Ricky Gervais to Reprise Office Role on American Version

Ricky Gervais to Reprise Office Role on American Version

Michael Scott and David Brent will finally meet face-to-face on January 27.

Steve Carell is set to leave The Office in a few short months, but not before he gets some facetime with his British predecessor. Ricky Gervais will appear on the American version of The Office, reprising his role as David Brent from the original British Office.

Showrunner Paul Lieberstein told New York Magazine's Vulture that the interaction is pretty short: "It's a little more than if you blink, you'll miss it, but if you don't set your TiVo right, you'll miss it." He also acknowledged that it was a difficult meeting to reconcile within the worlds of the respective shows, what with both characters being followed by documentary filmmakers. Ultimately, Lieberstein tells Vulture, the meeting will take place "outside of the office, and it's just the two of them interacting. It's just a little nod to Steve and his final year."

The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS." The producers tried to keep a lid on things because they wanted the appearance to be a total surprise, much like George Clooney's reappearance near the end of ER. A secret unknown to the internets? How quaint.

The episode will air on January 27.

Source: Vulture

Filmed back in September? I'm surprised they managed to keep it secret this long. I've gone off the Office but I might tune in again to see Gervais.

If Gervais is involved, so am I.

I'll have to watch it again for the first time in years.

Did they ever get over all the stupid romance sub-plots?

Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."

That's some good comedy right there...

Am I the only person in the world who still doesn't like, either version of, the office? Ricky Gervais can be funny but he can also be really shit.

The original was terrible enough, let alone the American version.

Too bad it's just a short scene but still a nice little nod from both shows to the audience.

Probably won't watch it as I haven't seen the British Office yet and watching the American Office before I have watched the British Office properly would be the tv viewing version of blasphemy.

Great. He'll have a chance to show a whole new audience just how unfunny he is.

...I'm suprised that the world didn't explode from all the awesome.

Amethyst Wind:

Sounds like someone's a fatty.

OT: This is going to be wonderful. I haven't really followed The Office in a while, but this will be one I'm marking my calendar for.

Amethyst Wind:

Aw come on, man. Are you just butthurt from the awards or have you never seen movies like Ghost Town?

I don't find the UK version of the Office entertaining at all, but Ricky Gervais himself is tolerable in very small doses. Might have to check it out.

Elizabeth Grunewald:
The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."

Oops? News flash for you, Lieberstein: If you don't want it printed, don't say it.

cairocat:

Amethyst Wind:

Aw come on, man. Are you just butthurt from the awards or have you never seen movies like Ghost Town?

The Office, Extras, Ghost Town, The Invention of Lying, any of his panel show/comedy quiz show appearances and his early standup. Not to mention he's a huge tool in real life.

cairocat:

Amethyst Wind:

As far as British comedians go, he's terrible. He's a like a shit version of Frankie Boyle.

mjc0961:

Elizabeth Grunewald:
The scene was actually filmed back in September, and, according to Vulture, Lieberstein says "we didn't even tell NBC at first. So [Ricky] worked for free. But don't print that -- it might get him in trouble with the INS."

Oops? News flash for you, Lieberstein: If you don't want it printed, don't say it.

Pretty sure it was a joke :P

I did SO see this coming.
It is the only logical thing to do.

Soooooo Rickey Gervais ISN'T replacing Steve Carell??? ....SUCKS!

The title definitely is suggesting that he was replacing Carell. Ms. Grunewald, why must you Escapist types torture us with misleading headlines?

And now we know... and knowing ruined the surprise! is half the battle!

Onyx Oblivion:

Jim and Pam got married some time ago. So in a sense, yes.

Onyx Oblivion:

Nope. There was one between Andy and new girl Erin. They actually started going out, but the produces couldn't think of anything new to do, so between seasons, they made her start going out with someone else. So that's still ongoing. And there's other romances with Angela and Dwight. And Kelly and Ryan. It's like everyone in the office needs to date only in the office.

I'll see it, I guess. It seems that my PVR isn't recording the Office recently, though. Can't say I've missed it.

Amethyst Wind:

cairocat:

Amethyst Wind:

The Office, Extras, Ghost Town, The Invention of Lying, any of his panel show/comedy quiz show appearances and his early standup. Not to mention he's a huge tool in real life.

I'm going to go ahead and sign this, except for the last part, I've seen almost everything he made and each time I felt that he shouldn't be acting in those things at all, The Invention of Lying had so much potential and he just ran it into the ground.

Real life though, I never knew much about him in real life but he was genuinely funny on the golden globes and he left almost everyone walking away butthurt, gets my approval at least.

Daystar Clarion:

cairocat:

Amethyst Wind:

As far as British comedians go, he's terrible. He's a like a shit version of Frankie Boyle.

And Frankie Boyle's not all that funny these days - Not that Gervais ever was, the smug jumped-up little...

Elizabeth Grunewald:
The producers tried to keep a lid on things because they wanted the appearance to be a total surprise, much like George Clooney's reappearance near the end of ER.

If that was NBC trying to keep something secret, I'm glad they're an entertainment company, not a security firm/government dept...

IckleMissMayhem:

Daystar Clarion:

cairocat:

And Frankie Boyle's not all that funny these days - Not that Gervais ever was, the smug jumped-up little...

Elizabeth Grunewald:
The producers tried to keep a lid on things because they wanted the appearance to be a total surprise, much like George Clooney's reappearance near the end of ER.

If that was NBC trying to keep something secret, I'm glad they're an entertainment company, not a security firm/government dept...

Yeah, gotta agree there, Boyle was only ever funny on Mock the Week. He's pretty shit as a standup. He doesn't react well to heckling either apparently, which is ironic considering how dark and insulting his humour is.

Amethyst Wind:

Quoting for emphasis.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here