Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Snacking While Gaming Can Hurt Weight Loss

Want to lose weight? Don't snack while you game.

As gamers, much (if not all) of our free time is spent playing the games we love, and that means we have little time to devote to things like sitting down for a proper meal. Why should we, when it's so much easier to just bring our plate back to our desk and nosh while we do our daily quests in WoW?

If we're trying to lose weight, though, this could end up hurting us: A new study by the School of Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol's nutrition and behavior unit suggests that eating while playing games is a good way to pack on the pounds.

The study examined the ways in which splitting one's attention affected appetite and the amount one eats. Subjects were split into two groups: One ate a lunch of nine different foods while simultaneously playing the classic time-waster Solitaire, and the other ate the same lunch without any distractions.

Afterwards, the study found, the gamers felt less full and ate twice as many snacks half an hour after eating lunch as their counterparts who hadn't been trying to find the black eight to put on the red nine. What's more, the Solitaire players had more trouble trying to remember just what they'd eaten.

So remember, folks - as tempting as it can be to bring your microwaved pizza to your couch with you while settling in for a match of Halo: Reach, it might hurt your waistline in the long run.

(PA, via CVG)

Wait, so eating while doing a sedate activity makes you fat?

*Looks at expanding waistline* I never would have guessed.....

Sitting still and eating calorie-intensive foodstuffs can cause an increase in weight?

Madness!

EDIT: Yes, I've re-read the article after a good night of sleep. Unintentionally skipped over parts of it when I first read it. No need to keep replying to this. :P

JaredXE:

What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.

Well as much as my pride for saying "YAY my hometown is mentioned in this article"
Uni Bristol have stated the obvious...Eating+0 Exercise = Increased weight? *Facepalm*

Hmm might explain why I suddenly piled it on a bit recently...

Sounds legit.

Oh. Well I never snack while gaming. Not even Celery sticks

*Hides MASSIVE bag of Bacon Rashes*

All they're saying is that gamers eat more, not that it leads to increased weight. We need that extra fuel to keep our super-large gaming minds functioning.

At least our brains aren't sedate like those who can stare off into space while eating.

EDIT: This was a tongue in-cheek response, my initial thoughts on reading the title of this was "Well, duh".

As long as I am too immersed to get back up for another snack, what's the fuzz?! A pizza is a pizza is a pizza.

I'd rather be told how to change my diet to fight shortsightedness, high blood pressure and neck pains from gaming than simply to be told to "eat less".

Twilight.falls:

JaredXE:

What he said. Something tells me that the people doing these studies work at the Department of Redundancy Department.

My thoughts exactly. The sad thing is, they waste money to do these studies and let us all know what was already painfully obvious.

How about eating while watching TV? I couldn't eat and game at the same time, I'd be too fussed about getting greasy fingers on my controller x3

No.. No kidding... I can't believe. Really sitting still and eating can be bad for you?
You know how I lost 10kilos in 2 months. I sat down, gamed and didn't eat anything.

Dexiro:
How about eating while watching TV? I couldn't eat and game at the same time, I'd be too fussed about getting greasy fingers on my controller x3

Same...also I would be too busy being HARDCORE NUUUUUGHHHGHHG!1! *smashes head to open coke can* Ow.

OT: I am too busy concentrating and also I don't really sit in the most convent place to snack...
I sit on the arm of the sofa because that's the only place I can get a good view of the TV
My family hates games

Now see, I prepare the amount of food I'm going to eat well playing BEFORE I sit down to pay attention to the game. When I run out, I run out.

What's so hard about that for the people in the study? Oh, their meals weren't made by them? Is that normal for gamers or something?

I think they are refering to splitting your attention, rather than just eating while sitting still, though I already knew that, I though it was common knowlege.

In other news, humans need air to live abd China is the big country bordering the other end of the Pacific Ocean, along with Japan, Korea, Russia, Australia, and many others.

I'll be sure to keep my snacking reserved to other activities.

Like reading. Watching movies. Listening to music.

Until theres a study showing the link between these and weight gain I'll just believe it to be safe!

Thank you good research!

In other news, people who have jobs are generally richer than people who don't. Commentary at 11.

...seriously, this seems like an obvious point. Although I do wonder if there's a similar comparison to be made with moviegoers and popcorn...

... No fucking shit. -.-

Anyone could figure this shit out.

Dexiro:

Same problem there I'm afraid, if you divide your attention you tend to miss the chemical signal that tells you that you're full.

Jesus Phish:
I'll be sure to keep my snacking reserved to other activities.

Like reading. Watching movies. Listening to music.

Until theres a study showing the link between these and weight gain I'll just believe it to be safe!

Thank you good research!

Read the above, I know it's a joke, but there are in fact people stupid enough to think like that.

*joins other commenters in the stance of "No, really?"*

It's common sense, I don't see why it really needs reporting on or new studies.

Twilight.falls:

JaredXE:

hahahahahahhahaha that made me laugh, they all looked at me in the office funny

anyway, what i didnt really had seen and its kind of obvious is that your brain doesnt process the fact that you just ate, so you feel hungry still because you were obviously focusing on something else, so your brain doesnt know if you really ate, or not, and just to be sure it makes you eat more

"ok... did ate in the last 5 hours??... oh! i freed a Q! great... i think i need to eat something... there are chips... the bag is empty... K OF SPADES!!... open a new bag of chips and eat, i think i´m hungry"

Is everybody just reading the headline and commenting without reading the full article?

The point isn't "doing a sedentary activity plus eating food without exercise makes you fat," it's "eating while splitting your focus and attention means that you're more likely to eat more than you would otherwise, and feel less full afterward."

They're completely different things.

Thank you Captain Obvious! Right now if my stomach could actually tolerate anything the fruit looks really good. Guess it back to ginger ale and crackers.
Still eating while your attention is diverted: work, watching tv, or gaming you are bound to eat more and higher calorie food. It's something well known

JerrytheBullfrog:
Is everybody just reading the headline and commenting without reading the full article?

The point isn't "doing a sedentary activity plus eating food without exercise makes you fat," it's "eating while splitting your focus and attention means that you're more likely to eat more than you would otherwise, and feel less full afterward."

^^This. I don't think most people read the article, or at least failed to understand.

I came into the thread thinking the same as most of the commenters "Duh, snacking leads to weight gain."

But this is actually interesting, and something I hadn't considered. A lot of times, I'm gaming while I eat, or reading, or watching TV.

As for all the people going on about "eating while sitting still", how the hell do you eat dinner? Do you jog around your dining room trying to eat your food? Most people at the least sit at the table with their families and eat.

Wow, look at the number of people who didn't read the article!

I personally don't eat and play games simultaneously but I DO eat and watch movies or videos simultaneously for pretty much every meal since I now live alone. Hopefully that doesn't have the as severe of an affect. I'd like to think that I don't continuously eat since I already have my proportions laid out before I start eating/watching. When my plate is clear, that's it.

No shit Sherlock. Even though the real point of this article, that part about splitting attention and it's relation to appetite, is quite interesting.

Still. No shit Sherlock.

Sitting still and eating for long periods of time. Who the fuck would have guessed that was a bad idea.

JerrytheBullfrog:

Yeah, I read the article, then wondered what the hell people are on about.

The article is saying eating while doing other things makes you eat more/feel less full/etc. It doesn't nesicarily just mean gaming either, I imagine people that do a working lunch at the office would have similar effects given the split in concentration.

What the study is saying is, "when you have a meal, go sit down and eat the meal, don't do other stuff while eating!".

No fucking shit, Sherlock. >_>

dathwampeer:
No shit Sherlock. Even though the real point of this article, that part about splitting attention and it's relation to appetite, is quite interesting.

Still. No shit Sherlock.

Sitting still and eating for long periods of time. Who the fuck would have guessed that was a bad idea.

Fucking Ninja. >_<

First we get "research" that says we won't get slim by sitting in front of a screen all day and now this? Where do these "researchers" get their funding, the silly planet?

dathwampeer:

Still. No shit Sherlock.

I think this is an early competitor for the most pointless experiment category from the no shit Sherlock's of 2012 this years winner went to finding out we need air to live also to you want to present any of the awards.

Cursed Frogurt:
Wow, look at the number of people who didn't read the article!

I personally don't eat and play games simultaneously but I DO eat and watch movies or videos simultaneously for pretty much every meal since I now live alone. Hopefully that doesn't have the as severe of an affect. I'd like to think that I don't continuously eat since I already have my proportions laid out before I start eating/watching. When my plate is clear, that's it.

I'm in the same situation. I live alone, so sitting down to eat without a video on (or book open, or some other distraction) is really boring. It's boring to the point that I think I would rush through eating just to get back to doing something "interesting", and rushing your meal is bad for proper digestion and also leads to overeating.

... I guess I could always start talking to myself while I eat... though I think that creates more problems than it solves.

...so, in other words, they basically wasted time and money to tell us that it's unhealthy to snack and play videogames all day? Wow, that's almost as useful as farmers setting up research on strawberries only to tell us "why yes, they are a fruit."

EDIT: Yes, I did read the article. And this is basically their summary. Just to throw a curve into their research -- I actually eat dinner while playing my 360, but then I snack on fruit after that. I doubt anyone, especially my parents, are going to turn around and tell me, "Hey! Stop eating fruit!" And I lost 3 lbs between 2009-2010 -- I mean, I walk places (thank you, local Wawa lol) and that kind of stuff, but I don't go out of my way to exercise.

Trogdor1138:
*joins other commenters in the stance of "No, really?"*

It's common sense, I don't see why it really needs reporting on or new studies.

Because you didn't read the actual article, apparently.

To be honest the first thing I noticed was the bi-line: 'Want to lose weight? Don't snack while you game.'

The article refers to eating a meal while gaming, then snacking afterward. I would reckon that being hungry is a good reason to take a break from whatever you're playing, go prepare something, eat it, THEN you can go back to your game. If your tummy isn't grumbling, then you're not hungry :P

Although really, I think, the real point to be made is *don't snack* if you want to lose weight, regardless of whether or not you're gaming.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here