Oops: PS3 Black Ops Update Adds Xbox Live Message

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Oops: PS3 Black Ops Update Adds Xbox Live Message

Treyarch's latest update to the PS3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops refers to features that the PS3 doesn't even have.

You know, software development is an exceptionally complicated thing, particularly when it comes to games. There are hundreds of thousands of lines of code that can all tangle up together when a player does the exact right thing in the exact right location at the exact right moment - something developers could never catch. For the most part, I'm inclined to give game makers a break when their games have a bug here and there (though some games are more egregious than others in this regard).

But then there are issues that could have been avoided by having a simple copy editor on staff. Like this one:

Following yesterday's 1.06 patch, sharp-eyed owners of the PS3 version of Black Ops noticed a strange message when selecting the "Search & Destroy" game type. In addition to the normal game type description, Black Ops helpfully informed PS3 owners that the mode did not support Xbox Live party chat.

It's likely just a simple mistake - someone copied and pasted the text in question and forgot to take the offending part out - and it's certainly not like it hurts anyone; it's just kind of funny. That said, the timing is a bit unfortunate for Treyarch, given the recent formal complaint about the alleged inferiority of the PS3 and PC versions of the game in comparison to the one on the Xbox 360. It certainly won't help PS3 owners feel like they've gotten a fair shake.

In a twist of situational irony, patch 1.06 was meant to address some of those very complaints from PS3 owners. Oops.

Though, looking at it in a positive light, the message is technically true: When played on PS3, the Search & Destroy game type will not support Xbox Live party chat. In fact, none of them will!

(Call of Duty Forums, via CVG)

I feel sorry for the ps3 with all this shit happening to it because of hackers,Mass effect 2 data corruption and now this.

That is a total fail

That is funny :)

I don't see how anyone could be mad with it though, it is only a silly mistake and doesn't change anything...

I think this is why I only buy PS3 exclusives, because for the most part, cross platform games tend to break the 360 less often.

C95J:
That is funny :)

I don't see how anyone could be mad with it though, it is only a silly mistake and doesn't change anything...

agreed, i cant help but laugh... i know i shouldn't

Lol, I bet the guy who made the mistake must fell really embarrassed.

Luckily its just a silly typo, nothing game ruining or anything.

See? That's why i'm totally not getting any console from this generation. My PC is just too superior.

PS3 has constant problems, lacks big community and has unpleasant to use (at least for me) pad, also lacks some games i would want to play.
Xbox 360 has Microsoft that does not allow Valve to implement Steamworks there, and there are paid accounts.
Wii... just joking, i have never even considered it, it's a silly toy.

I'd really like to own a console, but neither has the features i require.

"Though, looking at it in a positive light, the message is technically true: When played on PS3, the Search & Destroy game type will not support Xbox Live party chat. In fact, none of them will!"

May as well include a "Not compatible with GBA link cable" just to be safe.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I feel sorry for the ps3 with all this shit happening to it because of hackers,Mass effect 2 data corruption and now this.

I hardly think hackers have anything to do with either of these two.

To be fair, it wouldn't support Xbox Live party chat, so at least it isn't misinformation...

This is probably the only time anyone will laugh over a failed patch.

I don't see how PS3 can be mad about this. They wanted the same stuff the 360 is getting, and I don't think they could get more accurate than with that. :P

Daystar Clarion:
I think this is why I only buy PS3 exclusives, because for the most part, cross platform games tend to break the 360 less often.

I was confused and had to read that several times... you buy only exclusives for your PS3 and multiplatform games you get for Xbox right? O.o

OT: I find this quite funny :3

Man, PS3 owners are getting shat on a lot lately.

It's correct, though. You can't chat on Xbox Live if you're on the PS3 ;)

Daystar Clarion:

Well it depends on the game really. You're right that most cross-platform games work better on 360, aa lot of developers made the game for that platform originally because it's easier and then ported it over to PS3.

That's changing a lot recently though, quite a few developers have started focusing development on the PS3 version of games and then porting it over to Xbox afterwards.
Might be worth researching a little when you're buying multiplatform, go on dev blogs and look out for hints of which should be the best version :3

Even more proof for those class action lawsuits or whatever they launched towards Sony. Ooh well, it's CoD. It can burn and die for all I care.

GamesB2:

Daystar Clarion:

I was confused and had to read that several times... you buy only exclusives for your PS3 and multiplatform games you get for Xbox right? O.o

OT: I find this quite funny :3

I get xbox exclusives too, it's just that I find a lot of cross platform games perform better on the 360. The PS3 has enough decent exclusives to be worth buying it.

Dexiro:

Daystar Clarion:

Well it depends on the game really. You're right that most cross-platform games work better on 360, aa lot of developers made the game for that platform originally because it's easier and then ported it over to PS3.

That's changing a lot recently though, quite a few developers have started focusing development on the PS3 version of games and then porting it over to Xbox afterwards.
Might be worth researching a little when you're buying multiplatform, go on dev blogs and look out for hints of which should be the best version :3

Yeah, it looks like some devs are making the effort now. I tend to do a little research before hand anyway, so it's not usually a problem.

well... it IS true...

but damn people, if PS3 DID had party chat in Search and Destroy, could it be considered as an attempt to smudge the XBOX

i dont own BLOPS but i guess it would be funny if they added a message in XBOX that said "PS3 does not Support partyes over 15" or something like that haha

Sendura:
It's correct, though. You can't chat on Xbox Live if you're on the PS3 ;)

Unless you talk in a connected Xbox remote while playing PS3...

And, pretty funny, if this was a joke, kudos, if it wasn't, kudos, kudos.

Daystar Clarion:
I get xbox exclusives too, it's just that I find a lot of cross platform games perform better on the 360. The PS3 has enough decent exclusives to be worth buying it.

True, I want a PS3 solely for LBP2...

I don't see what all the fuss is about: its just a statement of fact. They CAN'T use XBL party chat. Its just the truth.

ForgottenPr0digy:

I feel bad for the customer service reps at either company right about now. You know they are getting flooded by nerdrage.

Although thank you Escapist for making that time between waking up and my coffee to brew a pleasant one. That made me laugh.

Copy/pasting code is always a dangerous thing.

Humourous and harmless as this is, it's just not a good thing to happen to the PS3 at the moment.

Given that Treyarch are being accused of making an inferior PS3 (and PC) version of Blops, this evidence that the PS3 version really is the "second" version probably won't be taken lightly by people who already feel slighted.

And people still don't believe me when I say that most games are just shitty port jobs for other systems.

There's your proof; it doesn't get any more mainstream than Call of Duty 4.3.

ForgottenPr0digy:

You forgot to mention the worst version of the Fallout games.
The crappiest version of most games really.
Sometimes we even get sequels without the predecessors: Mass Effect & Saints Row
It also loses more features than it gains.
If the competition wasn't spontaneously combusting when I bought the thing I would be regretting my purchase about now. But across the board, this gen just got really poor options.
I'm just going to stick with the PC when the next gen rolls around.

Oh well I didn't want to talk to anyone on Xbox Live anyhow. :o)

That's funny. And sad. And funny. ... And sad.

... Wow... Just... Wow...

How does shit like this slip by unnoticed?

John Funk:
Though, looking at it in a positive light, the message is technically true: When played on PS3, the Search & Destroy game type will not support Xbox Live party chat. In fact, none of them will!

See, that's exactly how I was looking at it.

I'm getting sick of hearing about bugs though. Even though it is harmless, this is still something that should have been caught in testing before releasing the patch. Mass Effect 2 on PS3 eats your game saves. LittleBigPlanet 2 has bugs and nasties that were in the game and pointed out in the beta and apparently not fixed. What the fuck, game companies?! Get your shit together already; I do NOT want to live in a world where Pachter's inane ranting about how we should expect game breaking bugs becomes a truth.

How silly and unfortunate. I'm glad I don't have COD Bloops.

Not as bad as the message of the day that randomly pops up on the PC(don't know if it does on other versions) which says free copy of Black ops Multiplayer shipped with every copy of Black ops. I saw it yesterday and laughed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.