Valve Giving PS3 Owners Two Copies of Portal 2 For the Price of One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Wait.... I buy PS3 version, and get PC version for free?!?!?

Valve, do you want just my first born, or would you like the second as well?

It's about time the 360 got the shaft. I'm normally one of the people to say that the PC is one of the only ways to properly game, but I've always really rooted for the PS3. Probably because I want Microsoft's monopoly of endlessly crappy products to come to an end. Seriously, I'm not a mac fanboy, but microsoft has a habit of putting out sub-par trash; the Xbox 360 is no exception. (Neither are Windows, Zune, the original xbox [huge box of overheating parts. good game library, mind you, but still a piece of crap], not to mention Bing...)

jebussaves88:
Why would you want it on more than one platform anyway?

I would, as a friend of mine is going to get it on the ps3, but I want custom maps. Now I can play with him, have custom maps, and even get trophies as a bonus!

I'm really, really happy they did this.

Logan Westbrook:
This news probably won't be quite as popular with Xbox 360 and PC players, however, as they will have to fork out the same amount of money as PS3 owners in exchange for significantly less content.

I imagine, considering the amount of fanboy rage it caused among 360 fans that Bioware made Mass Effect 2 better on the PS3, that you are right about them not being happy about this.

Why would PC gamers be unhappy though? If they have a PS3 they can just buy it there and get the PC version as well. If they don't, then I hardly see that they lose anything. They still end up with the best (and cheapest) version of the game and have no need for a PS3 copy as they don't own the system.

That said, I will consider if I'll buy the PC version or the PS3 version. I suppose it would be fun to see how Steam on my PS3 works.

I wont be getting the 360 version of course due to my lack of a gold sub, and refusal to actually play online on both my PS3 and 360.

KEM10:

USSR:
PSN and PC - Portal co-op?

Not sure how I feel about that.

I do. Potential for L4D2 co-op, TF2 co-op, and opening the door for some AAA cross platform co-op (dare I say, the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty cross platform multiplayer).

TF2 co-op? Surely you're jesting? Aside from the lack of actual co-op in the game I gather that the PS3 (and 360) version of TF2 is atrocious so it would need some brushing up. And a million updates.

As for L4D2, I think I would prefer not to play that one with console people. The community is bad enough as it is. And there's the lack of the actual game on PS3.

Dexiro:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.

That's actually no different than buying the PS3 version and getting the PC version as a download. You still get it on both platforms, you just have to buy it on PS3 to do so. Doesn't make a lot of sense to reverse it.

that sounds pretty damn awesome to me... how do I link my accounts?

Assassin Xaero:
Ha! 360 gets shafted this time! I love Valve. And looks like I'm getting this on PS3 since I'll get a free copy on PC anyway.

You might want this:

Oh my O.O

Considering that I can't take my PS3 with me to university (due to lack of TV XD), being given a free copy for my humble little MacBook Pro would be absolutely awesome!

Yay, thanks Valve, I now forgive you for your crappy version of the Orange Box on PS3 :D

But not for STILL withholding Episode 3... >.>

Microsoft really dropped the ball with this one.

I was always gonna get it on PC anyway.

teh_gunslinger:

As for L4D2, I think I would prefer not to play that one with console people. The community is bad enough as it is. And there's the lack of the actual game on PS3.

wait.. what? Clear that one up please...

So I can buy the game on the PS3 and badger my PS3 friends into buying it, whilst also getting a free copy for my PS so I can play it with my PC buds.... AWESOME!

Korten12:

teh_gunslinger:

Oh, sorry. I might have been a bit crap when I wrote that. I just meant that for L4D2 PS3/PC co-op the game would need to be on the PS3. Unless they have released it and I completely missed it? That's possible I suppose, in which case you should just disregard that part.

Thedayrecker:

Assassin Xaero:
Ha! 360 gets shafted this time! I love Valve. And looks like I'm getting this on PS3 since I'll get a free copy on PC anyway.

You might want this:

Oh right, thanks.

*puts up flame shield*

teh_gunslinger:

Korten12:

teh_gunslinger:

Oh, sorry. I might have been a bit crap when I wrote that. I just meant that for L4D2 PS3/PC co-op the game would need to be on the PS3. Unless they have released it and I completely missed it? That's possible I suppose, in which case you should just disregard that part.

Ah well that makes sense. XD

KEM10:

USSR:
PSN and PC - Portal co-op?

Not sure how I feel about that.

I do. Potential for L4D2 co-op, TF2 co-op, and opening the door for some AAA cross platform co-op (dare I say, the next Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty cross platform multiplayer).

Sorry to break it to you, but they probably won't ever do a cross platform FPS game. They tried it with Halo, even putting decent PC gamers up against "hardcore" 360 players, they the 360 players got annihilated so bad they said it would be too embarrassing to do cross platform play.

This is the best news I've heard in ages, Since I have a ps3 in the house, but I also like playing on the PC. Co-op fun times ahead! :D

One nagging question, would I be able to play co-op with ps3 and pc off the same account?

Dexiro:
It does seem a bit unfair if the deal doesn't work the other way around as well. You should be able to buy the PC version and get the PS3 version for free, maybe as a PSN download.

If you are a PC gamer and for some reason want two copies of Portal 2 buy it on PS3 then get your free PC copy. There really isn't a reason for it to work the other way around.

Anyways I was probably going to buy Portal 2 on my new XBOX, but now I don't really see a reason to. I like PS3 better, plus I get two copies of the game. Seems like a no brainer

All this really does is insure that owners of multiply platforms buy for the PS3. If you only have a xbox or PC I can't see this even mattering in the least bit.

Dexiro:

If you have both platforms then what would be the point of buying the PC version...

If you get the PC version free for linking your steam account to your PSN and buying the PS3 version what's the problem? There's not a loss here if you have both.

Woodsey:

Well then don't play with people on the PS3. What's to feel, exactly?
OT: Good deal. Valve are definitely teh best.

I mean, I'm not saying it's bad.
It's a very good deal.
Cross-platform multiplayer + extra copy of game for PS3 owners w/ steam accounts.

I, personally, have no knowledge of cross-platform multiplayer
Has anyone done something like this before?
If so, has it worked?

I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm just ignorant of how it all.. works.

Good for them, I will just refuse to purchase Portal 2, then.

USSR:

Woodsey:

It's a very good deal.
Cross-platform multiplayer + extra copy of game for PS3 owners w/ steam accounts.

If so, has it worked?

I'm sorry if that's a stupid question, but I'm just ignorant of how it all.. works.

MS tried it with the 360 and the PC with a few games, mostly Shadowrun - it didn't go down well. They had to impair the aiming on the PC to compensate for the gamepads, and it was rahter a waste of time.

This, on the other, is co-op, not competitive multiplayer, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Wont the pc version be alot cheaper like every other game?
Also the version with most content is the version with the razer hydra, that offers additional levels and new mechanics like motion controls and scaling blocks etc.
So they pay more for less content.
[/quote]

It's still cheaper to get the PS3 version and the free PC version with the cool beans rather than buying it on the 360 AND PC.

Where's our Linux Support? ;_;
(I mean, sure we are a minority. But I am already sick of using W[H]INE just to play games. Giv us sum luv...)

Hopefully, it comes in April or May, similar to when MAC support came.

Woodsey:

USSR:

Woodsey:

It's a very good deal.

If so, has it worked?

MS tried it with the 360 and the PC with a few games, mostly Shadowrun - it didn't go down well. They had to impair the aiming on the PC to compensate for the gamepads, and it was rahter a waste of time.

This, on the other, is co-op, not competitive multiplayer, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, it worked out decently for FFXI users as sad as that was. PS2/360/PC compatibility right there.

As a playstation player who is frequently frustrated by the apparent dominance of XBL over PSN I am pleased with finally getting some love. However, it does seem sorta odd that this functionality isn't available for both systems. I wonder if I'll be able to sell my pc version...

Woodsey:

Aah, I see.
Well then, I can't wait to see how this turns out (:

Riff Moonraker:
Good for them, I will just refuse to purchase Portal 2, then.

Huh, why do you refuse the buy portal 2 now?

The_root_of_all_evil:
I'm just waiting for the Valve haters to kick in the door and say it's all a scam and Valve are the devil again.

I still think it was a bad move on their part to continue their public whining about the ps3 architecture after good games started coming out on the ps3. But they seemed to have stopped since e3.

What I find impressive is the idea of cross platform multiplayer. I've been wanting to see that for ages.
If it's going to be the same price, I may as well get the ps3 version. I'll probably still just play it on the PC but I'm sure one of my friends will take it off my hands.

Valve is steadily losing ground with PC gamers, and up until now I didn't really agree with it. The mannconomy update really did a lot to lose the PC gamers respect, but giving console gamers exclusive content, as well as the ability to have both platforms for the price of one, is a little ridiculous... why not offer that to PC gamers, as well? It's such a shame to see one of the only developers that has been good to the PC community flip their script and start targeting the consoles...

USSR:

If so, has it worked?

I assume that the PS3 version includes Hydra maps and possible Hydra co-op, so cross-platforming sounds like a plausible option.

WorkerMurphey:
As a playstation player who is frequently frustrated by the apparent dominance of XBL over PSN I am pleased with finally getting some love. However, it does seem sorta odd that this functionality isn't available for both systems. I wonder if I'll be able to sell my pc version...

Highly doubt that, it's against the Steam EULA to sell your games/account to others.

Cool. I can buy the PS3 version and get the PC version free.

Sounds like a no-brainer.

If you own a PS3, and a PC...Still get the PS3 version.

Awesome, I won't have to choose between the PS3 version and the PC version. I can have both!

Wait, so if I buy it on the PS3 I get the PC version for free? Holy shit!

If I buy it on the PC, will I also get the PS3 version for free?

uppitycracker:
Valve is steadily losing ground with PC gamers, and up until now I didn't really agree with it. The mannconomy update really did a lot to lose the PC gamers respect, but giving console gamers exclusive content, as well as the ability to have both platforms for the price of one, is a little ridiculous... why not offer that to PC gamers, as well? It's such a shame to see one of the only developers that has been good to the PC community flip their script and start targeting the consoles...

If anything, I'm seeing this as a call to console gamers to try the PC Steam setup; assuming that these PS3 owners will have to download Steam to pick up their free PC copy, they may actually enjoy themselves and stick around, thus building a larger community for the PC side of Steam.

And enough with the mannconomy update complaints already; people act as if you can pay to be better than everyone else in TF2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here