Dragon Age 2 Packs 103 Minutes of Cutscenes

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dragon Age 2 Packs 103 Minutes of Cutscenes

Players will spend at least 103 minutes of the upcoming Dragon Age 2 not actually playing the game.

If there is one thing that Edmonton-based BioWare is known for, it's the strong writing in its popular RPGs. BioWare's games might not be the most original out there when it comes to story and characters, but said story and characters are almost always skillfully executed. A well-told, interesting yarn is something that gamers have come to expect from games like Dragon Age 2 - and that story will be communicated (at least in part) by a feature film's worth of cutscenes.

According to the BBFC rating of the anticipated RPG (the game gets an 18+ rating thanks to its violence, natch), the "linear elements within the work" - also known as cutscenes - possess a running time of 103 minutes flat.

This is, as previously mentioned, the length of an average feature film that you might see in theaters. Just because it's interesting - and timely - let's compare that to some of the Oscar nominees for Best Picture: 127 Hours (94 min), Black Swan (108 min), Inception (148 min), The King's Speech (118 min), Toy Story 3 (103 min), and True Grit (110 min).

Now, this isn't a bad thing! There are many gamers who really enjoy watching a well-crafted cutscene that advances the plot - not everything needs to be interactive. For every gamer rolling their eyes at the idea of a game packing over a hundred minutes of cutscenes, there's another whose interest is all the more piqued because of it.

Besides, 103 minutes is what, a long Metal Gear Solid cutscene?

(Eurogamer)

Or half of a Xenosaga cutscene. 103 minutes, spread out over what is expected to be at least a 40 hour game is hardly a lot of time. And the way they're doing the narrative, I expect some of it to be flashy stories told about awesome things.

Well, given the conversations in games like Mass Effect are essentially interactive cutscenes at this point (something I very much approve of), 103 minutes is hardly too much to ask. Mass Effect 2's cutscenes and dialogue segments adds up to something around 12+ HOURS.

I agree, considering my last game of DA:O was 60 hours I don't think 103 mins is going to be that bad. I'm really looking forward to DA 2.

That's a lot of cutscenes, I don't think any other Bioware game had that much cutscenes, not even Mass Effect, if we count the conversations as part of the actual game and not cutscenes.

I am so hype for this game. I seriously hope your previous DA:O plays a bigish role in the game, even if you're dead.

Forgive me if they've already covered that, but I have enacted a media blackout on DA:2 because I want the game to completely blow my mind when I first play it.

OT: Bring it. I love well executed Cutscenes.

I hope they are cutscenes that are worth a crap

For a Bioware game that does sound like a lot, but hopefully that includes in-game dialogue (without skipping and without waiting to respond)

OH GOD I'm pretty sure around the half-way point of MGS4 there's a 2 hour gap in gameplay (the cutscene that starts with Ocelot stabbing Snake with the electric knife).

MGS4 reminded me why I love Half-Life2.

if the game is even half as long as the first one the cut scenes will just be a small fraction of the game as a whole

I seem to recall the ending cutscene to Metal Gear Solid 4 was about 110 minutes.

With this in mind, 103 is nothing.

I'm happy about this. I love well told stories and even more well made cutscenes. Also John you win +3 internets for bashing the drool fest.

Also, AFAIK the BBFC handed out an 18 for the first Dragon Age, largely for the same reasons.

103 minutes?

There will be over 2 hours of cutscenes in Witcher 2.

Forget about DA, preorder REEL games!

well unlike JRPGs and Japanese games in general, at least these cutscenes will make sense and be well-done in terms of story.and hopefully no crazy-haired angsty tweenagers messing it up :P

Considering that most RPGs I know have a good 2-3 hours of cutscenes, something that's under 2 hours is a welcome change.

Thats really good, I think this is shaping up to be a fabulous game.

Yea. That doesn't worry me too much.
How much time will I spend in conversations?
DAO talked more than my wife... I couldn't even finish it.

Really looking forward to it :)

I am unsure about this. I don't want to be sitting around for 10+ minutes watching an in game movie. I'm playing this game for the interactive experience.

MrSnugglesworth:
I am so hype for this game. I seriously hope your previous DA:O plays a bigish role in the game, even if you're dead.

Forgive me if they've already covered that, but I have enacted a media blackout on DA:2 because I want the game to completely blow my mind when I first play it.

OT: Bring it. I love well executed Cutscenes.

I am checking the website most days just hoping for more news... (Did you pick up the two in game items from the site?)

OT: In a world with Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots I think 103 mins isn't stretching things.

Sounds cool to me - now if that was just one cutscene, or a handful, that would be super excessive, but as the total running length of all the cutscenes over the length of the entire game? I see no problem with that whatsoever; if anything that's kind of low.

Sounds quite frankly right for a Bioware game. And I love cutscene's, depending on the length of each one and the clarity of polished design.

Bring it, Dragon Age 2! ^^

We should also remember that DA isn't really a linear game. That means it probably wont even be possible to see all 103 minutes in a single playthrough. Unlike MGS which is completely linear so to complete the game you must encounter every cutscene(whether you skip it or not).

Coming from Bioware, it's a good thing. Unlike hearing another FF has 2+ hours of cutscenes. They should add even more if possible.

Keep it up Bioware!

So now advertising the amount of cutscenes is a good thing?

"Now spend almost 2 hours watching the game!"

John Funk:

Oh, snap. Exactly what I was thinking of it.

What I think is that it took me 73 hours to play the first one so its less than 2 minutes of video per hour. Hardly an amount that interferes with my gameplay so I like it.

I'm an MGS fanboy. This is nothing to me.

Nothing.

If the game runs for 30-60 hours, like DA:O and most other non-Mass Effect BioWare games, less than 2 hours is, at most, less than 10% of the game. That's not very much compared to many JRPGs and the like.

Also, "not... the most original out there when it comes to story and characters"? You might be right about stories, but characters? Name five games with better, more interesting, and more "original" (whatever that means) characters than (off the top of my head) Sten, Minsc, Shale, Thane, Mordin, Wrex or Jaheira.

Just think how many quick time events you could fit in there :D

So what? 103 minutes doesn't seem like too much or too little. Just the right amount for a lengthy RPG.

I just hope they're better rendered than the cut scenes DA:O for the Xbox 360. I like it when cut-scenes are higher quality than regular gameplay: If I can't play it I might as well enjoy looking at it.

John Funk:

Nah....it's not that long. I remember watching the a cut scene in MGS4 and i started in December and finished in February. 103 minutes isn't even that long for an entire game.

As long as it isn't 1 long 103 minute cutsene all I can say is WHOO HOOO can't wait.

John Funk:

I wonder, is that per play through or is that in total? Like as in to say 103 minutes of cut scenes will be in the average play through or that 103 minutes of cut scenes were created but due to story elements and plot choices a certain player will only see 43 minutes of those ect?

Sephiroth_deus:
We should also remember that DA isn't really a linear game. That means it probably wont even be possible to see all 103 minutes in a single playthrough. Unlike MGS which is completely linear so to complete the game you must encounter every cutscene(whether you skip it or not).

I think 103 is the minimum amount of time spent in cutscenes. That is, if all you do is run straight through with the bare minimum of interaction. Also, since DA2 is switching to a ME2 style dialogue scenes the mini cutscenes certainly aren't included.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here