Wolfenstein 3D Ported to Line of Pixels

Wolfenstein 3D Ported to Line of Pixels

The creators of Wolfenstein 1-D turned a classic id shooter into a single line of playable pixels.

1992's Wolfenstein 3D is known for popularizing the first-person shooter and defining the genre as we know it. As a tribute, Wonder-Tonic created Wolfenstein 1-D, a version of Wolfenstein 3D that plays out on a single line of pixels.

The basic concept is exactly the same as Wolfenstein 3D. Players take on the role of B.J. Blazkowicz as he attempts to escape from a Nazi stronghold and steal all of the Nazi treasure he can, but now B.J. is made of a small white rectangle just one pixel tall. Enemies are made of red and blue rectangles. Treasure, ammo, and health items are made from yellow, purple, and green respectively.

Instead of moving around in pseudo-3D, B.J. has to move to the right through the pixel tall level while shooting enemy Nazis before they shoot him. Enemies included in Wolfenstein 1-D are the typical 1-shot type and the automatic rifle type, so there's some variety. B.J. still has to open doors too, though I couldn't find any that led to a secret room full of golden chalices.

Wolfenstein 1-D isn't as easy as you think it'd be at first, but once you get the hang of the game it's over pretty quickly. I'm hoping the 5.25 inch floppy disk I ordered of later episodes will feature Mecha-Nazi Hitler and other bosses. Check it out here.

Source: Wonder-Tonic, via Kotaku

Well, this takes linear gameplay to a whole new level.

That's was cool. Pretty damn easy though.

I believe the operative term here is: "What is this I don't even."

I'm not even sure how you'd play it, though it clearly must be playable.

There is a reason games are not made like this.

It's a good game, but the level design is bland and repetitive, and definitely does not encourage exploration.

Lol was fun for the two minutes it lasted. And I'd be willing to pay, say...$3 for the rest of it. But $35? They're out of their effing minds. Minecraft was only $10, FFS.

But hey, at least it wasn't as linear as FFXIII.

*BAH DUM TSH!*

Well that was... Interesting. Yeah. Let's go with that.

Xzi:
But hey, at least it wasn't as linear as FFXIII.

*BAH DUM TSH!*

Nice one.

Wow... just wow and they want how much for this? $35? I wouldn't pay that for the most recent Wolfenstein game much less this version of Wolfenstein 3d

if this is now, i can't wait to see what they can do in the future!

Michael O'Hair:
There is a reason games are not made like this.

because it makes you feel ashamed for owning a $300+ console/computer.

we need moar games like this.

Hint: The order screen has Apogee's real address. The maker isn't Apogee.

This was a nice, clever five minute distraction, I liked it.

Heh, that was atleast an amusing diversion.

hittite:
Well, this takes linear gameplay to a whole new level.

if this were facebook, i would hit the thumbs up.

It's like going on a killing spree in Flatland.

Unfortunately my monitor's too high resolution. I'll never see it.

colorblindness fail :(

Haha. Ages ago, we've been talking exactly about this with a friend (a programmer) - it just didn't occur to us it can actually happen.

BTW Wolf3D still has great music...

Edit: Hm it would be funnier if the game would be in '3D' perspectieve, i.e. you if actually moved forward and to the sides and the enemies got 'bigger' with smaller distance.

TheDoomPenguin:

That was their old address, before they got absorbed into 3d Realms, and then recreated in Dallas. Who has a 3.5 drive nowadays, much less a 5.25 drive?

That's actually the Shareware ending of Wolfenstein 3-d, except with a 1-d instead of 3-d.

[moreyouknow.jpg]

TheDoomPenguin:

What?? Where did I send my money??

vxicepickxv:

TheDoomPenguin:

That was their old address, before they got absorbed into 3d Realms, and then recreated in Dallas. Who has a 3.5 drive nowadays, much less a 5.25 drive?

That's actually the Shareware ending of Wolfenstein 3-d, except with a 1-d instead of 3-d.

[moreyouknow.jpg]

I know it's the end to shareware Wolf3D, but that really is still their address, check the 3D Realms website.

Tom Goldman:

TheDoomPenguin:

What?? Where did I send my money??

To George Broussard's BBQ and Strippers fund is my best guess. :p

At first I was thinking it was Wolf3D while looking through a tiny slitted helmet.

But how it really is makes more sense.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here