomniac abandoned? Well many devs do the same things to projects are various levels of completion or conception.

Now I'm sad because that looked so cool with the noir feel.

just watched the bulletstorm trailer and at the start i was like oh fuck no i can't take any more cover based shooters but then it turned out to be a pretty great parody of stuff like GoW and army of two. now im actually torn as to which id rather they had gone ahead with.

dammit the only trailer ive been intrigued watching and the game is cancelled. lame.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here